S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone with experience buying a car out of state?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience buying a car out of state?

I am looking to buy an S2000 from out of state, how would you handle the transaction? Would you fly over there to handle the paper work and payment, or can a public notary handle the transaction without me having to fly out there?

I am planing to have a local shop preform inspection, compression, and leak down test, from pictures the car look great, would there be a need to inspect the car in person if the inspection comes out good?

I want to ship the car, but if I have to fly over there to take care of paper work, I might as well drive the car back...

How's the drive from TX to CA? is the trip doable at current weather?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by hkchung113
I am looking to buy an S2000 from out of state, how would you handle the transaction? Would you fly over there to handle the paper work and payment, or can a public notary handle the transaction without me having to fly out there?

I am planing to have a local shop preform inspection, compression, and leak down test, from pictures the car look great, would there be a need to inspect the car in person if the inspection comes out good?

I want to ship the car, but if I have to fly over there to take care of paper work, I might as well drive the car back...

How's the drive from TX to CA? is the trip doable at current weather?
Speaking for my dealership, we usually FEDEX the paperwork to the customer and then once we get it back, the car's available for pickup either from the buyer or the transport company. I would expect other dealers do something similar. You'll probably have do do an online credit app or something similar beforehand, but hopefully they'll be accomidating without making you travel to do the paperwork. You'd have to be comfortable buying something sight unseen, but if you're having it inspected beforehand you should be ok. Hope this helps!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 AM

I am buying from a private party not a dealer. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Unless it was a new car, I would not buy without personally inspecting it first. I have bought 3 cars and a motorcycle out of state, but made the deal in person, and transported them myself.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Damn it i wrote an essay and internet failed and it went away.

Anyways I am gonna make this shorter.

I got my car recent shipped from indiana to so cal. 2200 miles. private party. Initially wanted to go out with a buddy (2 one way air fares i would pay for) and drive it back. I definitely wanted to see what i was buying. I got it shipped for personal reasons and i didnt find a volunteer(someone i can trust that can drive a manual). I flew out, inspect, ppwk, loaded the car (got lucky with shipping and i do not recommend it).

You should take a buddy with you and drive it back. Save money that way assuming you will fly out to see it. And I def. recommend that you go see the car.

PM if you have any questions on my process.

btw, what you looking at if you dont mind telling us.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 AM

It did it again but this time i copied it just in case. (relief)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM

I bought a S2K out of state two weeks ago. Obviously you are going to have to see the car first, unless you trust your mechanic so I did everything in person. The seller notarized the title, I gave them the check and inspected the car and thats all there is to it.

And I did arizona to california, so texas to california is doable, but it's going to take more than a day of driving. Feel free to ask me anything...
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Private party will be different, I used to sell cars and shipped several internationally and to other states. A Dealer has the paperwork to do this type of transaction and just FedEx things that a private party will not have access to.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

If you're comfortable with you & your remote mechanic's assessment, then I don't see why not.

I've bought a car sight unseen 2300 miles away and had it shipped to me. I found a mechanic that specialized in Miata's, and we debriefed for 15 minutes after his inspection, which gave me a good idea about the car.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SKYravefever
If you're comfortable with you & your remote mechanic's assessment, then I don't see why not.

I've bought a car sight unseen 2300 miles away and had it shipped to me. I found a mechanic that specialized in Miata's, and we debriefed for 15 minutes after his inspection, which gave me a good idea about the car.

How did you handle the paper work and payment? did you just send a cashier check out to the seller and the seller send you the title?

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience buying a car out of state?