S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

breakin oil and other breakin stuff...

Old 03-22-2002, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all...

first, i just purchased my s2000 yesterday...waiting for delivery in a couple of weeks...so excited... so that's why i'm asking such questions. ran searches but didn't come up with the answer i was looking for...

first, i read so much on the board about the break-in oil. how its different and how it helps the engine get stronger...so if my car eats a lot of this oil, then should i replace it with the same break-in oil or should i just put in regular oil?

if i do need to refil the oil with the break-in oil...where would i purchase it at?

if i don't need to refill the oil with the break-in oil, what brand of oil is best? (this is for future reference as well, when i do oil changes, i want the best oil... )

i know, NO VTEC BEFORE 600 MILES...but i've read also that it might be healthy for the engine to rev it up to like 7-8K during break-in. anyone have comments on this? as like everyone on this forum, i want my engine to run at tip-top shape...

lastly, any other advice reguarding break-in...like, how to keep yourself from VTECing prematurely...

thanks in advance!!!

mike
Old 03-22-2002, 09:23 AM

I would have to say that Castrol would be a good oil for topping off as well as your oil changes. You CAN change to a synthetic oil after your second or third oil change. Keep the break-in oil in your engine as long as possible (close to 6000 or 7500 miles) for the best seating. I don't believe anyone (including Honda dealers) sell the break-in oil. Supposedly, there are ingredients in the break-in oil that the engine needs for proper seating. Remember to check the level often and more than once to make sure of the proper level.
Actually, you can VTEC after 600 miles. One way to not accidentally go into VTEC is while down shifting. Make sure you go into the proper gear so you don't over rev the engine.
Good luck and have loads of fun with your new S2000. You sound like you care about taking care of it.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:30 AM

During the break in period of your car I don't think your going to have to worry about adding much oil(if any) because you really need to take it easy on the engine.However after shes broken in and you start driving a little harder is when you really gotta keep an eye on the level.I've added two qts. at the the 3,000 mile mark.Just make sure to use a good quality oil(I use Castrol 10W-30)
Old 03-22-2002, 09:46 AM

I also use Castrol 10W-30 to top of the oil in my S2000.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:07 PM

It's a Honda. Break in oil? hee hee... I changed the oil at 3500 to 10-30 Mobil ONE and ... Oh my god! The engine bearings and rings are still seated... go figure.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Stevens
[B]I would have to say that Castrol would be a good oil for topping off as well as your oil changes. You CAN change to a synthetic oil after your second or third oil change.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The helm shop manual says you can use 5W40. I've never seen this viscosity at the store!

As for topping off, I don't think this would dilute the break-in oil enough to make a difference.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:01 AM

Just to let you know Beavis, your owners manual, along with many others on this site, states not to use a synthetic oil until your second or third oil change. Good luck if you have any problems down the road.
BEAVIS states:
I changed the oil at 3500 to 10-30 Mobil ONE and ... Oh my god! The engine bearings and rings are still seated... go figure.
Old 03-24-2002, 05:51 AM

Mr. Stevens,

Where in the Owner's Manuals does it state not to change to synthetic until after the second or third oil change?

It does not say that in mine. All it says is that it is "OK" by Honda's standard to use synthetic oil in the S2000.

-D
Old 03-24-2002, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '00 owner's manual in front of me:

"Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if it meets the same requirements given for
conventional oil: energy conserving, a service classification of SJ, and the proper
weight as shown on the chart. When using synthetic oil, you must follow the oil and
filter change intervals given in the maintenance schedule."

It was conventional wisdom for years that using synthetic oil in a new engine would
prevent the rings from seating. However, Corvettes have come from the factory for years with synthetic oil, and BMW's also do now. Maybe the S2000 engine is really
different, maybe not.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought corvette engines are run at the factory for break-in?

Quick Reply: breakin oil and other breakin stuff...