S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Clutch Comparison

Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Comparison

With the upgrades I am doing to my AP1, im expecting 230+ possibly even more at the rear wheels. I have originally decided on using the ACT heavy duty pressure plate with OEM disk and Comptech Flywheel, something which xviper had suggested to me which is a tested system which works. For some reason i am starting to double think my decision as the car is tracked often and I didn't originally plan for this much power. Has anyone ever used the Exedy Stage 3 Hyper Single Plate Clutch? how does it compare? how does it hold up?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Competition Stage 2 clutch with 11 lb. flywheel.

Personally, nothing made by ACT will ever touch my car.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM

I have the J's racing clutch which is similar to the Exedy stage 3. It hold up pretty well and it is not floating disk so it will not make that kind of "ringing" sound.

My car is making 220whp and it is doing the job for me. The only thing that I don't like si the clutsh is quite grabby so it makes it little hard to aim the clutch point.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:44 AM

What about modulation on the J's clutch? I might just stick with the setup I have and if I have slipping issues I will change it over to something higher. Whats wrong with ACT pressure plates?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:27 PM

I am a little confuse here, what do you by modulation of the clutch ?

ACT pressure plates are well known to be harsh, they are so strong that when you change gears and pop the clutch, you will actually build more load to the gears = kill the gears faster.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by AJ PwR,Oct 21 2006, 07:27 PM
I am a little confuse here, what do you by modulation of the clutch ?

ACT pressure plates are well known to be harsh, they are so strong that when you change gears and pop the clutch, you will actually build more load to the gears = kill the gears faster.
The ACT pressure plate, as you describe it, is hard to "modulate." It's just a matter of how smoothly the clutch can be made to release and take up drive pressures without excess slippage and not exibit the harshness you describe.

That's how I'd define it anyway!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Oct 22 2006, 12:49 AM
It's just a matter of how smoothly the clutch can be made to release and take up drive pressures without excess slippage and not exibit the harshness you describe.
How would you do this?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ PwR,Oct 20 2006, 05:17 PM
I have the J's racing clutch which is similar to the Exedy stage 3. It hold up pretty well and it is not floating disk so it will not make that kind of "ringing" sound.

My car is making 220whp and it is doing the job for me. The only thing that I don't like si the clutsh is quite grabby so it makes it little hard to aim the clutch point.
I have the Exedy Hyper single 3, it comes complete with a light flywheel. It took a little getting use to, but I like it
The thing grabs hard as AJR pointed out it's peddle feel is a little more stiff than stock as well.

Cons:
It's a bit tricky to feather reverse and she will chatter a bit when you do so.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM

How does it differ from stock? does it grab quicker than stock? The grab hard part I am trying to figure out what it feels like/means. All the car's Ive ever owned including my track car are on stock clutches or slightly better than stock.

How is it for daily driving, the modulation, engagement point (same as stock, consistant?) how loud is the chatter?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original setup that xViper suggested is a well proven setup. Many people on this forum track with that setup and I am pretty sure that includes a number of FI peeps. If you are worried about power holding head over to the Forced induction board, and also stop by the track/racing board and see what they suggest over there.

Quick Reply: Clutch Comparison