S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Big Dilemma

Old 04-16-2001, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am 36 and my wife and I are planning on having a kid very soon. She drives a 4runner and I have an Accord V6 Coupe. We have talked about getting an s2k for a while and she has said if you are going to get an s2k you better get it soon. Has anyone been in this situation of owning a two seater and having a baby. I'm sure the 4runner will get most of the baby duty, but can I make an s2k work with a family of three. Anyone else out there in this situation? I'd love to hear your stories: the good, the bad. the ugly. I really want this car bad and don't want to wait till I'm 50 to get it.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:12 AM

If you can do a proper car relay, then the S2000 as your second car would be fine in a family of three. But you need to be able to plan to do the handoff.

Otherwise, any 2 seater would need to be a 3rd car (or 4th).
Old 04-16-2001, 10:25 AM

Do you plan on keeping the Accord? My suggestion is have a least 2 vehicles in the family that have back seats. I currently have a 2000 Oddessey (great vehicle)and a '93 Civic. My wife mainly drives my 2 yr old son around in the Odessey but there are times (like when the Toyota is in for service) that you will need to drive the family around too--I keep the Civic around for this reason. Good luck!!
Old 04-16-2001, 10:45 AM

My wife and I have one 5 year old child and we're trying for another. She drives a Legend 4dr and I drive a ragged out '90 Integra. The Stook spends its days in the garage; nights & weekends playing hard. When we go as a trio, we ALWAYS take the Legend. When two of us go, we take the S2K. The tired old Integra is used ONLY to get me to work and back so that I can preserve the S2k. So I guess I'm saying that if you have a reliable 4dr, I think you can make it with a 2 seat second car. Heck, if your 4dr lays down, rent a Taurus for the week!
Old 04-16-2001, 08:10 PM

There is no airbag shutoff switch for passenger; therefore it is not suitable for children or car seats. Although, that is why you have the suv, right?
Old 04-16-2001, 08:42 PM

The S2000 is one of the most unpractical cars on the planet, ill suited for kids and family life. It sounds as if your heading in the opposite direction right for now. Looks a like minivan or another SUV might be a more practical choice.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:21 PM

My wifes car is a 4 seater, All the other toys are 2 seaters, We have a little girl and 1 on the way...We use the 2 seaters for date night and we switch off when the other has our daughter. I would suggest finding someone to disable the Pass airbag (dont try this at home, heh) If you get one though.

Otherwise I've only had 1 problem; When the SUV was in the shop for service
Old 04-17-2001, 05:26 AM

If you have not already done so, please do some research on children, car seats, and airbags. I am not an expert on the subject and there seems to be alot of differing opinions ... so all I'm going to do is advise you to look into it ...

According to the NHTSA:
"Unless the vehicle is equipped with a cut-off switch for the air bag and the air bag is shut off, under absolutely no circumstances should a parent place a rear-facing infant seat in front of an air bag. There is an extremely high risk of severe injury or fatality in this situation, and a child should never be subjected to this risk. Even if the air bag is shut off or there is no air bag, the safest place for all children 12 and under is in the rear seat."

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/air...upplbag.qa.html

Some other pages that may be of interest:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/air...FAQ's/FrFAQ.htm
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/air...gs/Airbags.html
http://pediatrics.about.com/health/pediatr...blback_seat.htm
http://www.lamaze.com/lamaze/baby/safety/a...3_74337,00.html
http://www.firstbabymall.com/product/carseat.htm

Note that the S2000 does not come with an airbag cutoff switch, and the owner's manual states several times that children should not ride in the passenger's seat.

There is more information on disabling the passenger airbag in the s2000online forums (do a search) and on the NHTSA site.

Have fun,
Derek
Old 04-17-2001, 06:06 AM

1 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Black / Taupe) - Wife's
1 2000 Honda S2000 (Black / Black)
1 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Black / Black)

In the process of buying a house AND

1 kid on the way...

what to do... what to do... what to do...

Thinking about the C70 convertible. Audi is releasing a new convertible for 2002. The BMW 3 series convertible is nice... but there are just too many damned 3 series in DC area. MB CLK is too expensive and dealers are gouging the prices. Nothing else is appealing to me

Won't the baby fit in the trunk of the S2K?
Old 04-17-2001, 07:15 AM

I'm currently in this exact situation. I'm 21 and a proud mother of my 7 month old son and also a proud owner of a white/red s2k 01'. I always told myself that for my 21st birthday I would by myself a brand new car. Previously I had and Integra GSR with a dc intake, n1 exhaust, nuespeed race springs and some other goodies. Although my son was already in this world I didn't want to settle for a family car or settle for anything less. So my boyfriend got an expedition as our family car and whenever we go out together its in the s2k. I do have one regret and that is that whenever I go by myself in the car, my son cannot go with me. But hey that's the purpose of a family car. I figured I deserve one big toy for myself since all the toys will now be going to my son!!!
girlzrace2
white/red 01'

[Edited by girlzrace2 on 04-17-2001 at 08:21 AM]

Quick Reply: Big Dilemma