S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brake Ducts Begin Production!

Old 01-01-2001, 09:24 AM
Ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to keep this short (well shorter than I normally would) since I'm in a terrible rush here.

About 9 months into the project, the carbon fiber ducts are finally being produced in quantity.

I apologize to everyone about not being online much in the past couple of weeks, I'm right in the middle of a move to Los Angeles. Tonight my computer gets boxed up and I'll be without net access for a week or two.

I just wanted to post this message before I leave to clear up a few things about these brake ducts and also to start the group buy a little early, hoping to save you all some money.

MSRP for the ducts: $200 each ($400 set) plus shipping

Group buy prices: 10% off for 1-5 sets sold, 15% off for 5-10 sets sold, 20% off for 10-19 sets sold, and 25% for 20+ sets sold.
AND
I'll eat all shipping costs for all customers in the US (on this group buy only)

So actual numbers here are-
1-5 sets: $360 shipped
6-10 sets: $340 shipped
11-19 sets: $320 shipped
20+ sets: $300 shipped

Ok, now some info about the ducts:

They are constructed out of a specially picked carbon fiber weave (for enhanced look), reinforced with a layer of fiberglass cloth, clear coated for best look, and the outsides black gel coated (not visible when installed). We pay close attention to the smaller details, with the weave overlap carefully placed in a corner so its not as visible. Our production process also ensures that there are no air bubbles or other visible imperfections in the carbon fiber.

Installation will obviously require cutting of the car. You'll need to cut away both the black plastic panels in the front bumper as well as exit holes in the inner fender liner. The inner fender liner needs to be removed (quick and easy, 5-10 mins tops) and the ducts are inserted from the back (inside the fender). There are two factory tabs there that the duct can be attached to, if you choose to attach the ducts to the tabs, two small drill holes will be needed (top and bottom). We dont drill these holes because some customers choose to attach other ways and dont want the holes in the ducts. Once secured you need to silicone the edges of the duct to keep it in place, attach the fender lining and your done.

Shops may charge somewhere around 4 hours for the labor, although it can be done yourself with the right tools (dremel is highly recommended).

Additionally, scat tube may be connected as cdelena explained in his post earlier. The ducts we sell are designed to be used without scat tube, however they can be modified relatively easily as cdelena did.

The general idea behind the ducts was to make use of the fake openings by providing brake cooling where there was none prior. Additionally, carbon fiber was chosen to add a little subdued flash to the front end of the car. These ducts look factory when installed and the carbon fiber adds a touch of F1 look to the S2000 without being obtrusive and obvious. Coupled with scat tube the cooling effects can be even greater, however even without the tube cooling is greatly increased over stock (while allowing an easier install and avoiding the tricky routing of the tube).

Additionally, the ducts offer potential for other uses such as a method of channeling air for a cold air intake (as someone earlier mentioned).

Any way you look at it, they are a hell of a lot better than the non-functional pieces of black plastic Honda gives us.

Payments will be accepted via Paypal (I use "bsvtec22@aol.com" as my address for paypal). To get on the group buy, simply send $150 to that paypal account. The $150 will be non-refundable (other than product defect or shipping error). Once the group buy closes we will know the final discounted price and everyone's remaining balance can be paid either through paypal or through COD when the parts are shipped (your choice).

Additionally, for even greater improved brake effectiveness, I'll offer a special deal on a set of Porterfield R4S brake pads for all purchasers of the brake ducts. A full set (front and rear pairs) of R4S pads can be added to the deal for $160 (and I'll cover shipping again).

This group buy will end in early Febuary, that gives over a month to gather up orders and get the lowest price possible.

Any questions? Email me and I'll respond as soon as my computer gets up and running again.

Thanks for your patience through this long prototype and production process, I hope you all find it well worth the wait.

Regards,

Ben
Bulletproof Automotive

PS: I'm very proud to say that I will soon be a sponsor of s2000online.com (as soon as I get my net connection in LA)
Old 01-01-2001, 02:00 PM
Ben

A few pictures:

Old 01-01-2001, 02:01 PM
Ben

And now some install pictures:

Below shows the plastic opening after being cut

The inner fender lining removed

This is where the duct attaches to. Notice the factory tabs, which can be used to secure the duct

Here is the duct after install. (Sorry its all dirty and ugly, this was an early prototype and has been on the car for 6+ months). You can see here how it attaches to the tabs, and my sloppy silicone job around the edges of the duct.

Lastly, installed with the inner fender cover back on.
Old 01-01-2001, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't imagine they would be too helpful w/o the tubing. Sure you will get some flow across the rotors, but I think it would have to be directly ducted to the brakes, just like you see on all other systems.

Cdelena, how did you attact the tube to the brake shield?

And I am interested in the GB if we can reach the $300 price.
Old 01-01-2001, 11:28 PM

Ben,

Great job! I am very impressed by the construction.

I will be sure to order a pair as soon as I find a job.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2001, 02:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik-s2k:
[B]I can't imagine they would be too helpful w/o the tubing.
Old 01-02-2001, 03:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik-s2k:
[B]I can't imagine they would be too helpful w/o the tubing.
Old 01-03-2001, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben:
[B]Here is the duct after install.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:13 PM

Ben, nice job on the ducts. But have you considered a more complete kit that included ducting all the way to the rotors?

I'm very interested in ducting, but I'm not sure this design (as is) will cool the brakes very much.

Also, have you considreed a (professional looking) method to plug the ducts at the opening. I'd like to keep them plugged except for track days. Leaving them open all the time would just allow road junk get into the brakes.
Old 01-03-2001, 01:20 PM

are those scratches all over that car?

Quick Reply: Brake Ducts Begin Production!