S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car Pulling to Right under Acceleration

Old 03-16-2001, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having recently completed 600 miles I have begun to drive my car a bit harder and since then it is definately pulling to the right under moderate to hard acceleration, its particuarly alarming when changing gear as the back end gets jerky, it jerks right to left when the clutch is dipped and then back left to right when accelerating again. Has anyone else experienced this?

The car has not been kerbed and the strange thing is it seems perfectly straight when not accelerating or during constant driving, this leads me to believe its not a tyre problem.

This is RHD car in the UK.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:19 AM

Well last weekend I noticed the exact same thing... straight line with no acceleration is fine, but get on the gas even a little bit and you can really start to notice that you can change lanes to the right, .... right?

You've got a nail in your right rear tire. Or something. The tire pressure in that tire when I finally checked it was down to 20 or something LOW. But the weird thing is, you couldn't even tell the tire was low by visually inspecting it. So get those pressures checked quick if you haven't already.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2001, 12:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason?

A common accelerating / decelerating problem was associated with low pressure in one of the tyres, I would check this out, It creates EXACTLY this effect!

Regards
Old 03-16-2001, 04:59 AM

Yes, check the air pressure in both rear tires. If there is a big difference between the two, then that is probably what is causing the pull to the right.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:38 AM
Bieg

You should check the pressure in ALL the tires on a very regular basis, at least everytime you wash your car.

Get a good calibrated racing type air pressure guage from a race supply shop.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:43 AM

check it weekly. With this car it's very important.

My freind has an S2000 too and he got a screw in his tire and noticed right away by the way the car turned.
Old 03-16-2001, 06:36 AM

Exact same thing happened to me the first week I passed 600 miles. I wondered how did Honda get it to torque steer with rear wheel drive, and why? I had "screwed" the right rear tire which was flat the next morning. Tire pressure sensitive!

2x6spds
Old 03-16-2001, 06:40 AM

Yep, was Typre pressure. I had 32psi in the rear left and 15psi in the rear right. It seems a lot better now but I'll have to keep my eye on that tyre as all the other 3 were correct pressure. Aftter inflating it and driving 25 miles the pressure was still the same so may be a very slow puncture or the dealer missed that tyre when PDI'ing the car.

Thanks for the info, I thought I'd got a screwed diff at first.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see another satisfied customer! This is what I really like about this board.
Old 03-16-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all those who had a flat tire, what kind of tire did you replace it with? Assuming, you still have the stock S02's on the other 3 corners

Henry

Quick Reply: Car Pulling to Right under Acceleration