S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Downshifting...preferences? or what?

Old 10-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Downshifting...preferences? or what?

My friend and I were having a discussion about downshifting gears and came up on something that kind of got us into a heated debate.

I have two friends...

one...single-clutches when downshifting (if that's not clear. i mean that he presses down the clutch and holds it as he moves the gear into neutral...rev matches...and then moves the shifter into the lower gear and releases clutch)

the other...double-clutches when downshifting (presses down the clutch...moves shifter into neutral and releases clutch. Rev-matches with the gas and then presses clutch again...moves the shifter into the lowered gear and releases clutch)

now the second seems to be a lot longer of a process (in reality it's not). I originally learned downshifting using the first method with my friends car. I later changed my ways to the second because a friend told me it's easier on the tranny and everything else just to double clutch.

But isn't that why they invented synchros? Is this simply just preference? Or is one actually easier on the car and the tranny?

PLEASE FEEDBACK!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont think they make a difference...i only double clutch if i downshift to first.

rev-matching helps the synchros i know that. ive had my car for about 2 yrs or so and i ALWAYS downshift without double clutch..and my tranny is fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep... synchros were created so that you dont have to double clutch.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.c...&ArticleID=6137
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM

either or, rev matching is good, but if you dont do it precisely, just drive normal.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:46 PM

tripled coned synchros so you will be ok
Old 10-18-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ks311stylee,Oct 18 2006, 04:27 PM
haha! stupid condors...

[QUOTE]Recently [in 1992], a pair of California Condors were released into the wilds of the San Gorgonio wilderness area of Southern California. This was a significant event, because there had been Condors flying around those mountains from the year 60,000,000 B.C. to 1986 A.D. But in 1986, the naturalists convinced the California Fish and Game Dept. that to prevent the Condors from going extinct, they had to capture all of them and put them into protective custody until the breeding stock had reached a viable level.

For six years, these naturalists tried various approaches to bring the number of Condors to a healthy status, and they did finally succeed. One of the important tricks they used was whenever Mama Condor would lay two eggs, one of these naturalists would sneak in through a trapdoor, remove an egg, and put it in an incubator. The Mama would look down and decide to lay another egg, since the number of eggs didn't look like a very large number. (Apparently Condors aren't as smart as crows, which can count up to 5 or 6 fairly consistently.) Anyhow, by this procedure, the Condor families were tricked into raising two clutches of eggs
Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM

no don't need to double clutch in any modern car......double clutch is old school
Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm all about old school.

Double-clutching provides some (probably negligible) wear protection for the synchros. I double-clutch on every shift.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:22 PM

i read that it only matters for first and second gear?? the rest of the gears are attached to teh rear axel or something and spin with that so double clutching is not needed? or was that something else.

Quick Reply: Downshifting...preferences? or what?