S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Does a supercharged engine have a shorter life span?

Old 05-08-2001, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a supercharged engine have a shorter life span?

I would think with the extra stress put on the engine from a supercharger that the engine would live a little less longer. Is this the case? I know the S2K's engine is made to be punished, but one would think the SC would push it beyond its normal limits often enough to shorten the life.
Old 05-08-2001, 07:58 AM

I've been told yes
Old 05-08-2001, 08:04 AM

If the S2000 engine is made to last forever...
Then, I would approximate that the supercharger would take 10% of forever.

Just kidding...the Supercharger is definately more harsh on your engine, tranny, and other components...but with regular oil changes and proper maintanence, the car should still run fine with only 6lb. of boost.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:05 AM
Bieg

My Brother who is a Master Marine Mechanic has a little saying about engines.

He says "Any engine has a finite amount of lifetime horsepower, take the HP out of it in small chunks and the lifetime is longer, take it out in larger chunks and the lifetime is shorter."

A supercharger takes big chunks out of the lifetime HP pie.

I believe this to be true
Old 05-08-2001, 08:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bieg
[B]My Brother who is a Master Marine Mechanic has a little saying about engines.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have never had the intention of modding out my car, but reading this forum has made me interested in at least some of the simple mods like the air filter and such. But I find it hard to justify a SC, but that's just me. I just can't imagine this car being faster than I already enjoy it being. I got on a highway entrance ramp the other day and got behind a slower car. I was riding 2nd gear really high, in anticipation of flooring it... then did so. I rammed it through 3rd and 4th and had to slow down since I looked down and saw 105--yikes! I am enjoying the hell out of this thing absolutely stock! I still get a smile on my face thinking about that running launch. I did something similar to a late-eighties Corvette a couple of weeks ago. He was so suprised at how bad I left him that he gave me the thumbs up as he took his exit.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:36 AM

I've always been a believer that you should leave the aspiration of a car the way it came from the manufacturer. If it's a turbo, by all means play with the boost. The motor's been built to take the day abuse of forced induction. In Honda's case, they built their engines to be able to take high rpms, but once you add forced induction to the mix, then you're probably putting a lot more stress on it than it was designed for.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:43 AM

Mine isn't SC yet, but, from what i heard from owners of comptech SC-equipped NSX, most are running with little or no problems. I think that would change if the owner is chasing 911 turbos on the track every weekend.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:50 PM

It will shorten the lifespan relative to the fact that you will be at your destination sooner since you are going faster, but when it does blow up, you'll be able to coast farther down the road. It's like drag racing: the guy that wins actually got to spend less time having fun racing!
Old 05-08-2001, 01:09 PM

Thought about putting JRSC on my 99 Prelude. I remember talking to somebody from JRSC and his answer was "YES!"

Quick Reply: Does a supercharged engine have a shorter life span?