S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Buying an S2k (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/buying-s2k-1100942/)

TeslaChicken 09-27-2014 06:56 PM

Buying an S2k

I always thought that having the money/making sure you can afford to buy a car would be the hardest part of car buying?

However, trying to find an S2k in my area is proving pretty tough - I just can't seem to find one that matches my criteria :scratch: Anyone else experience this? Or am I just too picky?

Gotpepsi 09-27-2014 07:56 PM

Depends on what your criteria is!

TeslaChicken 09-27-2014 08:00 PM

<60k miles, not red/yellow/Suzuka, not tracked/raced, no red interior, no accidents, 2-3 owners, not completely molested. Is that too much??

jimmy-buffett 09-27-2014 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23347873)
However, trying to find an S2k in my area is proving pretty tough - I just can't seem to find one that matches my criteria :scratch: Anyone else experience this? Or am I just too picky?

Are you specific on exterior color and/or year? I was. I wanted an '06/'07 Laguna Blue and I found one 60 miles west of me high up in the mountains.

Two bits of advice:

1. Get good at AutoTrader car searches, put in the exact specs you want and search the whole country for the car. Here's the exact search I used for my car: AutoTrader 2006-2007 Blue Honda S2000

2. Go as far as necessary to get the exact car you want. If you need to get a car inspected far away, post up on the forums and see if a local will look at it for you. If it checks out, fly there, buy the car and drive it home. An extra $500-1000 is nothing compared to getting exactly what you want. They aren't making any new ones...

superstuddc27 09-27-2014 08:08 PM

Gotta be patient, or more flexible. or be willing to go out of state.

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett (Post 23347902)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411873000' post='23347873

Are you specific on exterior color and/or year? I was. I wanted an '06/'07 Laguna Blue and I found one 60 miles west of me high up in the mountains.

Two bits of advice:

1. Get good at AutoTrader car searches, put in the exact specs you want and search the whole country for the car. Here's the exact search I used for my car: AutoTrader 2006-2007 Blue Honda S2000

2. Go as far as necessary to get the exact car you want. If you need to get a car inspected far away, post up on the forums and see if a local will look at it for you. If it checks out, fly there, buy the car and drive it home. An extra $500-1000 is nothing compared to getting exactly what you want. They aren't making any new ones...

Yep, I'm searching Craigslist, Autotrader, and Cars.com everyday to see if there are any new listings. I'm less picky on exterior color, I just cannot do the Suzuka/Red interiors at all :(

Originally Posted by superstuddc27 (Post 23347904)
Gotta be patient, or more flexible. or be willing to go out of state.

I guess I should try more flexible. The out of state is tough with my schedule unless it's on a weekend!

2Kaputnik 09-28-2014 07:00 AM

Are you being reasonable with what you are willing to spend? If you cannot travel, you will need patience, but nice ones always seem to come up.

(btw, the 2006 Suzuka does not have the smurf interior!)

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik (Post 23348171)
Are you being reasonable with what you are willing to spend? If you cannot travel, you will need patience, but nice ones always seem to come up.

On a clean one with no accidents and 2-3 owners, I'm willing to spend up to $20k on condition. I saw one locally a couple of days ago: AP2 lip was cracked in two places, interior carpet needed a lot of love, the wheels needed some polishing and buffing, dings here and there. Guy was asking $20 and I said $19 - he hasn't responded to my email or text :scratch: I don't think that's a low ball in any way? Oh well

But I didn't know about he MY06 Suzuka not being blue inside, I'll definitely keep that in mind then!

Orjinal 09-28-2014 07:35 AM

I don't think you're being picky or unreasonable. There is only a short supply of s2000's and even less so for one in decent condition. However as others have said, be patient, be willing to travel, but when you find one in good condition/desirable color/for a good price... jump on it as they sell pretty fast.

redlineracing 09-28-2014 08:40 AM

It can be hard to find a good one.Glad I got mine new.....and don't plan to sell.

\rlr
Carolina

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 10:43 AM

Cheers for the responses. I hate being so picky but I'm planning on spending a good sum of money so I guess it's perfectly fine. I'd be more patient if my Bimmer wasn't on its last limb :crycry:

deepbluejh 09-28-2014 11:02 AM

Be patient. Also, keep an eye on the classifieds here on this site. A good car can be well worth the price of a plane ticket to go pick it up. That's exactly what I did 4 years ago when I couldn't' find the car I was looking for in my area.

slomaro3.4 09-28-2014 11:40 AM

1 word: Travel. I got lucky, mine was "close" I drove 1.5 hours to pick it up, on a total whim haha.

pelayo114 09-28-2014 12:11 PM

Keep looking around. Expand your searches as far as you are absolutely willing to go.
I searched over a 350ish mile radius for about 5 months until I found my car that meets your criteria(minus red/black interior). They're out there. Its just a matter of waiting and weeding out the junk. I contacted the seller of my car within 30 minutes of having posted it on autotrader. I searched on there and forums and plenty other sites about 9 times a day minimum every single day until I found it.
Keep searching and you'll find one that will meet your criteria. Being patient and not settling is key.

darkdream 09-28-2014 12:30 PM

That is easy in California. It just matter how much are you willing to pay.

Tazz92708 09-28-2014 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From a similar experience in finding my S2000....Don't buy what you do not really want. Settling will diminish the ownership experience. As has been already stated, be patient and keep up a vigilant search.You will know when the right vehicle appears. Trust your gut.Don't be afraid to spend a bit more than you think is fair. Ownership of an S2000 you call yours is worth far more than a few dollars not spent.Good luck with your search and ultimate find.Tazz92708

Chuck S 09-28-2014 01:02 PM

I had color at the last item on the priority list earlier this year.

1. "Matching numbers" of all body panels, no damage.

2. '06 or later. Fly by wire, stability control, etc.

3. Under 50K.

3. "Showroom" condition. As near to it as possible. (Note there was a tie for #3).

4. Pure stock or OEM.

X. Color.

I found an Silverstone '06 with 38K miles and in "showroom" condition at a very large Honda dealer two hours way. The carpet were barely worn. Only one (1) non stock or OEM item: The previous owner had buggered the car with Black Einke wheels and Dunlap tires. Was easy to correct.

-- Chuck

After test drive and closing the deal:

https://i1154.photobucket.com/albums...ps115bd853.jpg

Proper wheels and tires:

https://i1154.photobucket.com/albums...ps69bb1361.jpg

2Kaputnik 09-28-2014 02:31 PM

^^ looks sooo much better with the OEM wheels. I'm old school and black wheels just look like somebody stole the hubcaps.

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the words of advice guys!

Exterior color is on the bottom of my list except red/yellow/Suzuka which I'd like to avoid.

Do you guys have any opinions on 2004-2005 compared to the electronic throttle and traction equipped 06+ models? I've heard a lot of horror stories of the VGA module failing and being an expensive fix...

GSteg 09-28-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23348540)
I've heard a lot of horror stories of the VGA module failing and being an expensive fix...

06+ don't really have problems with their VGA, only HDMI. :cool:

Even though the 06+ S2000 has more electronics than the original S2000s, it's very minimalistic compared to the cars of today. If there was issue with VSA, I haven't heard too much about it. You'll get mixed opinion about 04-05 vs 06+. Honda did a wonderful job with the drive-by-wire system that I felt no difference in throttle response. Plus you have the option of getting FlashPro for your car which opens up tuning opportunity.

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 23348657)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411943991' post='23348540
I've heard a lot of horror stories of the VGA module failing and being an expensive fix...

06+ don't really have problems with their VGA, only HDMI. :cool:

Even though the 06+ S2000 has more electronics than the original S2000s, it's very minimalistic compared to the cars of today. If there was issue with VSA, I haven't heard too much about it. You'll get mixed opinion about 04-05 vs 06+. Honda did a wonderful job with the drive-by-wire system that I felt no difference in throttle response. Plus you have the option of getting FlashPro for your car which opens up tuning opportunity.

I can't believe I just said VGA instead of VSA :thumbdn:

Plus I've seen plenty of people thankful that they had traction control in certain situations where they couldn't react as quickly as a computer

Chuck S 09-29-2014 03:33 AM

You can turn the VSA Off if you want to play. But you can't turn it On if it ain't there. ;) My '06, though, is the only S2000 I've owned and have only a dozen miles on a couple of others during test drives. I'm happy with mine. I'll let ya know more tonight if anything is different after a 600 mile round trip! Season is getting short up here on the North Coast and I hope to run at least half of that top-down.

-- Chuck

not4s4l3 09-29-2014 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23347873)
I always thought that having the money/making sure you can afford to buy a car would be the hardest part of car buying?

Hi TeslaChicken,

I had more or less the same requirements like you plus to have it complete with a hard top. It took me about 6 months to find it (that is together with convincing the wife!). 1 owner, 53k miles, mint condition 2009, red leather interior (well I was going for that, black interior easier to find in the UK).

Just be patient and you will be rewarded. Just when the time comes, try to refrain yourself from paying the full amount, do some negotiating as even the dealers are
aware that buyers for a discontinued model are hard to find these days.

Best of luck and will be waiting pictures when you finally get yours!

Heavens Wing 09-29-2014 04:59 AM

I love my RYP. It was between that and the LBP. But mine only had 23k miles on it, one owner, not many mods. The LBP I found was older, had a bad VSA module and way more miles. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. The RYP is an amazing color :D, yet a total love it or hate it type of thing.

Saki GT 09-29-2014 05:07 AM

I waited two months and eventually drove 4 hours to get the S I wanted, and that was in the year the car was being made, so my advice is be patient and be ready to travel a bit.

Reckon 09-29-2014 05:49 AM

Patience...that is the ultimate part in buying an S. Keep to your requirements and thoroughly inspect any S that matches (or comes very close) to what you are looking for. It's getting harder and harder to find a good S but wait it out!

2poor2mod 09-29-2014 08:14 AM

If you're willing to spend significantly more than your budget allows, there is a brand new one at a dealer in NY.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...and-new-s2000/

jkelley 09-29-2014 08:32 AM

I literally searched craigslist and autotrader every single day, multiple times a day, for TWO YEARS to find a clean GPW/tan within 200 miles. I ended up having to drive about 150 miles to get mine.

Unfortunately, these cars have depreciated to a price point where the average Joe can (or thinks they can...) afford them, and more often than not will dog them out (not that that's a bad thing or anything, I couldn't afford a new one either).

At least in the surrounding Columbia, SC area I couldn't find a clean S2000 PERIOD except maybe once every 2-3 months ONE would pop up. But they would be asking a fortune for it.

Be willing to drive to get a clean one, if you want one in the next 6 months or so.

People are incresingly treating cars as "disposable." Finding someone that takes car of ANY car is hard to find nowadays. A lot of times now when I'm in the market for another car I go out with the mentality of "Can I clean this car up to my standards..." NOT "IS this car clean enough for my standards...?" because forget that, none of them are nowadays lol.

TeslaChicken 09-29-2014 01:29 PM

I appreciate all the advice everyone. It seems that patience and travel are the key factors when buying an S. There are some nice ones about 400 miles away from me :(, guess I need to plan some roadtrips over the weekend!

jkelley 09-29-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23349797)
I appreciate all the advice everyone. It seems that patience and travel are the key factors when buying an S. There are some nice ones about 400 miles away from me :(, guess I need to plan some roadtrips over the weekend!

Try to make a fun day out of it somehow. And don't let the buyer know that you're travelling far, they tend not to budge much on their price that way lol.

honda606 09-30-2014 10:46 AM

Just be patient and keep waiting for the right one to show up.

The current pricing on S2000's is simply ridiculous. I saw a 2007 GPW show up in Dallas earlier this week with 25k miles on it. I considered driving up there to try and work a deal until I saw their asking price. $26k. LMFAO! I called up there and spoke with the sales manager and she had the gall to try and convince me that that was a stellar price.

People are so delusional right now with regards to the value of this car. They think it's some kind of exotic that is actually rising in value. $26k for an almost 8 year old car with 25k miles on it. I'm sorry but only fools would pay anywhere close to that price. $26k would imply that the car only somehow magically depreciated a mere $3-4k over an eight year period since no one with any common sense was paying a cent over invoice for this car the last three to four years it was produced, CR excluded.

The problem you have with the current S2000 pricing epidemic is that the dealers want to use Nadaguides.com to determine your trade-in value while at the same time they want to use Kbb.com to determine the asking/retail price of said vehicle. Go look how large the discrepancy is between those two sites with regards to the value of this car right now. So basically they are taking in these cars, like the 2007 GPW I mentioned earlier, and giving the seller like $18k on trade and then turning around and listing it at Kbb prices for $26k thinking they are somehow deserved of making $8k in profit for taking four photos for the web and sitting on it for a week. Scum.

Winter is coming and I can smell the prices dropping like a lead brick. Just stay patient and you'll be able to name your price in another month or two.

jkelley 09-30-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by honda606 (Post 23350985)
Winter is coming and I can smell the prices dropping like a lead brick. Just stay patient and you'll be able to name your price in another month or two.

While I agree that prices do drop in the winter months with these cars you can rarely can name your own price for a clean one... Yes, some of the ragged out ones owned by teenagers with no money you could "get a deal" for but for the clean ones, typically they aren't owned by people like that.

And yes I agree it's frustrating finding a clean s2000 that is reasonably priced but supply and demand is a real thing. You also have to understand that since 2008 the economy has recovered fairly well and 6 years of inflation to boot (even though a couple of those were 'reported' as flat inflation).

honda606 09-30-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jkelley (Post 23350997)
And yes I agree it's frustrating finding a clean s2000 that is reasonably priced but supply and demand is a real thing.

Of course it's a real thing. The problem though is that current owners and sellers want you to believe that the supply of well kept S2000's is extremely low and the demand is extremely high, when in reality it's the exact opposite. Take a look at Autotrader right now. Over 500 S2000's listed. At least 150-200 of that 500 pool are clean S2000's while 50-65 of that 200 could easily be classified as extremely clean near mint. These things are not rare in the slightest and finding one in good shape is not a difficult task. Finding a one owner extremely clean low mileage example that happens to be within 20 miles of your residence. Sure. That could definitely be labeled a difficult task.

People can ask ridiculous numbers for their car all day long. That doesn't equate to the cars worth. Sadly that's the epidemic I'm referring to though. Take a look at the Classifieds section here right now. It's quite easy to spot the dreamers and those that are actually grounded in reality.

jkelley 09-30-2014 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by honda606 (Post 23351011)

Originally Posted by jkelley' timestamp='1412103287' post='23350997
And yes I agree it's frustrating finding a clean s2000 that is reasonably priced but supply and demand is a real thing.

Of course it's a real thing. The problem though is that current owners and sellers want you to believe that the supply of well kept S2000's is extremely low and the demand is extremely high, when in reality it's the exact opposite. Take a look at Autotrader right now. Over 500 S2000's listed. At least 150-200 of that 500 pool are clean S2000's while 50-65 of that 200 could easily be classified as extremely clean near mint. These things are not rare in the slightest and finding one in good shape is not a difficult task. Finding a one owner extremely clean low mileage example that happens to be within 20 miles of your residence. Sure. That could definitely be labeled a difficult task.

People can ask ridiculous numbers for their car all day long. That doesn't equate to the cars worth. Sadly that's the epidemic I'm referring to though. Take a look at the Classifieds section here right now. It's quite easy to spot the dreamers and those that are actually grounded in reality.

Most of the ads I called about on autotrader had already sold. Unless that has changed. But for me, it was at least 75% of the time.

TeslaChicken 09-30-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jkelley (Post 23351053)

Originally Posted by honda606' timestamp='1412103891' post='23351011
[quote name='jkelley' timestamp='1412103287' post='23350997']

Most of the ads I called about on autotrader had already sold. Unless that has changed. But for me, it was at least 75% of the time.
[/quote]

It's still a thing in regards to selling. I saw one of the cleanest 2006 Berlina with 36k on it a week ago. Guy was asking $22.5 so I felt a little eh about it but I'm sure we could have agreed on something under. Texted him about the price yesterday and it's already sold...

Car Analogy 09-30-2014 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken

I've seen plenty of people thankful that they had traction control in certain situations where they couldn't react as quickly as a computer

Let me add that you also can't selectively apply the brakes to one corner of the car at a time like VSA can. I find VSA very useful when driving on the highway in heavy rain.

TeslaChicken 09-30-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy (Post 23351163)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken

I've seen plenty of people thankful that they had traction control in certain situations where they couldn't react as quickly as a computer

Let me add that you also can't selectively apply the brakes to one corner of the car at a time like VSA can. I find VSA very useful when driving on the highway in heavy rain.

Agreed. As I plan on using this as a daily driver, I will be driving it on exhausted days, bad days, stressful days, etc. Knowing a computer can be there to help me on those days makes me feel a little more secure.

S2Ko0o 09-30-2014 01:58 PM

It took me a couple of months to find my first 06 Suzuka Blue, it was mint with 18,000 miles on it. I ended up selling it a couple of years ago, regretted it ever since. Recently I got the itch again and looked, after 2 days I had a pretty mint 02 Berlina Black sitting in the driveway, albeit with much higher mileage, but well kept and clean title.

Marioshi 09-30-2014 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23347899)
<60k miles, not red/yellow/Suzuka, not tracked/raced, no red interior, no accidents, 2-3 owners, not completely molested. Is that too much??

You might loosen up on the mileage a little. The newest of these cars is 5 years old and people tend to drive them like a regular car or tuck them away in a garage which means most 5-10 year old examples will have over 60k miles. The ones that have less than that tend to go for a premium. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything with less than 100k on it, these are very reliable cars although I wouldn't pay 20k for one either. Keep looking, your s2000 is out there somewhere.

TeslaChicken 09-30-2014 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Marioshi (Post 23351256)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411876819' post='23347899

You might loosen up on the mileage a little. The newest of these cars is 5 years old and people tend to drive them like a regular car or tuck them away in a garage which means most 5-10 year old examples will have over 60k miles. The ones that have less than that tend to go for a premium. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything with less than 100k on it, these are very reliable cars although I wouldn't pay 20k for one either. Keep looking, your s2000 is out there somewhere.

Hm, I never thought under 100k miles was safe? I guess I still have my BMW reliability mindset when buying a Honda...

2Kaputnik 09-30-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by honda606 (Post 23350985)
The problem you have with the current S2000 pricing epidemic is that the dealers want to use Nadaguides.com to determine your trade-in value while at the same time they want to use Kbb.com to determine the asking/retail price of said vehicle. Go look how large the discrepancy is between those two sites with regards to the value of this car right now. So basically they are taking in these cars, like the 2007 GPW I mentioned earlier, and giving the seller like $18k on trade and then turning around and listing it at Kbb prices for $26k thinking they are somehow deserved of making $8k in profit for taking four photos for the web and sitting on it for a week. Scum.

You may recall that the S2000 is no longer being made.... :ponder:. It's just supply and demand and I totally fail to see any of your arguments. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy an S2000, so why not try to "buy low and sell high?"

If I was selling mine (:roflmao:) I would do the exact same thing hoping I had just the right car for somebody willing to part with the $$. A buyer should be educated and know exactly what they should or shouldn't be spending.

jimmy-buffett 10-01-2014 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 23348465)

Mine came with those wheels, I hated them. They were the devil for brake dust. Found a set of CR wheels (fewer spokes, darker color) and they don't show the dust nearly as bad.

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23348540)
Do you guys have any opinions on 2004-2005 compared to the electronic throttle and traction equipped 06+ models? I've heard a lot of horror stories of the VGA module failing and being an expensive fix...

With the '06 you get traction control. Stick around and count how many "spun my S and totaled it" threads you see in a year, and those are just the ones who post about it.

Also, the '06+ ECU is so much easier to tune, all you do is flash it. Intakes/exhausts just make the car sound better, they have a negligible effect on performance for their cost. But tuning? Here's my car before and after a tune, where VTEC engagement was lowered to 5100 RPM's:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/12...0/716/gfuf.jpg

At the point where VTEC used to switch, I'm ~19 horsepower higher and that's not counting any of that area under the curve before that point. Power delivery is *so much smoother* through that RPM range.

jimmy-buffett 10-01-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Marioshi (Post 23351256)

$18,250 for my '06 with 42K miles on it.

With that said, I got a pretty sweet deal. The car was sitting on a Subaru lot in Silverthorne, Colorado (elevation 8800) in October, ski season is 2 months away and while my sales guy was off "talking to the manager" another sales guy tells me that I was lucky that they still had the car, they were going to ship it off for auction on Monday.

I'd have paid $22K for this car. It's worth it, and finding that perfect S2000 is a lot harder than making the money to buy it.

RTZX9R 10-01-2014 08:47 AM

Took me a few solid months (8 years ago) to find my 2004 GPW - which was the only color I wanted. 6,000 miles and 99% perfect. It was about an hour away.

When I bought my Ducati, took me about a year and I had to travel 12 hours. Much harder to find an older bike in perfect condition.

Langelo DeMysterioso 10-01-2014 09:57 AM

Put the word out that you are looking. My wife found my first S in a showroom about 20 miles from home. My next S was found by someone on this forum who knew I was looking. I waited about 6 months before it came up. It had to be black with as low miles as possible. I wasn't even sure that I was going to get another S. I even bought a hardtop when I had no car. :rolleyes: Now the hardtop sits on my second berlina that I bought with only 3000 miles on it at purchase. :thumbup:
Like others here say Patience is Key.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/g...8240_44823.jpg

mugen_rsx09 10-01-2014 11:04 AM

Found what you need in life. :thumbup:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...iles-maryland/

Ohnothimagen 10-01-2014 11:22 AM

It is interesting to read this thread, especially now. When I joined the forum 6-7 years ago I thought an S2K was just around the corner. Found one not far from work, price a little higher than I wanted to go, but it might have worked. Two unfortunate life developments got in the way - we still had another year of car payments on another vehicle, and my daughter started college. Life happens.

Fast forward. Car payment has been gone for a year now, daughter is now in vet school, but the bills are mostly all hers. My daily is getting on in years and miles so now the search begins again. I too am finding the same price issues. Lower mileage cars with 2-3 owners within 200 miles are easily $20k+. I've found two exceptions, both 2007 and on the surface seem interesting. One has had FIVE owners, both lease and personal, and from Florida to Georgia to the Midwest. The other one, two owners and fairly low miles. Priced around $18,5 the car had at some point been stolen. My guess that blemish on its past is keeping the buyers at bay.

thomsbrain 10-01-2014 12:01 PM

With your criteria, you're looking at another $2000+ and be willing to ship/travel.

Mr_Pacman 10-01-2014 12:03 PM

I looked for over 6 months before I found mine and ended up buying in another city 3 hours away. There are not as many S2000's in Canada as there are in the US and my experience was most of the cars fell into 2 groups: Low mileage, pristine, pampered cars or high mileage, clapped out, modified cars that were driven hard. I really couldn't find something in the middle.

The prices on the low mileage cars were ridiculous and I wasn't interested in the higher mileage ones. I really wanted a 2005/2006/2007 with 75,000 kms (46,000 miles) but whenever they popped up for sale, they were priced only a few thousand less than the higher mileage cars and they always seemed to sell quite quickly while the slightly higher priced low mileage cars were not moving.

Eventually, I stumbled upon a 2009, one owner car with 21,000 km's (13,000 miles). Looked brand spanking new except for some wear/tear on the drivers side seat bolster from metal rivets on jeans. I made a fair offer and the seller accepted.

The right car will be out there but, as mentioned, you might have to expand your search geography and criteria a bit.

amani 10-01-2014 12:19 PM

Just like others said, patient is the key, and don't compromise against what you are looking for, be patient. Took me 6 long months and reading ads. every other minutes. At one point I was going to compromise with the exterior color, good thing I didn't. Wait for what you really want to show up. But are you sure you don't want RYP or red interior? they are hot. I never really like red interior until I had a 85 RX7 red leather trim and it's beautiful; never looked at yellow car at all and think they are tacky till test drove one and they glow, and love RYP ever since. Just thoughts, you really have to try things out to find out. Welcome to the group, good luck and post pics once you got yours.

TeslaChicken 10-01-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ohnothimagen (Post 23352638)
Fast forward. Car payment has been gone for a year now, daughter is now in vet school, but the bills are mostly all hers. My daily is getting on in years and miles so now the search begins again. I too am finding the same price issues. Lower mileage cars with 2-3 owners within 200 miles are easily $20k+. I've found two exceptions, both 2007 and on the surface seem interesting. One has had FIVE owners, both lease and personal, and from Florida to Georgia to the Midwest. The other one, two owners and fairly low miles. Priced around $18,5 the car had at some point been stolen. My guess that blemish on its past is keeping the buyers at bay.

That's exactly my issue as of late. I can find nice AP2s but either one was 5 owners, heavy oil residue in the exhaust, accidents, stolen, etc etc. For example, a 2007 GPW popped up on Craigslist. Everything looked great until the owner said it was in an accident...

Originally Posted by thomsbrain (Post 23352694)
With your criteria, you're looking at another $2000+ and be willing to ship/travel.

Took me a little to realize that - I'm going to up my mileage.

jkelley 10-01-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23352852)
Took me a little to realize that - I'm going to up my mileage.

In my opinion, if you can buy a higher mileage S from a member of these boards that is always wanting to learn how to make the car "right" and keep up with the maintenance religiously... that's worth a LOT more to me than just a low mileage S.

deepbluejh 10-01-2014 03:04 PM

These cars take mileage really well so long as they have not been abused. I would not worry about getting a <60k mile car.

gerry100 10-02-2014 07:53 AM

No cars are moneymakers but the S2000 is probably the lowest depreciating sportscar you can buy combined with the lowest maintenance cost.( if they have't been effed with)

I'm a Porsche guy but when I wanted a fun car for retirement the S2000 beat the Boxster hands down for these reasons. I can't tolerate $1000+ surprises like I used to.

IMHO, if you can invest a few $K more upfront on a clean, low mileage car you'll come out ahead in the long run,both in depreciation and overall operating costs.

TeslaChicken 10-02-2014 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerry100 (Post 23353763)
No cars are moneymakers but the S2000 is probably the lowest depreciating sportscar you can buy combined with the lowest maintenance cost.( if they have't been effed with)

I'm a Porsche guy but when I wanted a fun care for retirement the S2000 beat the Boxster hands down for these reasons. I can't tolerate $1000+ surprises like I used to.

IMHO, if you can invest a few $K more upfront on a clean, low mileage car you'll come out ahead in the long run,both in depreciation and overall operating costs.

It's tough finding those clean ones though... I'm eyeing an 06 Berlina with 36k on it. Someone else is interested but the owner said he feels like the person might fall through so I'm happily in line!

Btw, I saw an 06 the other day. LBP with 74k miles on it. The front lip was help on by zipties, sagged so the bumper was all scratched on the lower side, one of the wheels was chipped bad, bunch of rock hits, etc etc. Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot." I laughed so hard and just left :D

RMurphy 10-02-2014 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23354192)
Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot."

That doesn't even make sense. If they are not there to make a profit and are only there to get the cars off the lot, then they would be perfectly willing to drop the price to make a sale. And aside from that, of course they are there to make a profit. Every business is looking to make a profit. It's just a question of how much. There would be no point in a business existing if it didn't make a profit. By definition, a business exists to make a profit. Otherwise, it's just somebody's hobby.

TeslaChicken 10-02-2014 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy (Post 23354294)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1412281458' post='23354192
Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot."

That doesn't even make sense. If they are not there to make a profit and are only there to get the cars off the lot, then they would be perfectly willing to drop the price to make a sale. And aside from that, of course they are there to make a profit. Every business is looking to make a profit. It's just a question of how much. There would be no point in a business existing if it didn't make a profit. By definition, a business exists to make a profit. Otherwise, it's just somebody's hobby.

I remember going with my dad when he was looking for a new car. We ended up looking at that tiny little Lexus hybrid hatch and the same thing happened. A few days later, we get a call from Lexus customer service who apologized wholly for the incident - I don't like this trend of dealers thinking they're like Carmax... Don't get me wrong, I fully understand they're there to make a profit, it's just ridiculous that they're being so stubborn about the price? You're a mobile home looking car dealer with maybe 30 cars in your inventory, what do you mean the price on the car is barely negotiable? I mean what, they picked that car up at an auction for... $13-15k?

EJAP2 10-02-2014 06:14 PM

Take your time with picking your S. Took me 5 months before I found my perfect lady S. I love her more and more every single day. :)

Aes2K 10-02-2014 07:22 PM

I spent a solid 18 months looking. Watching the DFW market. Waiting for the perfect S, and for my situation to be right. It was always one or the other. Everything finally aligned last weekend and I got an 04 BB with 81k. As everyone has said... Patience. This isn't a car that sold hundred of thousands of units where you can pick one up any day of the week. Consider the # made, assume a bunch of those are dead, and another chunk are happily in a relationship. Pickins be slim...

Don't settle for a shitty one! Adjust your expectations, sure, to what is reasonable and realistic. I knew unless I was willing and able to shell out 20+ grand, I wasn't going to get one 100% perfect. (In DFW I've seen two CRs sell for 28ish. That would be the dream...)

Syn 10-03-2014 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23348195)

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik' timestamp='1411916437' post='23348171

On a clean one with no accidents and 2-3 owners, I'm willing to spend up to $20k on condition. I saw one locally a couple of days ago: AP2 lip was cracked in two places, interior carpet needed a lot of love, the wheels needed some polishing and buffing, dings here and there. Guy was asking $20 and I said $19 - he hasn't responded to my email or text :scratch: I don't think that's a low ball in any way? Oh well

But I didn't know about he MY06 Suzuka not being blue inside, I'll definitely keep that in mind then!

I didn't read through every reply so apologies if this was already covered...

The 06 Suzukas actually do have blue on the interior, just not nearly as much as the pre-06 cars. In the pre-06 cars everything is blue (dash, console, roll hoops, door panels, seats, carpet). In the 06 it is only the seats and carpet. The rest is black. As another follow-up, you can purchase fitted seat covers that look like they are OEM--they are branded "Clazzio". I bought some black seat covers since my car's driver seat had some wear on it and now the only blue part of my interior is the carpet. Over the years I've had several people comment that they really liked my interior vs. other Suzuka cars.

2Kaputnik 10-03-2014 06:07 AM

The 06 Suzukas actually do have blue on the interior, just not nearly as much as the pre-06 cars. In the pre-06 cars everything is blue (dash, console, roll hoops, door panels, seats, carpet). In the 06 it is only the seats and carpet. The rest is black. As another follow-up, you can purchase fitted seat covers that look like they are OEM--they are branded "Clazzio". I bought some black seat covers since my car's driver seat had some wear on it and now the only blue part of my interior is the carpet. Over the years I've had several people comment that they really liked my interior vs. other Suzuka cars.
Same here. I put the black Clazzio alcantra center covers on when my car was new. Pulled them off the other day to do a leather treatment on my actual seats and wow they still look brand new! Once the Clazzio's are broken in and "molded" to your seats, I found that I can slide them on and off with ease - no need to pull out the seats.

PS - oops sorry for thread hijacking :tipwink: . Good luck with your search OP. Take your time and save more $. You can't really over pay for the S2K that is perfect for you.

TeslaChicken 10-03-2014 08:27 AM

No worries! I haven't actually even seen an 06 Suzuka for sale - all of them so far have been older.

And I don't mind the blue seats and carpet, I just can't do the whole dash and doors and divider being blue, it's too much for my taste...

But I'll keep that in mind!

EK5858 10-04-2014 05:29 PM

It took me several months to find my 04 Suzuka Blue in the DFW area. I would check autotrader daily and the good cars would normally sale within a couple days. The ones that didn't sale quickly were the over priced ones or extremely beat up ones. It was hard to find one for a reasonable price that seemed to be un-molested. Alot of the ones in the DFW area seem to be wore out and owned by wanna be racers. Just be patient. I would search up to 500 miles from DFW and ended up finding mine about 100 miles away.

Old racer 10-05-2014 10:37 PM

In Australia Honda made the S a high margin low volume car. With that & our low dollar at the time, they were a $70,000+ car.

I started looking when my son pinched, [borrowed he reckons] my 330 BHP 4.6L Triumph TR8. It took many months. I found a couple of 70,000 kilometer, [40,000 miles] cars that were not quite what I wanted, either battered or wrong colours etc. Finally a 27,000 kilometer, [17,000 miles] 2001 car came on the market. It was 400 Kilometers away, yellow, & a silly price so I resisted for some months.

Then the price dropped to $32,000, my lady & I had a free weekend, so I had a look. It was absolutely immaculate, & I couldn't resist.

Five hours by train & 4 driving a couple of days later she was mine, & home. The car is perfect, I'm even getting to really like yellow. I've done 15,000 kilometers in approaching 4 years, so now has still only done 42,000 kilometers, [26,000 miles], & is no less immaculate.

I loved the little S600 back in the 60s, really liked the early Prelude that was my daughters first car. If only they had driven the right wheels. Now I have just what I want in a car, thank you Mr. Honda.

DanBurke 10-06-2014 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23351310)

Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1412115113' post='23351256
[quote name='TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411876819' post='23347899']

Hm, I never thought under 100k miles was safe? I guess I still have my BMW reliability mindset when buying a Honda...
[/quote]

BMW has their 50K warranty for a reason. They are over engineered. Tolerances are too tight. This does not bode well for wear.

DanBurke 10-06-2014 09:23 AM

Your expectations and price point are right on the bottom edge of retail value. You have obviously done your homework. I know a guy who is a wholesale buyer/seller for a living. Another option for you, might be to contract with a professional buyer and get a lower mileage car where he gets a quick turnaround on his money and you can get an even lower mileage car at your current price point or less where both guys win. Or, you can start monitoring the wholesale auctions and get rid of the middle guy altogether.

TeslaChicken 10-06-2014 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Old racer (Post 23357772)
In Australia Honda made the S a high margin low volume car. With that & our low dollar at the time, they were a $70,000+ car.

I started looking when my son pinched, [borrowed he reckons] my 330 BHP 4.6L Triumph TR8. It took many months. I found a couple of 70,000 kilometer, [40,000 miles] cars that were not quite what I wanted, either battered or wrong colours etc. Finally a 27,000 kilometer, [17,000 miles] 2001 car came on the market. It was 400 Kilometers away, yellow, & a silly price so I resisted for some months.

Then the price dropped to $32,000, my lady & I had a free weekend, so I had a look. It was absolutely immaculate, & I couldn't resist.

Five hours by train & 4 driving a couple of days later she was mine, & home. The car is perfect, I'm even getting to really like yellow. I've done 15,000 kilometers in approaching 4 years, so now has still only done 42,000 kilometers, [26,000 miles], & is no less immaculate.

I loved the little S600 back in the 60s, really liked the early Prelude that was my daughters first car. If only they had driven the right wheels. Now I have just what I want in a car, thank you Mr. Honda.

That's crazy how 'overpriced' the S is there, but it's nice how close the car must be with you now due to the traveling! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by DanBurke (Post 23357995)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1412117860' post='23351310
[quote name='Marioshi' timestamp='1412115113' post='23351256']
[quote name='TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411876819' post='23347899']

[/quote]

BMW has their 50K warranty for a reason. They are over engineered. Tolerances are too tight. This does not bode well for wear.
[/quote]

I've slowly come to find that out with my 2003 530i. I've done everything from a whole cooling overhaul, new transmission mounts, new center support bearing, flex disk, electrical work due to corrosion in many places... it's officially become a money pit for me and that's the reason I want to move on to an S.

Originally Posted by DanBurke (Post 23358461)
Your expectations and price point are right on the bottom edge of retail value. You have obviously done your homework. I know a guy who is a wholesale buyer/seller for a living. Another option for you, might be to contract with a professional buyer and get a lower mileage car where he gets a quick turnaround on his money and you can get an even lower mileage car at your current price point or less where both guys win. Or, you can start monitoring the wholesale auctions and get rid of the middle guy altogether.

That's a really solid compliment, thank you! If one thing, I know I've seen a lot of time researching the market on this car and I'm not trying to get skimped.

BuiltforSin 10-07-2014 06:34 AM

A S2000 has been a dream car of mine so I want it to be perfect. It's hard to find a good condition one, under 100k, and with a hardtop that I can afford. By the way, first post here! Hi guys!

TeslaChicken 10-07-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BuiltforSin (Post 23359808)
A S2000 has been a dream car of mine so I want it to be perfect. It's hard to find a good condition one, under 100k, and with a hardtop that I can afford. By the way, first post here! Hi guys!

Welcome! :hello:

If you're committed to getting a top, look into the OEM ones. Harder to find and more expensive but a nicer seal and fit :thumbup:

neuronbob 10-07-2014 05:08 PM

It took me about three months to find what I was looking for, a low mileage silver AP1. Yeah, I know silver is a dime a dozen in the S2000 world, but low mileage was the hard part for someone like me looking for an AP1 (I wanted a "raw" driving experience with as little electronics as possible). In any case, I found mine about 80 miles away, via Autotrader. 6 1/2 years later, I'm still happy. You will be, too. Don't settle.

2Kaputnik 10-07-2014 08:24 PM

Here's your baby! A lot of people are squawking about insane prices, but somebody may pay close to the asking price for this.

Its just a few minutes from where I live and my favorite color combo too. Hmmm.... :ponder:

http://www.hanselhonda.com/used/Hond...f9606abac6.htm

Marioshi 10-08-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik (Post 23360847)
Here's your baby! A lot of people are squawking about insane prices, but somebody may pay close to the asking price for this.

Its just a few minutes from where I live and my favorite color combo too. Hmmm.... :ponder:

Definitely a nice color combo. I didn't realize the 2008 had a different dash than previous AP2s... weird.

TeslaChicken 10-08-2014 07:13 AM

There's one on Craiglist with this exact color combo near me for 18.5

I'm not sure I can do the red interior...

RMurphy 10-08-2014 07:33 AM

If the pictures are an accurate representation of the condition of that car, that thing is absolutely perfect. Of course, with that low of mileage it should be, I suppose.

Color combo is nice. The mix of red and black interior is very tasteful and I like it a lot. Silver is not my favorite color, but this one is really sweet looking.

$28k does seem high, but considering it's in showroom condition, it's not crazy that they are starting at that price.

Marioshi 10-08-2014 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23361339)

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik' timestamp='1412742294' post='23360847

There's one on Craiglist with this exact color combo near me for 18.5

I'm not sure I can do the red interior...

First off, its Red/Black unless you are talking about an AP1 with the all Red interior (in which case I agree, its overly intense). The Red/black is very attractive in its different forms and this one with the all red seat surfaces with the black backs and red stitching is very classy. You could always swap the carpets/seats with someone (black seats are pretty easy to find) I have to say it sounds pretty weird to hear someone say "I am looking for a 2 seater convertible sports car but I don't think I can handle Red seats". I have found this chart to be very helpful in narrowing things down if you are very particular about color combos/years. I tend to buy on price > condition > mileage > year > color. There really is no bad S2000 IMO

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=657632

Would you pass on a Silver/Red 300SL gullwing? I hope not!

http://i.dmarge.com/2013/10/1955-mer...l-gullwing.jpg