S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Audio Controls

Old 06-08-2001, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone find a way to hard wire the audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel to work with an aftermarket deck?
Old 06-08-2001, 05:47 PM

Yes... Sort of. There is a European Alpine adapter that connects the dash controls (all including the mute) to some Alpinr head units...

Check out this thread for all the details...

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...?threadid=12377
Old 06-08-2001, 06:10 PM

And there is always the PAC module if you want to (and can) do it yourself, or Pinky's mod if you would rather have a knowledgeable person doing it. The PAC/Pinky's mod map the dash controls to commands that the aftermarket deck's IR receiver understands. Check out the Electronics forum - it's got a lot of info on this subject - there's multiple threads on this, so if you do a search, you should get lots of hits.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:13 PM

He did say "hard wire"...

The PAC uses the non-visible spectrum... IR

Old 06-08-2001, 06:16 PM

Whoops. My bad.
Old 06-08-2001, 06:32 PM

I'm just messing with you...
Old 06-08-2001, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard wiring will work if you wire it to a radio made by "Catch 22 Electronics."

The European Alpine adapter KCE-865B is great except... You can buy it for $80 from the UK. It fits several European single din heads that fit the S2000. Of course, the European Alpine units won't work well on the USA AM band. The European AM band is set up in 9khz steps and the USA band is set up in 10 khz steps.

You can use the KCE-865B with two Alpine USA DIN and a half units that are slip in replacement for GM/Chrysler radios. Of course they won't fit our car.

Shaner has an Alpine IVA-C800 single DIN cd/am/fm head and the KCE-865B works great for that. Of course his unit lists for $1800 and also includes a video display for DVD and navigation. If you plan to use the IVA-C800 in the stock position, you can't use the video screen because the gear shift prevents it from opening. You can, if you are really talented and adventuresome, take shaner's route and install the IVA-C800 mid-dash, like the JDM S2000's.

Lots of us are hoping that another Alpine single DIN head will have the 3.5 mm jack that the KCE-865B needs to send four of the five dash controls. So far it doesn't look good, at least for 2001.

Anyone can get the "mute" button to work with $4 in Radio Shack parts and a minimum of skill.

Now, the Sony story is different. There's a group over in the Electronics forum working on making their own hard wire setup to link Sony heads to the dash controls.

I decided to get an Alpine CDA-7876 and wired my own mute and installed my own PAC SWI-3. Piece of cake and I like the results.

Barry
"Catch 22--the best catch there is!"
Old 06-08-2001, 11:48 PM

I heard some people have problems with it/ is that true?
Old 06-09-2001, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by S2K Fan
I heard some people have problems with it/ is that true?
Some people have troubles with the PAC unit because you have to bridge the green and black leads with a resistor. Usually a 2.7k ohm resistor is right for model year 2000 and a 3.3k ohm resistor is right for model year 2001. The 2.7 kohm resistor is included with the PAC SWI-3. I bought the 3.3 kohm resistor from Radio Shack for $0.49 (for five). Probably a variable resistor (0 to 5kohm) would be best. Most people just use the 2.7k ohm or 3.3k ohm without trouble.

Some S2000 dash controls are slightly out of spec and you might have one that needs a slightly higher resistor than most.

Also you have to mount the LED from the PAC SWI-3 so that the IR receiver on the radio sees it. My installer wanted to hide it in the grill above the radio, but then you couldn't use the PAC with the radio's door closed. I mounted it right above the radio sticking out a few millimeters.

I thought the PAC would be an "inelegant" solution. After I did the install, I decided I liked it. I also like the idea that I can reprogram the controls.

If you follow MacGyver's web page you can order the PAC for $38.41 plus shipping. My shipping was $9 for two day overnight. The parts for the "mute" are about $4 from Radio Shack. The "Metra" harness is about $12 to $15.

The easiest solution if you don't feel comfortable stringing together components is to have Pinky do it. He does a great job according to numerous satisfied customers here.

I have only slight regrets not having a hardwired solution. Other than having the LED show just above the radio, there's no problem. Some people on the board report a "lag" when you press the buttons, but I don't notice any.

Barry
Old 06-09-2001, 05:58 AM

Barry,

Sound Gate is still working on a solution as well correct?

thanks,
-Shing

Quick Reply: Audio Controls