S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buyers remorse? Can't seem to pull the trigger.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers remorse? Can't seem to pull the trigger.

Hey guys. So, I've been looking at a few RYP s2k's. I have decided on the color. I found an 07 with about 24k miles for 24k OTD. I sold my Del Sol and civic. I can afford it and have a large down payment. Yet something in me is having a really hard time pulling the trigger. I think it's because I've always been a saver and have never really spent my money.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? How did you guys feel when you bought your S2K?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I was hesitant because I really enjoyed the car I had before trading it in for my S. I pulled the trigger and haven't looked back since. I love my S <3
Old 09-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Well, its not like you're buying a Ferrari or something really extravagent. Its not even new, so you're not taking the new car depreciation. Its really a performance car bargain. Maybe more than you are used to shelling out for a single purchase, but not all that much for a decent car. And this is so much more than just a decent car.

All that said, it sounds like this is going to be your only car. You sold your other cars. So the one potential flaw I see is if your commute and dd requirements will end up racking up a lot of miles or dd wear and tear (door dings, rock chips, etc). You are getting a bargain for how much car you are getting, but you are paying a premium for a low mileage, pristine car. If you're going to quickly squander much of that value by using as a dd, might I suggest a car with more miles?

These cars last if taken cade of. There are more than a few 200k mile cars still running strong, and even some that are 300k plus. Cars that haven't had any major repairs. My point is if you are trying to get the most value, thefe is nothing wrong with going with a car with 3 times the miles, something like 75k miles, that will cost a lot less. Its still going to get you a really nice car, with plenty of life left, just for a whole lot less $$$.

If you have another car to use as a dd, ignore above. If the S is going to be a dd, maybe a pristine, low mileage car isn't the best choice for someone that is looking to get the most value from their money.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 AM

I've still got an SUV for a DD. The S won't be a DD, but since I live in the south, I'm sure it will be driven a bit due to the warm weather we get.

I've driven them, and I love it. It really is a huge step up from the Del Sol. I guess it's just weird for me to spend money.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 AM

I am also much more of a saver than a spender. Having just purchased my first s2k (spending the most money i've ever spent on a car), i encourage you to buy. If you've done your research, and you're not giving away too much money to the bank if financing, this should be a low risk deal. Good luck with your decision
Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Pull the trigger. What's the point of having money if you can't enjoy it? You sold off some assets so you're off to a good start. I was in a similar situation, I sold my bikes ('07 CBR600RR and '12 CBR1000RR) because I don't ride as often as I used to. I haven't had a car payment for almost 8 years and I still have no regrets getting the S.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
How did you guys feel when you bought your S2K?
Best summed up by saying that I'm not parting with it.

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
I guess it's just weird for me to spend money.
Then how I felt probably won't be relevant since that's not me. You've got to sort out how to deal with that.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just like you once OP. When I bought my S2000 it was the most cash I had ever spent on anything at one time, and that terrified me. But the drive home from picking up the car made me forget about whatever I had just spent, and the years of ownership afterwords proved that it was well worth the purchase price.

Now I've drained over 2.5 times the purchase price of the car INTO the car over the past four years. Looking back, its like WTF happened to the old me?!? Hahaha.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at it this way... consider the car an investment. Take care of it and it probably won't lose any value over the next 10 years. You can essentially drive it for free (minus running costs), sell it whenever, and lose almost no money.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I save my money too, but the s2000 was a long time coming and was actually an impulse buy at a key moment in life. If you always question, you'll never get one...just jump off the ledge man

Quick Reply: Buyers remorse? Can't seem to pull the trigger.