S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Definitive proof, its not an Aisin AZ6!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitive proof, its not an Aisin AZ6!

Okay so for some silly reason there is a ton of misinformation out there about the S2000 transmission. It's commonly quoted that the S has an Aisin AZ6 transmission that can also be found in the 6 speed Miata's, RX-8's, and IS200 6 speeds. I think a great deal of this misinformation is derived from the wikipedia article for the AZ6 that specifically quotes it as being used in the S2000 for some unknown reason (stop trusting wikipedia for everything people). After reading about a dozen conflicting posts all around the web I was determined to figure out what it really was.

For reference here is an Aisin AZ6:

And here is an S2000 transmission:

Pretty different looking right? Well that's cause they are totally different transmissions.

Here's an archive of the Aisin website which lists the applications of the AZ6: http://web.archive.o...roducts/fr.html Notice that it contains no mention of anything Honda...

As further proof a fairly simple Google search actually turned up this Honda press release from 2000: http://www.honda.com...=20010221001309 No idea why I couldn't find it earlier but it's pretty much as conclusive as you can get, particularly the first paragraph:
"Honda engineers designed an entirely new close-ratio, 6-speed manual transmission for the S2000. A limited-slip differential was chosen to ensure continuous application of power to the rear wheels, especially when cornering. The transmission and entire drivetrain are designed to be highly rigid and as compact and lightweight as possible, making the vehicle more responsive to driver input and increasing the driver's enjoyment and feel for the car. "

So there's your lesson for the day... Honda S2000, officially NOT with an Aisin AZ6 transmission.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Good information, but I can't say I've ever heard this before. Guess it clears that up though for those who had.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I also want to point out - we're looking at the transmission case - not the actual transmission...
Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I also want to point out - we're looking at the transmission case - not the actual transmission...
Since it looks fully assembled, I think it is safe to actually call it a transmission and not just a case.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1383744854' post='22864041
Since it looks fully assembled, I think it is safe to actually call it a transmission and not just a case.
The point is, we don't know what is inside. Ever hear the saying, don't judge a book by its cover?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1383747177' post='22864097
[quote name='Saki GT' timestamp='1383744854' post='22864041']
The point is, we don't know what is inside. Ever hear the saying, don't judge a book by its cover?
[/quote]
Nope, never ever heard of that saying.

The point is regardless of what is inside, it isn't just a casing.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 AM

They sure do look very similar, so easy to see why people would have been mistaken. Perhaps Honda engineers used the AZ6 as a template?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I guess I've never been hung up on this. Good information. Since they don't feel the same when driven I think you can assume they are not the same inside Saki.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, the debate continues. Indeed it could just be a heavily tweaked AZ6. I started diggin more oday and found this nice quote (from here) that totally throws off my earlier remarks.
"Bear in mind, however, that the Aisin AZ6 is but the basic “framework” or “structure” for the transmission. Each carmaker is able to tweak and tune such parameters as individual gear ratios, transmission cases, internal architecture, drive shaft coupling, clutch actuation and even shift “feel”. The fiercely independent, go-it-alone Honda, in particular, is understood to have widely modified its take on AZ6 for its S2000 sports car. The carmaker, which develops its own widely-praised transaxles, saw the need to swallow its pride and turn to archrival Toyota’s keiretsu for its first front engine/rear-wheel-drive transmission in decades in order to meet S2000′s cost targets."
Grrrrrreat

I don't know why this bugs me so much but I really want to know if its an AZ6 or a new design that Honda did from the ground up...

I found an internal diagram of the S2000 transmission:

But I haven't been able to find anything on the AZ6 besides this kinda lame cutaway:

Does anyone have actual knowledge on this subject? It just always seems to be quoted that its an AZ6 without any source of that information. Weeeell let the discussion continue I suppose...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

this is the first time I've ever heard of this question.....

no offense intended, but why do we care whether or not it's an AZ6?

Quick Reply: Definitive proof, its not an Aisin AZ6!