S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Electronic whining noise during cruising and accel

Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electronic whining noise during cruising and accel

I had the service advisor ride in with me but he thought it was normal and said S2000s really make alot of noise - he said the S2000 differential makes alot of noise. Though because of my bad sense of where sounds come from, I personally couldn't really tell it was coming from the front or rear.

You can only hear this noise with the top up and windows up since the outside noise would overpower it and the sound only comes on when I'm on the gas. I'm totally stock btw. Basically, during acceleration and cruising, you can hear an electronic-like whistling/whining noise coming from somewhere. Definitely can't hear it when I'm driving hard since the engine sound overpowers everything else. When I'm just gradually accelerating, it is somewhat noticeable but it is most noticeable when I'm just cruising along the highway at around 60-65 mph in 6th gear - say I'm at 60 mph and I gradually accelerate to like 65 mph, you can hear it. I mean it sounds "cool" but I just want to make sure it is normal. Anyone else get this electronic-like whistling/whining noise? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely it is the normal engine noise that you are hearing, it does have an electric noise sometimes and it does sound kind of cool.

If it sounds odd to you, kind of like one of those noises the just doesn't sound right, then you may want to look into it further.

Another possibility, is your heat or AC on when you here this noise?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've tried to reproduce the sound w/ and w/o A/C and heat and the noise comes on regardless. So I don't think they are factors.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then I would say it's the normal noise of the F20C.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree. i get the same thing. i only notice it when i have my music turned down..... which is not very often
Old 09-26-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Si i have the same noise, Xviper told me it was normal, has something to do with the air intake.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this sound and I like it. Quite cool.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Administrator

There are many things that contribute to the general mechanical noisiness of this car. If you hear the noise at startup and it sounds like a turbo spooling, that's the air pump that gets the emissions system up to temperature quickly. There is also some whirring/whining type nioses cause by the timing chain and gears (as opposed to the more common rubber timing belt). Too, the transmission and rear axle all contribute their share of music to the whole mix. All these things together give the F20C powered S2000 it's unique and exciting sound
Old 09-27-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by shift_9k
Si i have the same noise, Xviper told me it was normal, has something to do with the air intake.
Don't know if I mentioned this to you earlier but to confirm the noise is related to intake, take the lid off the airbox and go for a short drive to duplicate the noise. If it is intake, then the noise will be louder and more amplified but it will still be the same sort of noise.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:10 PM

Are you sure it is an electronic sound? If it is and you have had any aftermarket stereo equipment installed then my guess is that it is abad ground on your amp/head unit.

Quick Reply: Electronic whining noise during cruising and accel