S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Air temp control knob doesn't work

Old 10-18-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air temp control knob doesn't work

well, the knob that controls the temperature of the air seems to be stuck in the cold extreme. the knob itself moves just fine, but the temperature doesnt change at all, even in vent mode, it is still pretty cold. i took it to the dealer and they said without taking the dash off they cant do anything else to it. is there something i can maybe help point them to, or try myself? has anyone else run in to this. its turning into an issue as nights get down to the 50s now.

thanks
Dave

P.S. i do have an extended warranty, but i am unsure if this would be covered.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HKStallion,Oct 18 2004, 09:51 PM
well, the knob that controls the temperature of the air seems to be stuck in the cold extreme. the knob itself moves just fine, but the temperature doesnt change at all, even in vent mode, it is still pretty cold. i took it to the dealer and they said without taking the dash off they cant do anything else to it. is there something i can maybe help point them to, or try myself? has anyone else run in to this. its turning into an issue as nights get down to the 50s now.

thanks
Dave

P.S. i do have an extended warranty, but i am unsure if this would be covered.
Which extended warranty do you have? If it's Honda Care, the dealer should be able to tell you whether or not this is covered. Otherwise, the company you bought the warranty from should be able to help.

Gee, 50 degrees tonight! I wish we would cool off at night. I just got through watching the 10pm weather report and we're going to be lucky to get below 80 tonight. That, combined with near 100% humidity makes for a miserable, sticky evening.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't let the dealer take your dash apart. The solution may be in the engine bay. Go look near your battery. You will see on the heater hose going into the firewall, a valve. From this valve should be a wire that moves a lever. This lever is what opens and closes the water flow to the heater core. I'll bet that something has caused this wire to slide freely in the holder on that lever. While looking at it, have someone turn the temp dial inside the car. You should see the wire move. If it is not moving the lever, then all you need to do is to secure the wire within the holder on that lever. Since you say it is cold all the time, have the dial set on cold and make sure the lever is at the end of its travel before you lock down the wire.

ps. Make sure you have enough coolant in the system. How's the reservoir level look?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the tip xviper, i checked it out and the heat deflector was actually rubbing the peg that moves the cable, i bent it back towards the engine a little bit and gave it a free range of motion, i can now tell that the temperature is changing when i move the knob. i will really test it out tonight if it doesnt rain.

thanks again

Dave

P.S. it really sucks that honda techs dont have half the knowledge of this board. I could have paid several hundred dollars labor for the dash teardown and they still wouldn't have found the problem that i fixed in 2 minutes.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by HKStallion,Oct 19 2004, 03:35 PM
I could have paid several hundred dollars labor for the dash teardown and they still wouldn't have found the problem that i fixed in 2 minutes.
And you probably would have gotten it back with 'no fault found'
And your dash would probably would have been damaged.
And they probably would have given you a 'courtesy wash' giving you swirl marks in your paint even though you asked them not to wash it.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you got 'er fixed. Simple, wasn't it? Fax me a beer.

Oh, did I mention ........................ My car has never been inside a dealer's service bay since the day I brought it home? With the exception of only a handful of dealers, I truly believe they are totally incompetent.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad to have members like xviper,road rage,fongu,etc. on this board! You can learn so much just reading their posts.

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to you guys.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM

I borrow this thread......I have a problem with my temp control knob. It only works on MAX cold and MAX hot. it´s nothing between. if i turn the knob one klick BEFORE max hot, it just comes cold air. I must put it in maximum all the time. So it is either very cold or very hot air from the AC. I did a self diagnosis test and got fault nr. 1. (Air mix control motor) I can´t find any problems with the motor. it moves... Does someone know what the problem is???
Old 07-24-2010, 03:10 AM

Am i the only one in the hole world with this problem? =/
Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by __Ace__,Jul 24 2010, 06:10 AM
Am i the only one in the hole world with this problem? =/
Probably not but your the only one bumping a 6 year old thread