S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Almost Ran out of Gas this Week --Long

Old 12-07-2000, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help here with information. Monday night I'm driving home from a night with some business associates. About a half hour drive to go home and as I start I look at the gas gauge and I have three bars showing. Looks good, I figure. Should make it home. No high revs and mostly highway driving. About ten minutes into the drive, I start losing light bars and the fuel low warning light goes on. As the lights go off, I look for an exit where there might be a gas station open. After exiting and going the wrong way in search of a station, I locate a station that was open. I filled up with 10.8 gallons. I had no bars left. Here's my comment: When the bar gets to half tank, the bars go out quickly. Quite frankly, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near the mileage all of you are getting, based on the previous posts I've read on this subject.

What's our real tank capacity? Anyone feel that maybe there might be a gas consumption problem. I don't think I'm engaging vtec very often to warrant this precipitous drop in gas mileage. Anyone have comments??

BigRedESS
Old 12-07-2000, 03:17 PM

i think the capacity is about 13 gallons. i think you have about 50 miles once you run out of bars and warning light comes on.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:42 PM

I was coming back from LA last week on 101 and I hit a stretch of about 85 miles where there were no open gas stations. I was freaking out because I ran out of bars about 15 miles from the closest major town. I made it there no problem, but it did have me sweating.
I never knew about the '50 miles after the bars are gone' rule ricosuave just mentioned. If that is true, that would be great. No offense rico, but where did you hear that and can anyone else verify?
Old 12-07-2000, 03:45 PM

Rough numbers I get:
20 miles until 1st bar goes out
10 miles per bar for next two bars
12.5 miles per bar after that

I haven't run it past 1 bar showing. But I put about 10 1/2 gallons with a bar or two showing. I guess each car will have it's own personallity.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:59 PM

well given that the tank holds about 13 gallons and you end up putting 11 gallons with no bars...that leaves about 2 gallons. therefore 2 gallons time 25 miles per gallons is about 50 miles assuming you don't vtec
Old 12-07-2000, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Big Red, I wouldn't worry. According to Honda the S2000 gasoline tank has a capacity of 50 liters = 13.2 U.S. Gallons. If you filled up with 10.8 gallons that left you with 2.4 gallons to go. Plenty of reserve!

I measure mileage on each tank. Whenever you fill up, reset the trip odometer. Next time you fill the tank, just divide the mileage by the amount of gasoline that you needed. Do this procedure for several tankfuls and you'll have a good measure of actual mileage. My car returns 22-27 mpg with mixed highway and city use, but only 10-11 mpg on the track . Let us know how you do.
Old 12-07-2000, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the fuel level sensor or gauge is easily prompted to give a less than accurate reading. Starting the car on a slope or filling while running guarantees an inaccurate read until it is reset by turning the ignition off and restarting on a level surface. Do you think gees also throw it off for awhile? I have had an indicated empty tank take 10.8 to 12.8 US gallons.
Old 12-07-2000, 05:19 PM

For the Canadians out there:

For me when the yellow light goes on it means 60 km. And usually I have 2-3 liters left in the tank just in case.

Yesterday I made a new record of 416 km on 46 liters of gas (97% highway driving doing a steady 140 km/h).

Normally 46 liters gets me about 300 km

Rob
Montreal
Old 12-07-2000, 06:29 PM

I typically get 300 miles on a tank, putting 11.5 gallons with no bars left. 50 Miles w/no bars is about right. I find the warning light to be useless, as it comes on sometimes with two bars, or about 80 miles out.

It is good to really know where your limit is, or you can worry far too much. In my case, taking it this low leads to exactly 3 days commuting round trip, so I can fill up in the same station. If I chickened out, I'd be alternating stations at each end of the commute, and filling up at 260 some odd miles, every 2-1/2 days. That's a pain.

OTOH, you all know that it is bad to run it dry -- that is how fuel pumps are killed, by running with insufficient gas around them for cooling. I'd be feeling guilty if I ever put more than 12.0 gallons into it.

-dB
Old 12-08-2000, 05:55 PM

I also usually wait until there are no bars before I fill up. I'll have around 275 miles on at that point.

Quick Reply: Almost Ran out of Gas this Week --Long