S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cruise control in manual? Why???

Old 01-06-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control in manual? Why???

I'm guessing that cruise control is only used in 6th gear when you're cruising along on a long road trip.

Do you know of any other reasons to use cruise control?
Old 01-06-2003, 09:45 AM

To give your right foot a break. I don't want a whiny passenger telling me to stay at a constant speed instead of going 105 then 60.

I use it all the time on interstate trips.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:51 AM

Why would cruise control in a manual be any different from an automatic? You use it on the highway to save gas and save your right leg on long trips.

-Nick
Old 01-06-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Uhhh...why not?

Do you not want it?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:20 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny you should ask. It does work in reverse, so if your foot gets tired getting out of the driveway, use the cruise. (disclaimer - you must be going 25mph or faster).

Scot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LostWaffle
[B]I'm guessing that cruise control is only used in 6th gear when you're cruising along on a long road trip.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LostWaffle
[B]I'm guessing that cruise control is only used in 6th gear when you're cruising along on a long road trip.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 AM

I use it to avoid tickets in areas where the speed limit is under 50mph. My girl doesn't like to go that slow so I have to rein her in
Old 01-06-2003, 11:04 AM

I came up with an unorthodox use a couple summers ago. I was upstate exploring a vacant Historical Park. Came to a 'T' with a dirt road. The area was pretty and I wanted to continue, but I don't drive the S on dirt roads.

Solution? Go slowly to avoid kicking up dry dirt. How to maintain as slow a speed as possible? Cruise control at the lowest possible speed. (I believe they calibrate it in kp/h so it's actually under 25.)

Learned something, cruising in too low of a gear is bad, the engine accelerates faster than the cruise can comprehend, then suddenly lets off, to suddenly compensate. You lurch along!

Therefore only cruise in higher gears. I'd imagine reverse would exhibit this phenomena but don't personally have a long driveway!

Another issue w/cruise in manual cars, most of them don't know when you've taken it out of gear--the sensor is on the clutch pedal. So if you're rev-matched and slip it out of gear without using the clutch pedal, the cruise will rev you up and could redline if you don't catch it!

(Since most people probably clutch to neutral and the S's revlimiter, I doubt this is a big issue, but info is always good.)

Um, just for reference, this is the third manual tranny car I've owned w/cruise.

Randy
Old 01-06-2003, 11:18 AM

Haved owned the following cars. ALL had manual trans. ALL had cruise:

79 Celica
80 Supra
86 Prelude
88 Prelude
90 Miata (still own it)
93 RX-7
93 MR2
95 M3
01 S2000

Interesting experience in the Celica. Cruising on 2 lane at about 70 mph with cruise control. Heading due north on level road. I had installed an after market trip computer that read instataneous mpg. It was showing 20 mpg, far lower than normal. I slowed down and turned around to head south and hit "resume" button so I was going same speed as before. Read 30 mpg. HELL of a head wind!!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by andrewewing
Haved owned the following cars. ALL had manual trans. ALL had cruise:

93 RX-7
93 MR2

...{snipped for brevity}

HELL of a head wind!!
Wow, '93 was an exciting year. A lot of fun cars, would leasing be the explanation for the quick turn-over? Or are you really accident-prone? Hehe..

I'm not sure that's a helluva' head wind or really bad drag coefficient!!

Heh,

Randy

Quick Reply: Cruise control in manual? Why???