S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Engine power problems (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/engine-power-problems-110016/)

Jazz_Bass66 03-12-2003 04:17 AM

Engine power problems

Hello,

I've got a Honda S 2000, it's having problems of power.
It's lost power sometimes.
I know that Honda called back some S 2000 for engine's problems.
Have you hear something about that.

Thanks

JC

djohnston 03-12-2003 04:27 AM

You need to provide us with more information for a diagnosis.

Barry in Wyoming 03-12-2003 04:31 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=79190
That link will get you started with information about the MY99, MY00, MY01 and MY02 (part year) recall to update the oil jet bolts. I don't think it has anything to do with your problem.

Do a search on MAP sensor. It sounds like a MAP sensor problem is one possibility. A good shop should help. You need a scan of your ECU and more details.

Jazz_Bass66 03-12-2003 05:50 AM

Thanks for your response.

A newspaper reported that Honda recalled its cars due to defect spark plugs.
Honda changes defect plugs to good ones.

I'm looking for someones that got some power problems before Honda changes spark plugs.

hoof 03-12-2003 12:36 PM

There's no guarantee the spark plugs will make a difference. The spark plug recall wasn't due to power loss, but due to spark plugs working themselves loose (which in at least one case resulted in a destroyed engine).

I had a hesitant engine (the engine would lose power) and poor gas mileage at about 35k miles. It turned out to be a bad MAP sensor. I purchased a new MAP sensor and everything went back to normal. The indicator was that at full throttle, above 6k the engine would "lurch". The diagnosis was done by opening the hood, and thumping the MAP sensor a few times with a pen. The engine acted ok for a day or two then degraded again.

My new MAP sensor has operated perfectly so far. But if it happens again, I'll buy another one. They're "only" 43 bucks mail order, much cheaper than an analysis of the problem through a dealership (my car is out of warranty).

BTW, MAP sensor = Manifold Pressure sensor. It's the device that reads what the air pressure in the manifold is. That pressure is directly proportional to the power you'll get at a certain RPM, and it's used to regulate several things (including how much gas to inject via the fuel injectors). It it's bad or failing, then you'll get the wrong fuel mixtures, which is why the fuel economy goes south.

nastinupe1 03-12-2003 12:37 PM

Dude... you are so vague. Please give us more info.
The S2000 had defective spark plugs, not every single Honda. However, this was not for every single model year. We need to know some basic information like:

What year your car is
How many miles do you have on your car?
Did you buy your car new?
Have you had any TSB's done?
Do you know what TSB's are?
Did you warm your car up?
What RPM was your car at when you lost power?
What gear were you in?
What did the engine sound like?
What HAPPENED to the RPMs when you "lost power"?
And anything else that might help us pinpoint the problem.

Simply saying that you "lost power" won't get you any help around here. I mean, you could have lost power becasue you ran out of gas or something. We don't know unless you tell us everything.

DarioManfretti 03-12-2003 12:39 PM

Are you sure that the car is warmed up to three bars on the water temperature? If not, the car will sputter when you try to go into VTEC range (rev limiter will kick in).

DarioManfretti 03-12-2003 12:41 PM

Everyone keep in mind that Jazz_Bass66 is from Paris France so he may not be able to communicate his problem well.

hoof 03-12-2003 01:04 PM

DarioManfretti, I hope you mean because of english not being his 1st language, and not because he's French...

nastinupe1 03-12-2003 01:05 PM

I didn't mean to sound "rude". I think that all of the flamming that goes on around here has turned me heartless.