S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

End of the S2000 in 2003?? Is it true??

Old 03-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the current MODEL of the S2000 ceases in 2003, to be replaced in 2004 with i-VTEC S2000 (evo II, if you will)... and maybe, we can all pray for MC blue
Old 03-27-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by cheseenjuy
Hey Thoe99, is there a requirement to become a Honda salesperson?? Like do u need a college degree or some kind of Honda Certified course thing? I am interested in becoming one.
I meant I was a salesman in general, no Honda salesguy. I work at a Circuit City, selling computers/electronics. We work on commission, so we're motivated to sell, sell, and sell! even if we have to twist the truth a tad.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:12 AM

The car is not going to be discontinued in 2003. In fact, here's what Motor Trend says about the 2003 model:

First Impressions: Honda S2200

By C. Van Tune

Yes, you read it right. It's not a typo, and your eyes are not deceiving you. That's Honda S2200 and not Honda S2000. The S2200 is the first successor to the wildly popular S2000 that has been gracing us with its race car like performance since it first arrived on our shores in 2000. Although due out in the Japanese domestic market in late 2002 as a 2003 model, the new S2200 will not find its way into the garages of would-be U.S. buyers until early 2003.

While on a routine fact finding mission in Japan, Motor Trend staffers were lucky enough (timing is everything in this business) to be invited to a closed press briefing session held by top Honda officials to pre-release limited information on the new S2200 to the Japanese press community. Release of the same information to the rest of the world was scheduled for three days later, but Motor Trend once again provides its readers with the latest news first.

Honda officials would not disclose full details of the new car, nor would they release any official photographs, but they did tell us that the new S2200 will have an all-new 2.2-liter, 4-cylinder engine loosely based on that found in the last generation Prelude. Like the current S2000 engine, the new 2.2-liter motor will employ Honda's trademark VTEC technology to extract every bit of performance possible from the high-strung Formula One like powerplant. Horsepower gains over the current S2000 are modest with only an additional 10hp finding its way to the flywheel for a total of 250hp. Thanks to the extra displacement, however, torque improves dramatically to an astounding 191 lb-ft for a 25 percent increase over the current S2000. The 8900rpm redline of the current 2.0-liter motor has been increased to a seemingly impossible 9100rpms. Expect the extra torque of the new powerplant to significantly improve the around town fun factor and driveability.

To offset the extra weight of the 2.2-liter engine and to maintain the near perfect front/rear weight ratio, Honda has employed practices previously only used on the Acura NSX. The front windshield has been thinned by 1.5mm, some of the front suspension hardware has been replaced by titanium components, and the aluminium cylinder heads have been replaced by carbon fiber ones (a first for any engine manufacturer). Other mechanical changes will include a revised rear suspension to ensure that the S2200's tail remains firmly planted on terra firma when traveling at "excessive" speeds over less than perfect road surfaces.

Honda officials also stated that the new S2200 will have a more muscular look compared to the current S2000. Criticized by many as being too soft and bland, the S2000's body was reshaped to more closely resemble the Honda SSM show car, pictured below, that we hoped the original S2000 would follow.

So the big question that everyone had--why change the S2000 already after only three very successful years when the public still can't get enough of it? The answer has to do with the Takanezawa production plant that the S2000 shares with its older sibling, the Acura NSX. Much of the technology in the new S2200 will be shared with the upcoming 2004 Acura NSX, to be released in mid-2003, so Honda wanted to streamline the machining of components. Since many of the components on both cars will utilize the same materials, tolerances during the machining process can be maintained much more accurately by using dedicated machines that will only be configured for titanium, aluminum, or steel materials. Machines will no longer be reconfigured and recalibrated each time a different material needs to be used for a particular component. In addition, Honda officials said they wanted to use the new S2200 as a proof-of-concept vehicle to demonstrate that the new technology going into the suspension and engine are indeed viable and "worthy" to be used in the upcoming ultra high-performance Acura NSX, especially considering that the new NSX will carry a price tag close to $125,000.

MT Online
Old 03-28-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!
Old 03-28-2002, 10:30 AM

How much more is the S2200 going to cost?
My guess: 5K
Old 03-28-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Silver Bullet,

That was some of the best Creative writing I have seen in a while. Decent job on the picture but the right and left rear don't match too well. But a nice looking car none the less.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
The car is not going to be discontinued in 2003. In fact, here's what Motor Trend says about the 2003 model:

First Impressions: Honda S2200

By C. Van Tune

Yes, you read it right. It's not a typo, and your eyes are not deceiving you. That's Honda S2200 and not Honda S2000.
Ah, so Silver Bullet, I think you are yanking our chains. I took a careful look at the picture of that supposed Japanese prototype. Correct me if I am wrong, but in these United States we have the side view mirrors on the doors, while in Japan, they have them way up on the front fenders. Stop me also if I am wrong, but the Japanese vehicles have the steering wheel on right side. Ah so, I think you are fooling us.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:54 AM

Apologies, Silver Bullet, there is a steering wheel on the right. Still suspicious about the side view mirrors.
Old 03-28-2002, 10:59 AM

Okay, I can't take it anymore. I'm bad. It's all completely made-up.

My brother, who actully wrote it and just got a '02 Sebring Silver, tried to trick me with it. He's been trying to fool me for a while with various rumors and writings. He convinced me to post the story here to see what kind of reaction it would get.

I'm trying to get him to join the forum -- this way we can all get on his case about the story. He also lives in El Dorado Hills and can see Comptech's building from his office (practically a stone's throw away). He has been telling me about various NSXs and S2000s they've been testing up and down the streets there.

Oh, by the way, the picture is not a fake. It's a real picture of the SSM showcar.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Banned

How cruel!! I was picking out the color I wanted. What is the car in the pic?

Quick Reply: End of the S2000 in 2003?? Is it true??