S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Do you get gas coming out the overflow?

Old 04-22-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get gas coming out the overflow?

I've had my 2006 s2000 for about a week. When I took delivery they told me they put too much gas in it and some gas came out the overflow tube. Then the thing stunk like gas for three days. Tonight I went to fill it up and the pump never shut off. It just dumped a bunch of gas on the ground through the overflow tube. Now I have that lovely gas smell again not to mention I wasted about a buck in gas. I doubt this is normal so has anyone else seen this?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never seen it. My car shuts the pump off.
Hmmmm something might be missing on your car??? I cant compare an apple to an orange, so check another MY06. Sorry!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:45 PM

crazy...
Old 04-23-2006, 12:33 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

On my 04 when the nozzle clicks off thats it you aint gettin anymore in it. Mine has never overflowed.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a different gas station-I'm betting it's the pump. I had the same thing happen to me once (2002 S2000). Turned out to be the pump..
Old 04-23-2006, 06:50 AM

When I took delivery of my '06, I got home and noticed a little bit of gas on the fender below the fill door. Opening the fill door, I noticed it was still wet with water. I'd guess that whoever at the dealer gassed her up overfilled it and then cleaned up the mess, leaving just enough gas to spread down the fender while I was driving home.

So there's an example of an '06 overfilling.

That said, I've personally not had this happen to me with my '06, though I should note that I always use the slowest fill speed on the gas nozzle's latch -- maybe that has something to do with it. I could easily imagine the flunky at the dealer running the nozzle wide open, and causing it to kick back and spill some gas at the end...

And, as a counterexample, I did have a gas "waterfall" coming off the side of my Audi due to a faulty nozzle, so such things do happen.

Hope this helps,

Ed
Old 04-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure the S is build the same way as most of the newer honda's

You might not want to overfill the tank(i know you didn't do it the first time), the charcoal canister can get toasted if you always soak it with gasoline(which often happens if you overfill it). Try shake the bastard, if it felt like it's heavy and have water inside, you will need to replace the thing.(yeah, emission item=expensive)

I laugh everything at the pump when i see people try to jump on they car to jam the last oz into the tank.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bankstreet,Apr 23 2006, 12:36 AM
I've had my 2006 s2000 for about a week. When I took delivery they told me they put too much gas in it and some gas came out the overflow tube. Then the thing stunk like gas for three days. Tonight I went to fill it up and the pump never shut off. It just dumped a bunch of gas on the ground through the overflow tube. Now I have that lovely gas smell again not to mention I wasted about a buck in gas. I doubt this is normal so has anyone else seen this?
Overflow 2 out of 2 is very wrong with your car emmission control gas tank. You have to take your car back to the dealer to have them fix. If they refuse to fix the problem with overflow fuel, tell them you would contact EPA.
Overflow fuel hurts enviroment and more importance: your pocket.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That happened to to me a few weeks ago! I had gas running out like crazy. Funny thing though; it just so happens that I was checking out a brand new Z06 that had pulled up nearby, the first one I had seen on the street, so I was preoccupied at the time.
No harm, no flames.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM

It happened to me not to long ago as well... but in my case you could place a portion of the blame on myself. I was filling the tank and it clicked off. then i figured i'd jus get it on an even dollar amount and that's when it started overflowing. I didn't even get the courtesy of a second click

Quick Reply: Do you get gas coming out the overflow?