S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Engine near stalling at idle

Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine near stalling at idle

Now I've seen this on here multiple times and I've researched some of the solutions but which one actually works?

The whole spraying dodge cleaner in the intake for 5 minutes worries me... So what can I do to fix this. Today was the worst one ever. While autocrossing, a few runs down the road everytime I'd wait to start my run I'd have clutch in and first gear, I'd rev up a little and it would drop below 500rpms and clunk like it was going to stall. What is the best way I can fix this problem?

Thank you guys so much,
Nick

And btw, yes, I've ACTUALLY done my research
Old 04-02-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K:-),Apr 2 2006, 09:53 PM
but which one actually works?
Since I'm one of the "solutions", I guess you know which one I vote for.

I know it's tempting at the start of a competition as everyone else is doing it, but on those occasions you know the idle will drop low like that, STOP REVVING IT. If you're trying to keep the intake clear of hot air build up from idling, then just hold the revs up a bit higher and keep them there. If you're going to let the revs come back down to idle, let it down more slowly. When intake temps are hot and you've been excercising your car, blipping the throttle while waiting is almost a given that it will drop below the normal idle speed. Nothing is really wrong with your car. It's just the ECU trying to adapt to various parameters at the time. If there are other S2000s there and they don't do it, all this means is that they have learned better than yours or their parameters are not identical to yours.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=xviper,Apr 3 2006, 12:33 AM] Since I'm one of the "solutions", I guess you know which one I vote for.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:53 PM

I know what you mean. I even used the term "blipping the throttle". That means exactly what you are doing. Everyone does it while waiting their turn to go. Unfortunately, the S sometimes doesn't like it and the more you play with the gas, the longer it will delay its learning.
Doing it when you do nothing with the throttle when you put the clutch down and select 1st gear may be a sign that your clutch is dragging. The simple act of putting it into gear at a stop light doesn't change anything electronically. If the idle dips, then it's the clutch or you have your foot playing with the gas pedal.
I've given my opinion. I suggest you wait for others and then decide for yourself which one you want to pick. The car is new to you and you will learn all the little characteristics of it as time goes by. This dipping idle is just one of them.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Should I take it to honda about the clutch thing you're talking about because I can have my foot a mile from the gas, or brake pedal but when I put the clutch in and move it to first gear it does that bog... Since it's under warranty will Honda mess with it? Thanks for all your help Viper
Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by S2K:-),Apr 2 2006, 11:02 PM
Should I take it to honda about the clutch thing you're talking about because I can have my foot a mile from the gas, or brake pedal but when I put the clutch in and move it to first gear it does that bog... Since it's under warranty will Honda mess with it? Thanks for all your help Viper
Not sure. A clutch is considered an wear item and generally, will not be covered by warranty.
When I say clutch, I'm talking about the hydraulics, too. This is the first place you need to look. Since the car is new to you, have you checked out whether or not all the fluids are good?
A clutch fluid flush and bleed and clutch pedal rod may resolve some of your problems. How about tranny fluid? Rear diff fluid? Brake fluid? What about the simple stuff like air filter, spark plugs? The injectors may be a little gummed up or sticky and may need treatment. Many of these things, if not done for a long time, may be responsible for what you're seeing. And oddly enough, being unfamiliar with the car, your carpet may be bunched in a way that the clutch pedal can't go down as far as it needs to. Check that. It also may not be engaging at the correct place.
Now that I know the car is used but new to you, this dipping idle thing may not be as simple as it is for most S2000s.