S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone know had any suspension damage repaired?

Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know had any suspension damage repaired?

I recently got caught up in a little bit of sleet. As I was turning into my street my car started to slide and I hit a curb going about 2-5 mph. I was wondering if anybody had gotten into a similar situation and if they incurred any damages to their suspension.

Also, what types of damages typically occur with this type of damage and what are the estimated costs, like say if I needed a new control arm or something along those lines. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:33 AM

I'd do tow things:

1) Have a tire shop check the rims and tires on that side of the car for damage.

2) Have the alignment checked by a shop that can do 4-wheel alignments. The shop can also visually inspect suspension components.

If those two things check out then there should be no damage.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jankemi
I'd do tow things:

1) Have a tire shop check the rims and tires on that side of the car for damage.

2) Have the alignment checked by a shop that can do 4-wheel alignments.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:40 AM

I did do alignment, they said they did it to the maximum I guess. But still if I go straight on a street, and let go of the wheel, it pulls to the left very easily. And when I maneuver the wheel, it goes to the left much easier than to the right.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:28 AM

check the tire pressure
Old 02-05-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by YeLLoWs2knVA
I did do alignment, they said they did it to the maximum I guess.
Did they do it to the maximum, or did they do it to manufacturer specs? If they did maximum adjustment and it still isn't adjusted within specs, then there is probably some damage (or they don't know what they are doing).
Old 02-05-2004, 08:21 AM

I TOO HAD A VERY SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, ON THE WAY TO WORK EVERYDAY THERE IS THIS 15MPH TURN VERY NICE I TOOK IT AT 55MPH ONE DAY, PARTLY BECAUSE I BEEN WATCHING ALOT OF DORI DORI AND I THOUGHT I WAS DRIFT PRO, WELL THE BACK END BROKE LOOSE JUST THE WAY I LIKE IT AND AS I BEGAN TO SLIDE I GAVE IT GAS WAY TOO EARLY, MY NATURAL INSTINTCS KICKED IN AND I LOCKED UP THE FRONT BRAKES TOO EARLY INSTEAD OF STAYING ON THE GAS THE BACK END SWUNG AROUND AND WACK!!!! LUCKILY I ONLY DAMAGED THE REAR RIM AND OTHER REPLACEABLE SUSPENSION PARTS AND NOT THE BODY, ANYWAYS ABOUT 1500 HUNDRED DOLLARS LATER I WAS OK. I ENDED UP HAVING TO REPLACE THE KNUCKLE, BEARING, SHOCK UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND RIMS (GOT FOUR WITH BRIDGESTONES FOR A DEAL ON EBAY .)AND LUCKILY NO DAMAGE TO THE DIFFERENTAL. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TAKING IT TOO A DEALER TO HAVE IT REPAIRED ONE BECAUSE THEY WILL DO IT RIGHT TWO THEY HAVE SOME THE BEST EQUIPMENT. I CONTRIBUTE MY ERROR TO 3 THINGS, FIRST OF ALL WRONG DUNLOP SP 8000, TWO BRAKES WAY TOO EARLY IF ANY AT ALL AND THE BIGGEST ONE THINKING YOU ARE A PRO. I REALIZE NOW HOW MUCH OF A ROOKIE DRIVER I WAS THEN AND FAR I HAVE COME ALONG NOW . REMEMBER SUSPENSION IS A VERY IMPORTANT PART IN THIS CAR DO NOT TAKE IT LIGHT HEARTED.

P.S. I AM AN ENGINEER AT HONDA AND I GET A PRETTY GOOD DISCOUNT ON PARTS, SO WHEN AND IF YOU TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER HAVE THEM GIVE YOU A LIST OF PARTS THAT YOU NEED DEPENDING ON WHICH ONE'S I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET YOU A DISCOUNT, HONDA IS KINDA TIGHT ON CERTAIN THINGS. I FEEL YOUR PAIN HONDA GAVE ME A HYBRID TO DRIVE, BUT I LOVE MY S AND IT'S MY DAILY DRIVER FOR NOW. SOMETIMES I LOVE IT EVEN MORE THAN MY BELOVED GT2 SOMETIMES!!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Fed

The shop should have been able to realign to OEM specs. If they can do that everything is fine. If not most likely case is you bent a control arm.

Your car turning to one side could be caused by a lot of things with the tires, and not just an alignment problem.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:37 AM

Well to answer some questions

Yes they did align it to the maximum. And just to make sure, I swapped my rims out for my stockers with S02s and its still the same. I can understand going 55 and hitting something and getting damaged but I was caught in sleet and was trying to make a turn slowly and probably hit it going 2-5 mph.

1500 bucks isnt that bad, as long as its not 4-5k. I'm taking it to the dealer I had done an alignment with tonight so I will keep an update, just in case there other people in the same predicament or unfortunately get into the same problem.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by VTECXLR8TER
P.S. I AM AN ENGINEER AT HONDA
Quick question -- Do they have Caps Lock keys on the keyboards at Honda?

Quick Reply: Anyone know had any suspension damage repaired?