S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Did the values of our S2ks just go up...?

Old 12-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the values of our S2ks just go up...?

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/01/honda-s2000-definitely-never-coming-back-honda-exec-says.html
Old 12-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably. The cars are already on an upward trajectory, especially low-mileage unmolested examples.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts

The article's nearly a year old and there's still speculation going on. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My sense of what our cars are worth, has little to do with that article. I found a great low-mileage one-owner AP1, and for me, it's going to be a forever car. I suspect it's already worth more than I paid for it. Or not. Couldn't care less. I'm merely observing what nice examples are selling for.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just recently bought an AP1. I fulfilled my lifelong desire to get back to a pure driving car. I did not seek out the S2000, but found it as the answer to my quest for a pure car. I think every day that goes by is going to eventually drive up the value of S2000's and every car like it.

Before I bought the S2000 I test drove a 2018 Honda Accord 2.0L Turbo Sport. Wonderful, beautiful, fast, smooth, quiet....and kind of boring. I had never felt more disconnected from a car in my life. It had something like 9 or 10 active safety features that almost do the driving for you. It will change lanes and even stop for you if necessary. It had almost no torque-steer because the car senses it and applies steering without you even knowing it to keep the steering wheel straight and make you feel like there is no torque steer. It was like steering in a video game. The world is going in this direction and that is fine I suppose for your daily driver and for my wife, but there will always be people who yearn for a pure car and each year that goes by the number of cars that fit that description will become more and more rare.

I'm no expert on the Acura NSX, but I'm pretty sure the new NSX with it's technology and electric assist motors and automatic transmission had something to do with the rise in prices of the used original NSX's. So even if they do ever bring back the S2000 I'm sure it will be riddled with technology that will make people run even faster for the used original versions.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JRG2000
I did not seek out the S2000, but found it as the answer to my quest for a pure car. I think every day that goes by is going to eventually drive up the value of S2000's and every car like it.
Looking at the direction automobiles in general are headed I would tend to agree. As long as there are still people around that know how to operate and enjoy cars with manual transmissions then the demand for such cars will likely outnumber the number of vehicles available. Then again, I suppose it's possible that the number of people that can drive a stick are decreasing at a rate more rapidly than the cars themselves. In which case all bets are off, lol.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

The best cars, those with lower miles, in perfect shape (garage queens) that have never been modified to pieces (stock) will hold value and perhaps increase in the years to come. Years to come meaning decades for appreciable increases.

That being said, the S2000 will not appreciate as other higher end sports cars go. The S came into the world as a value conscious car for the high performance is does have, and will always live in that niche.

You won't get rich as an old guy holding on to your stock garage queen S2000. You may just croak and your car will go to a modern day Wayne Carini who makes the killing in your stead.

I recommend steady contributions to Roth IRAs, 401Ks, living within your means, and other financial "vehicles" to become financially independent.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You may just croak and your car will go to a modern day Wayne Carini who makes the killing in your stead.

Ha!!! Yes, when Wayne Carini shows up to your house you know you are in trouble, 'cause you are probably dead!

Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just super low mile S2000's and stock CR's

Quick Reply: Did the values of our S2ks just go up...?