S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

anyone have an unconventional garage?

Old 02-23-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have an unconventional garage?

Just had a talk with a builder I'd asked to do an estimate for a small one car garage for the S. $25,000 minimum. So I'm now wondering what creative alternatives others may have come up with rather than spend that kind of money. I'm not interested in car covers that you have to put on and take off, or the nasty looking quanset hut things made of fabric. I have thought of maybe a grape arbor type wood deal with the top enclosed. Anyway, someone on the board have a cheap solution to this problem? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:09 PM

Can you get a corrugate metal tool shed thats big enough? I think they sell them at home depot.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:30 PM

I could, but the historic commission would have me take it down as soon as they got wind of it. Anything I do has to have prior approval by them. It sounds bad, but then no one has a purple house with pink trim around here, or broken down cars littering the yard. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-23-2002, 12:40 PM

I am a builder in the mountains of Colorado - an expensive place to build. I imagine that being where you are requires cedar shingles and white trim - guessing a little. Why not build it yourself? A garage is basically four simple walls and a roof. I think I could easily build a garage here with a slab floor for about $30 a square foot.

I may be in North Truro for a week this summer. Have a slab poured, and we will frame it up in a day! Then you can shingle and roof it. Gonna cost you some beers, though!

Seriously, a garage would be very easy, and a fun project!

Good luck - and I will let you know if I come to town!
Old 02-23-2002, 12:53 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

I think you should call another builder first off. $25k for a simple 1 car garage? I think he's trying to take you for a ride, although I can't be sure since I don't know what housing costs are like in your neck of the woods. A garage is pretty simple - a slab of concrete on a gravel foundation, 2x6 walls, drywall optional, no insulation, 1 or 2 windows, rafters to support the roof, and a roof. Nothing really fancy there. I'd think $25k could get you a 2 car insulated garage w/ storage above.

The pre-fab route would probably get the job done, although your neighbors might not be too keen on it
Old 02-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Spammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$25K for a garage, screw that you could buy another USED S2K, so if one got dirty you drive the other one
well, around here they have do it yourself garage kits, basically for gardening stuff or backyard storage. They start around $2000 for a complete *shack* and go up to about $10,000. They do have that barn look, but i do believe you can order a kit that fits your decore!
Old 02-23-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by woodyandy
[B]Just had a talk with a builder I'd asked to do an estimate for a small one car garage for the S.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:25 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Menards, a regional DIY chain store (similar to Lowe's and Home Depot), has several garages in their weekly ad.

$2909 gets you: 24'x24', 20-yr shingles, 16" on center rafters, non-insulated steel garage door, .040 vinyl siding, 7/16" OSB roof/wall sheathing, a service door, and an aluminum sliding window.

$3459 gets you: 24'x24', 30-yr shingles, 24" on center trusses, insulated steel garage door w/ opener, .046 vinyl siding, 1/2" OSB roof & 7/16" OSB wall sheathing, a fancy service door, and a vinyl sliding window.

$4079 for a 26'x30' garage similar to the first one in materials.

Just to give you an idea what you'd pay to put one up yourself.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:07 PM

Are there electric lifts available in the $3-4K range? I would love to have one in my garage!
Old 02-24-2002, 04:20 PM

Well I'm told by all my neighbors etc. that the foundation has to be four feet deep, and with sidewalls the same height as the house minimum. So there's money. The prefab stuff with vinyl siding is not allowed. As SkiBum surmised, it must have cedar shingles and white trim. I've been looking around the net and don't see anything out there in prefab land looking like that. I just can't see the return on investment, and added property tax to boot, to counter the perhaps $5,000.00 increased value in the car in ten years if it were garaged. I will try other builders, but here on Cape Cod you are a captive of the local market. I am essentially thirty miles out to sea after all. Thanks for all the ideas though. Any truly creative solutions anyone know of?

Quick Reply: anyone have an unconventional garage?