S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ASM Technical Thread! Ask your ?s here!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Why question was more about why does not not exist here in the US. Are they considering it?

I have a race car and I am lookin at all my options. So info about functions/availability would be great. But it sound like availabitly is the problem. As in None to be had.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JONDEMANDsales,Jul 18 2007, 11:51 AM] The 06 Rear Bumper in FRP will be for stock body vehicles.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Jul 18 2007, 12:04 PM
Why question was more about why does not not exist here in the US. Are they considering it?

I have a race car and I am lookin at all my options. So info about functions/availability would be great. But it sound like availabitly is the problem. As in None to be had.
They are not planning to bring the Multimeter here to the US. They said that to revamp the system to make it work for US vehicles was too overwhelming, and they doubt that there would be many people that would want it.

As for availability, it is very limited in Japan. I may be able to source 1 or 2 units still, but even then that would be a stretch.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you share what the differances between the JDM and USDM car that make this a problem?

It is my understanding that the cars are exactly the same as far as sensors, and the like. Only the ECU it differant and that, part of the JDM is ECU is just disabled. So basicly the system would be the same for market to market.

It is one of the slickest pieces of hardware I have seen.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JONDEMANDsales,Jul 18 2007, 07:51 PM
The 06 Rear Bumper in FRP will be for stock body vehicles. If you want to mate the rear overfenders with the bumper, you would have to get the Dry Carbon version. ASM wants to wait before they make a wide version bumper in FRP.

As for the add-on front lip, FRP will be manufactured first. He is worried about producing a carbon version since the front bumper will hang very low. He believes that his customers would be unsatisfied if/when they do damage their Carbon front lip.
I've still got a bee in my bonet over this one....

From the point of view of many of us, the only reason for getting this particular bumper is that it mates up with the over fenders. While the bumper is attractive in it's "skinny" version, the main excitement behind the release of the FRP version was the desire for a bumper that met up with the over fenders to allow the "mini widebody" to be complete.

If you wouldn't mind (I think the guys at Bulletproof have already mentioned it to ASM), putting the bug in Kanayama-san's ear that it would be a good idea to manufacture the wide version ASAP would be much appreciated

It's frustrating because I doubt many are willing to foot the $3500 bill for the dry carbon bumper, but would gladly spend the ~$1300 for FRP. It's also frustrating because it stands to reason that if they can make the wide version in dry carbon and can make the skinny version in FRP that it would be pretty damn simple to make the wide version in FRP as well

Thanks for the tech question thread, I look foward to reading more.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,Jul 18 2007, 12:33 PM
Can you share what the differances between the JDM and USDM car that make this a problem?

It is my understanding that the cars are exactly the same as far as sensors, and the like. Only the ECU it differant and that, part of the JDM is ECU is just disabled. So basicly the system would be the same for market to market.

It is one of the slickest pieces of hardware I have seen.
I dont know what the EXACT specifics are when it comes to what is different. You would logically think that the Meter would work as long as you spliced into the correct wires. However, it isnt the case. I sent a US model S2000 to ASM Japan so they could do their research, but when it came to the Meter, it was no good. Medical Student on the forums would know exactly what is not working. I believe he still has not been able to figure it out. You should really PM him to find out more.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1AP12NV,Jul 18 2007, 12:43 PM
I've still got a bee in my bonet over this one....

From the point of view of many of us, the only reason for getting this particular bumper is that it mates up with the over fenders. While the bumper is attractive in it's "skinny" version, the main excitement behind the release of the FRP version was the desire for a bumper that met up with the over fenders to allow the "mini widebody" to be complete.

If you wouldn't mind (I think the guys at Bulletproof have already mentioned it to ASM), putting the bug in Kanayama-san's ear that it would be a good idea to manufacture the wide version ASAP would be much appreciated

It's frustrating because I doubt many are willing to foot the $3500 bill for the dry carbon bumper, but would gladly spend the ~$1300 for FRP. It's also frustrating because it stands to reason that if they can make the wide version in dry carbon and can make the skinny version in FRP that it would be pretty damn simple to make the wide version in FRP as well

Thanks for the tech question thread, I look foward to reading more.
I have already mentioned it to him, and he is still considering it. His initial thought process was that he was afraid of making a bumper that would "require" the rear over fenders. The only reason the Dry Carbon version was made in the first place was because he wanted to improve on the 04 Version Rear Aero bumper for the Tsukuba Time Attack in 2005. However, plans for the GT Widebody kit took precedence, and he decided to use that aero instead. Even now, if you wanted to order the 06 Dry Carbon bumper, it would take 2 months to build it, since he doesnt even stock that item in Japan.

Also, his long-time customers in Japan, loved the 06 Dry Carbon Rear bumper (wide version) so much, they BEGGED him to build some that were in FRP for non-widebody. Those customers, as well as Kanayama-san, agreed that if the vehicle was being used for the streets, then a non-widebody version would sit nicer on the stock body lines (since not EVERYONE wants rear overfender)

I will keep you guys updated on the progress!!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:36 PM

Not true, everyone wants rear overfenders
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows it going bernard? and please tell Kanayama-san to make the rear with the overfender.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by JONDEMANDsales,Jul 18 2007, 11:37 AM
As for the hardtop (as well as many other parts), if Kanayama-san doesnt see a need to improve it, or an improvement entails a higher cost that outweighs its benefit, then ASM will not bother producing that piece. All in all, ASM is pretty content with the Mugen hardtop.

Wind tunnel testing of the actual ASM car is not performed. His theory is that Honda did an exceptional job designing the S2000 body, and he doesnt want to "destroy" the image and body lines of that vehicle. So working from the stock body, he makes the ASM aerokit from an "aero model" that lets them try out different variations. Check the pic.

The old ASM drift car (the black version) has been retired. They now have another drift car that is turbo. This version is currently competing.
Thanks