S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clear lenses for do-it-yourself clear corner headlamp conversions

Old 07-31-2002, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diffusers will go on sale on our web site Friday morning (www.ricks2k.com). The price will be $89 per pair, plus $10 shipping and handling. For now, we are anticipating being able to produce no more than 10 sets per week, so orders will be filled on a first-come first-served basis. We may be able to increase weekly production volume, but for now we have to plan for 10 sets a week. Production should begn next week.

We are also offering a conversion option for people who don't want to do the conversion themselves. This option will be $325, including the clear diffusers, plus shipping and handling. This option will be explained in detail on our web site, but basically, it requires that you remove your headlamp assemblies and ship them to Maryland for the conversion work. The turnaround will take 2-3 days, so if you chose this option, you will be without your headlights for at least a week, depending on the shipping method you chose. We are not offering a core exchange for this option, largely because the condition of each person's headlamp assemblies will vary widely (if yours are relatively new, for example, you wouldn't want a older set in exchange for another owner's set that are pitted or scratched).

Installation instructions will also be posted tomorrow on the installation page of our web site:

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/install.html

Update: Here's a photo of the first clear casting next to a stock amber diffuser:

For as long as owners have been doing the clear-corner conversion, people have been looking for a reasonably-priced set of clear lenses to replace the amber plastic lenses that cover the exposed reflectors and bulbs.

Until now, proposals to make such a lens have been stymied by outrageous production costs. Many people have been deterred from doing the conversion themselves because they don't like the look of the exposed reflector and bulb, even though the do-it-yourself conversion saves a cost of well over $800 for the JDM or EDM clear corner headlamp assemblies (which have a clear lens with a different pattern).

A fellow owner has now found a source that can produce a clear plastic lens set that perfectly matches the amber lens pattern. If all goes according to plans, we can produce a clear lens set for about $85. With these lenses, you can do a conversion that will look very professional and better than stock.

We're lining up the first production run, but we need a volunteer to provide an amber lens set (both right and left lenses) out of the stock US headlamps. The manufacturer will use this set to make the mold for the production run.

The first person who supplies us with an amber lens set will recieve a free clear lens set from the first production run. Post here and email me at hesel@artsci.com if you have an amber lens set you're willing to swap.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another great product on the way!!!
Sign me up for the first batch !!!

Thanks Rick ! ! !
Old 07-31-2002, 01:00 PM

Hi Rick i'm also interested in those clear lenses... i just ordered some badge sets from ya hope they are coming soon i cant wait!!! I'd volunteer my lenses but need to see how long i wouldnt have them and how i'd remove them.. i have no expirience with doing nay work on the car...

Patrick
Old 07-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm assuming that some people who have already done the conversion have the amber lenses lying around. I certainly wouldn't want you to take your headlamps apart just to supply us with amber lenses.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:13 PM

I have a set I'll swap. I just sent you an e-mail.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:15 PM

Woohoo!
Old 07-31-2002, 01:17 PM

Have you considered using the jdm/euro-spec lens as a model? Just wondering...
Old 07-31-2002, 01:20 PM

Looking forward hearing when the first batch is ready!
Old 07-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Most people want the US lens pattern -- they think its more aesthetically pleasing, and we agree.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:21 PM

Woo-Hoo! Just what I have been waiting for. Sign me up for the first batch also!

Quick Reply: Clear lenses for do-it-yourself clear corner headlamp conversions