S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Buying an S2k (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/buying-s2k-1100942/)

TeslaChicken 09-28-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 23348657)

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411943991' post='23348540
I've heard a lot of horror stories of the VGA module failing and being an expensive fix...

06+ don't really have problems with their VGA, only HDMI. :cool:

Even though the 06+ S2000 has more electronics than the original S2000s, it's very minimalistic compared to the cars of today. If there was issue with VSA, I haven't heard too much about it. You'll get mixed opinion about 04-05 vs 06+. Honda did a wonderful job with the drive-by-wire system that I felt no difference in throttle response. Plus you have the option of getting FlashPro for your car which opens up tuning opportunity.

I can't believe I just said VGA instead of VSA :thumbdn:

Plus I've seen plenty of people thankful that they had traction control in certain situations where they couldn't react as quickly as a computer

Chuck S 09-29-2014 03:33 AM

You can turn the VSA Off if you want to play. But you can't turn it On if it ain't there. ;) My '06, though, is the only S2000 I've owned and have only a dozen miles on a couple of others during test drives. I'm happy with mine. I'll let ya know more tonight if anything is different after a 600 mile round trip! Season is getting short up here on the North Coast and I hope to run at least half of that top-down.

-- Chuck

not4s4l3 09-29-2014 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23347873)
I always thought that having the money/making sure you can afford to buy a car would be the hardest part of car buying?

However, trying to find an S2k in my area is proving pretty tough - I just can't seem to find one that matches my criteria :scratch: Anyone else experience this? Or am I just too picky?

Hi TeslaChicken,

I had more or less the same requirements like you plus to have it complete with a hard top. It took me about 6 months to find it (that is together with convincing the wife!). 1 owner, 53k miles, mint condition 2009, red leather interior (well I was going for that, black interior easier to find in the UK).

Just be patient and you will be rewarded. Just when the time comes, try to refrain yourself from paying the full amount, do some negotiating as even the dealers are
aware that buyers for a discontinued model are hard to find these days.

Best of luck and will be waiting pictures when you finally get yours!

Heavens Wing 09-29-2014 04:59 AM

I love my RYP. It was between that and the LBP. But mine only had 23k miles on it, one owner, not many mods. The LBP I found was older, had a bad VSA module and way more miles. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. The RYP is an amazing color :D, yet a total love it or hate it type of thing.

Saki GT 09-29-2014 05:07 AM

I waited two months and eventually drove 4 hours to get the S I wanted, and that was in the year the car was being made, so my advice is be patient and be ready to travel a bit.

Reckon 09-29-2014 05:49 AM

Patience...that is the ultimate part in buying an S. Keep to your requirements and thoroughly inspect any S that matches (or comes very close) to what you are looking for. It's getting harder and harder to find a good S but wait it out!

2poor2mod 09-29-2014 08:14 AM

If you're willing to spend significantly more than your budget allows, there is a brand new one at a dealer in NY.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...and-new-s2000/

jkelley 09-29-2014 08:32 AM

I literally searched craigslist and autotrader every single day, multiple times a day, for TWO YEARS to find a clean GPW/tan within 200 miles. I ended up having to drive about 150 miles to get mine.

Unfortunately, these cars have depreciated to a price point where the average Joe can (or thinks they can...) afford them, and more often than not will dog them out (not that that's a bad thing or anything, I couldn't afford a new one either).

At least in the surrounding Columbia, SC area I couldn't find a clean S2000 PERIOD except maybe once every 2-3 months ONE would pop up. But they would be asking a fortune for it.

Be willing to drive to get a clean one, if you want one in the next 6 months or so.

People are incresingly treating cars as "disposable." Finding someone that takes car of ANY car is hard to find nowadays. A lot of times now when I'm in the market for another car I go out with the mentality of "Can I clean this car up to my standards..." NOT "IS this car clean enough for my standards...?" because forget that, none of them are nowadays lol.

TeslaChicken 09-29-2014 01:29 PM

I appreciate all the advice everyone. It seems that patience and travel are the key factors when buying an S. There are some nice ones about 400 miles away from me :(, guess I need to plan some roadtrips over the weekend!

jkelley 09-29-2014 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken (Post 23349797)
I appreciate all the advice everyone. It seems that patience and travel are the key factors when buying an S. There are some nice ones about 400 miles away from me :(, guess I need to plan some roadtrips over the weekend!

Try to make a fun day out of it somehow. And don't let the buyer know that you're travelling far, they tend not to budge much on their price that way lol.