S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone use cruise control?

Old 07-28-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I use it almost every day. There is a section of road I take to work each day that is 45mph. The police frequently monitor it because there are dozens of places for them to hide so it is easy for them to catch people. In addition this road is next to a huge park and I see at least 1 dead deer on the shoulder EVERY week. Cruise helps me to be sure I'm going the legal limit and at that speed I have a better chance of avoiding a deer collision.

I used it a few weeks ago as I went up to Canada for about an hour stretch. I'm amazed at how close to the set speed the car stays. I wonder if this is in part due to the digital dash, I mean the ECU knows THE number of mph. I clicked off about 2 dozen miles on my race stop watch that was set to 1 mile so each time I click the button it gives me the average speed for that past mile. The deviation was not more than 2 mph; some hills and corners were a part of that section. I was impressed.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
... I'm amazed at how close to the set speed the car stays. I wonder if this is in part due to the digital dash, I mean the ECU knows THE number of mph.
True, Triple H!

Last night, I was cruising at 4500 RPM, 80 MPH for almost 30 miles, with NO variation on the dash. RPM, MPH stayed the same. Impressed as well.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:48 PM

I use it all the time, most every time I'm on freeway, going home or to LA, since it's a 40+ minute drive. But I only use it when the traffic is free, when it's not, it's too dangerous to get lazy with the cruise.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:25 PM

Since you guys covered the usuals (leave buried switch on and never touch it again, lightly tap clutch to disengage, etc.), I have just this to add:

Other than long highway trips, I did once use cruise when I couldn't avoid a dirt road. Since our cruise can be set as low as 26 mph, I was able to just idle along and not kick up dust.

However, if you use cruise in a low gear (like 2nd), the car will surge forward, then overcompensate easing off, necessitating surging forward again!

Also, if you sync rpm/wheel speed to slip out of gear without clutching, cruise will understandably NOT disengage (like most cars).

(Not that many do this, but avoid over-revving if you do!)

Randy
Old 07-28-2002, 01:49 PM

Also, if you sync rpm/wheel speed to slip out of gear without clutching, cruise will understandably NOT disengage (like most cars).
I can attest to that - my wife was driving on our way home from picking up our MY2000 (Pennsylvania -> Atlanta). Her first car was a stick Civic, and she didn't have cruise, but would often slip out of gear without clutching. MAN, was she surprised when the revs went up on her

Anyways, she hit the clutch fast and I didn't give her too much trouble for that one.

Kyle
Old 07-28-2002, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was impressed as well - i had it set for about 60 miles at 75mph on a freeway with a fair number of grade changes (i280 north from san jose to sf) and it NEVER varied from 75!

Originally posted by Triple-H
I'm amazed at how close to the set speed the car stays. I wonder if this is in part due to the digital dash, I mean the ECU knows THE number of mph. I clicked off about 2 dozen miles on my race stop watch that was set to 1 mile so each time I click the button it gives me the average speed for that past mile. The deviation was not more than 2 mph; some hills and corners were a part of that section. I was impressed.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:54 PM

I think I've only used it twice. I used it the first time, just to make sure it worked. The second time, I was on a long trip to Temecula, but the traffic was too heavy to use it for long. Besides, it was a lot more fun varying the speed with my own foot.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:01 PM

Yep, I find that I use it quite a bit. It is always on, and when ever I head across town, I use it.
Never in the mountains
Old 07-29-2002, 06:43 PM

Used cruise twice in 2 years and 10,100 miles. Boring!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used cruise control set at 60 going through a canyon once! (asuza mt. for you scali people)

Quick Reply: Anyone use cruise control?