S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Coilovers... Springs... jeez, help please

Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers... Springs... jeez, help please

Aight guys i've done some reading and researching these past few days and i have some questions...

I'm looking to lower my car, but i dont want to hurt the handling. I've read that some coilovers improve handling and some ruin it.. I would like to keep the suspension the same but with a drop 1-1.5in max all around.. I also want to keep the ride nice and stiff, i hate that bouncy shit...

I dont want to spend more than 1000 if tis possible..

Now i've been reading some good reviews on the buddy club n+ but some say they hurt the handling.... the Bilstein PSS are probabaly the best bang for your buck, but didnt read any specific details on them... As far as springs go, i've heard the spoon progressive springs are suppose to be really good and they where made to work with oem shocks...

Does anyone else have there input on what will keep my car handling as good as it does along with having it lowered. It doesnt matter to me whether its coilovers or springs, whichever will do the best job at not ####ing up the handling? Thats bascailly whats holding me back on pullin the trigger for an order, i wanan do it right the first time, i want a drop but i dont want to sacrifice the stiff ride and the amazing handling..

thanks in advance
Old 05-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

koni yellow shocks + eibach springs
Old 05-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Do some searching on the Megan coilovers. Under $1000 isnt a problem and I havent heard many bad things about them. Most coilover systems, if you don't slam it and get a good alignment done, will work just fine and not have an adverse effect on handling.

If you want to do suspension right the first time, don't bother with shocks and springs. . .just go full coilover.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:51 PM
jah

if you plan to track the car do coilovers, in this you get what you pay for. whatever you get have the plan set to get them rebuilt as needed.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how it will kill your handling... Unless you mix and match parts, use wrong spring rates, don't align your car properly, or don't drive your car where it will take advantage of coilovers then I don't see how it will kill it.

ask your self what I will be doing with the car... I'm I going to just cruise around the city, go to work and school, and give it a little needed drop then some nice shocks and springs will give you just that...

If your going to use the car for more agressive driving every once and while on some twists or a track then coilovers are just right with you...

Sadly you'll go in some more questions on how much twisties or track racing will I do... If only a little (1-2 a year) then 800-1000 range is best for you... More hardcore driving you want KW and on...

You can always save 300bucks or so for some shocks and springs for that nice drop and some gears to complete the fun package
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by silentdancer,May 13 2007, 01:00 PM
koni yellow shocks + eibach springs

I got swift springs with konis, and I think it is a good way to go if you don't get coilovers. IMO this set up (or something simular) offers better performance and ride quality than a lot of the coilovers on the market.

Some people are vary biased, and think coilovers are the only way to go. I think get what is going to meet your driving needs. If you plan on using the car on a track, and need all the adjustment, get coilovers.

I have a acquaintance with Tein Super R dampers and I can spank him on turns because he can't drive.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 AM

ok well once in a while i like to take it around the twisties and have a little fun, but i prolly wont track the car.

most of you say coilovers are teh way to go, but no one reccomended me any brands to get.. im looking for coilovers, like i stated in my first post that wont decrease the perforamnce and suspension of teh s2000, but alss keep the price of 1000 max
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say your best bang for the buck is a set of Bilstein PSS9. I don't have a set yet, but from all the research I've done, it seems like they are a great bargain. While they aren't as aggressive as some full race spec coilovers, they seem stiff enough for the occassional trackie who still uses his car as a DD. Furthermore, Bilstein is a very reputable company that builds a great product. Go to shox.com - they have great pricing on PSS9s...as low as $1150 new (I think they're going for around $1350 now)

I was considering a set of Konis and springs, but my problem with that setup is that it isn't THAT cheap...if you're buying everything new, you'll be spending at least $800. I'd much rather save a few more months and go for a set of coilovers for a few hundred dollars more. Just my two cents though.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 AM

i agree, is there a big difference between the pss and the pss9?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CobraTi,May 13 2007, 01:52 PM
Do some searching on the Megan coilovers. Under $1000 isnt a problem and I havent heard many bad things about them. Most coilover systems, if you don't slam it and get a good alignment done, will work just fine and not have an adverse effect on handling.

If you want to do suspension right the first time, don't bother with shocks and springs. . .just go full coilover.
Do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: Coilovers... Springs... jeez, help please