S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brake duct kit needed!

Old 01-16-2002, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake duct kit needed!

Based on what I saw at Laguna Seca on Monday, and what I have gathered by scrounging through hundreds of old posts, I will note the following points:

1) New brake fluid and pads are a requirement for real track performance.
2) The front brakes simply get too hot during track runs -- rotors warp, seals melt, etc.
3) Front brake ducts would make the situation better immensely.
4) Rear brake ducts would make your wallet lighter immensely, while providing no benefit to braking.
5) There are no complete front brake duct kits available.
6) King sells brake ducts, but installation involves welding, which means you need to drive your car to Chicago.
7) Someone else makes a couple of CF pieces that fit into the faux vents on the front fascia, but they're very expensive and aren't part of a kit that does anything useful.
8) UL and friends are working on their own front-and-rear ducting kit, which sounds promising.
9) Some people have resorted to creating their own Frankenstein brake duct kits, and have had excellent results.

I would like to see a brake duct kit that meets the following standards:

1) Inexpensive. Parts should be made out of expensive materials only when necessary (for heat, stress, etc.) not for the sake of being cool (i.e. CF).
2) Installable by people without tig welders.
3) Uses the faux vents (optional - I just don't like the fact that the vents are faux in the first place, and would like to see them serve some purpose).

Unless I'm a complete retard (I might be!) a kit doesn't yet exist that meets those three standards. This is my call to any and all manufacturing-type people -- make us a real brake duct kit!

- Warren
Old 01-16-2002, 04:58 PM

Yes, I'm very much in support of this idea ... I want a brake duct kit to replace those fake air ducts as well ...

Old 01-16-2002, 06:11 PM

Me too; another customer lining up, wallet open!

My only comment is that I wouldn't mind a solution that didn't use the vents in the front bumper. See this thread for an alternative idea:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=34468

This could be fairly inexpensive, depending on materials, and would work for both front and back.

Ted
Old 01-16-2002, 06:49 PM

I'm also game, front vents would be nice (I could finally install those vent grills that make no sense at present), but front vents aren't a requirement in my book. I definately plan to be attending more track events and I may not ride the car as hard at present, but overtime that may change.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:59 PM

Over my last few events I have seen melted rear seals as well as front, so I am interested in rear cooling also. In my opinion to be worthwhile cooling needs to be sufficient to reduce maintenance costs noticeably. At this point I see brakes as my car's last major weakness. With Carbotech pads and Castrol fluid I get nearly fade free performance with great feel, but the maintenance costs remain too high.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:17 AM

Check this thread. Hopefully we'll see a no-cutting-required brake duct system for sale in the next month or two.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=42527
Old 01-17-2002, 05:46 AM

I'm looking forward to it ... Seriously.