S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying a high mileage s2000

Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a high mileage s2000

I see this really affordable 2001 s2k with 150k miles and here is a list of pros and cons that I feel about it.

PROS
1. The 2-3k price diff over miata (that I am looking to buy) is so worth it for my "dream" car
2. I cant get into an s2000 for cheaper - see note at end of post
3. I will be happy if this car can last for 3 years (I will rarely drive this car - perhaps 100 miles a weekend)

CONS
This is an early AP1 meaning there are following 'issues'...
1. Snap oversteer. I wont ofcourse push to the limit on streets (plan to autox) but its a concern that i've always had and thus looked at 2002+ models only.
2. It has 160k miles... thats quite a lot for a sports car but also could indicate that it was daily driven which is a great thing.
3. Clutch buzz, rattling?, tranny issues
4. I can definitely wait around for a car that has everything I want (This car is my 2nd least favorite color and I only hate two colors on the s2k lol)

QUESTIONS
1. Do the cons outweight the pros?
2. The clutch buzz and other such issues - is that a reliability issue or just a comfort issue? I wont be driving more than 200 miles per week (are they al this loud??? http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/dtm...t=MOV04140.flv)
3. I've read multiple threads about the snap oversteer issue and have learn a lot as per my last posts made on this forum in the relevant thread. But I just need some reassurance that this car wont slip out under me while revving upto say 7500 rpms (redline at 9000) and taking turns at 10 mph past posted speed - I can do that comfortably in any fwd car and have no rwd experience)
4. How do I check for clutch or tranny issues. What kind of whine would the diff put out if its bad - any videos? Anything beyond a compression/leakdown test that I need to do?
5. the engine will go 200k easy, but what about tranny, diff, etc?

------
What i'm looking for really is someone to talk me out of this because this car will mostly just sit and be driven for 100 miles on the weekend.
The reason I can't talk myself out of this is because I absolutely love the s2000. Every single thing about it. I read every single thread in the s2000 talk (boredom ftl). I even know how to open the gas tank and secret compartment blind folded and I've only driven the s2k once for chrissake!

Anyway, thanks for any help!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If its your dream car then wait until you can spend a few more grand. a couple more wil make a world of difference when it comes to mileage and condition
Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yup. id wait unless you absolutely need the car. dont rush.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:45 PM

I've been up for the past 3 hours running a nationwide search.
Can't find anything thats drastically nicer for under 12-13k. (for ex: 02 with 70k miles)

thoughts?

EDIT: asking price for this car is $7000 ... its almost half as much as the nicer examples with half the miles.

thanks for the responses
please keep it coming...
Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my '02 mint condition S2000 with 39k miles for less than 14k. You can get one with 50-70k miles for $11-12k.

And an S2000 that's being sold for $7k is probably abused, thrashed, or needs some serious work... you can get a nice RSX Type S for 7k, but an S2000? No...

Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

If it has a clean title and your budget is limited I would consider it.

Clutch buzz is just an annoyance. You don't have to fix it if you can live with it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hondafrvr,Apr 19 2010, 01:16 AM
I see this really affordable 2001 s2k with 150k miles and here is a list of pros and cons that I feel about it.

PROS
1. The 2-3k price diff over miata (that I am looking to buy) is so worth it for my "dream" car
2. I cant get into an s2000 for cheaper - see note at end of post
3. I will be happy if this car can last for 3 years (I will rarely drive this car - perhaps 100 miles a weekend)

CONS
This is an early AP1 meaning there are following 'issues'...
1. Snap oversteer. I wont ofcourse push to the limit on streets (plan to autox) but its a concern that i've always had and thus looked at 2002+ models only.
2. It has 160k miles... thats quite a lot for a sports car but also could indicate that it was daily driven which is a great thing.
3. Clutch buzz, rattling?, tranny issues
4. I can definitely wait around for a car that has everything I want (This car is my 2nd least favorite color and I only hate two colors on the s2k lol)

QUESTIONS
1. Do the cons outweight the pros?
2. The clutch buzz and other such issues - is that a reliability issue or just a comfort issue? I wont be driving more than 200 miles per week (are they al this loud??? http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/dtm...t=MOV04140.flv)
3. I've read multiple threads about the snap oversteer issue and have learn a lot as per my last posts made on this forum in the relevant thread. But I just need some reassurance that this car wont slip out under me while revving upto say 7500 rpms (redline at 9000) and taking turns at 10 mph past posted speed - I can do that comfortably in any fwd car and have no rwd experience)
4. How do I check for clutch or tranny issues. What kind of whine would the diff put out if its bad - any videos? Anything beyond a compression/leakdown test that I need to do?
5. the engine will go 200k easy, but what about tranny, diff, etc?

------
What i'm looking for really is someone to talk me out of this because this car will mostly just sit and be driven for 100 miles on the weekend.
The reason I can't talk myself out of this is because I absolutely love the s2000. Every single thing about it. I read every single thread in the s2000 talk (boredom ftl). I even know how to open the gas tank and secret compartment blind folded and I've only driven the s2k once for chrissake!

Anyway, thanks for any help!
i have a 00'

i've owned the car for almost a year i only experience "snap oversteer" when i first got it, and didn't know the limits of the car and didnt respect it, imo you get snap oversteer(on the street) when you're pretty much looking for it. make sure your tires are intact and at the correct PSI and dont be a menace to the road, and you'll be just fine.

2.miles mean nothing if the car is in good shape. do your HW and look for clues before you pull the trigger.

3. clutch buzz is just a personal thing like the gentleman above me stated. i personally like it but it does no harm

do the cons out weigh the good? IMO no, they appear to minor. Do your hw/research get what you want/can afford. be smart.be safe, and have fun
Old 04-19-2010, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,Apr 19 2010, 04:38 AM
I got my '02 mint condition S2000 with 39k miles for less than 14k. You can get one with 50-70k miles for $11-12k.

And an S2000 that's being sold for $7k is probably abused, thrashed, or needs some serious work... you can get a nice RSX Type S for 7k, but an S2000? No...

The KBB on this car is 6500 for good value and 7500 for excellent for private party.
NADA is also 7k.

Face it. Our beloved cars have dropppppeeed.
The difference between this car and one for 11k is 6000$ and I can't justifying having a monthly payment on a car that will sit at home for the most part

(I'm just starting out my career and feel that I have better priorities at the time)

I guess the question to really ask is...
Would you rather drive a 2001 miata with 100k miles or a 2001 s2k with 150...

EDIT
Thanks everyone for your replies!!! much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hondafrvr,Apr 19 2010, 07:10 AM
Would you rather drive a 2001 miata with 100k miles or a 2001 s2k with 150...
If we're talking about a ~$2000 difference between the cars and the S2000 is just old and isn't thrashed, I'd rather drive, own and buy the S2000 for sure. Can you do your own work on the car? If not, that would be an argument for going with the lower mileage less expensive Miata.

Buying a car without a loan is a good idea.

Does the car you're looking at have a salvage title?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 AM

it's great that you have your priorities straight, not a lot of people do...including myself. I suppose you've done your homework on the high insurance cost, the high theft rate, things that can really ruin you honda s2000 experience, do you have a garage, are you planning on installing an after market security system. I bring up these issues because you seem to be on a tight budget and this car is not the type of car you buy on a tight budget. I'm not trying to discourage you, by all means, if this is your dream car, buy it.

price wise, it's an acceptable price to pay.

Quick Reply: buying a high mileage s2000