S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

EPS light/ steering not working

Old 08-09-2001, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPS light/ steering not working

Three times in six months when I have started the car, the EPS light has come on and there was NO power steering. It doesn't "fix" itself so I turn the car off and start it again, and then the streering works. I haven't taken it to Honda yet because it is a sporatic problem, which I'm sure they will say I'm nuts. Has anyone else experienced this problem??
Old 08-09-2001, 08:13 PM

If you are turning the wheel while starting the engine the EPS will not work until you restart car.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:42 PM

I have had this exact same problem with my car twice in the past 4 months (same pace, I guess I'm due for another in 2 months ) and I wasn't touching my steering wheel when I started the engine. It's easily remedied by re-starting the engine. It's the ONLY problem that I've had to date. I hope any other problems that should arise will be as mundane.
ü
Old 08-10-2001, 06:09 AM

This happened to me once. I restarted and it never happened again.

Wesmaster
Old 10-19-2001, 11:55 PM

My '00 S2000 left the garage this morning with no power steering and the EPS light on. I tried stopping, restarting car, etc. and it didn't help. Car is at the dealer being looked at now. It was pretty funny watching them try to maneuver it through the shop with no PS though!

Hopefully, it will be back tomorrow or Monday.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:40 AM

Well, I picked up my S2000 from the SF Honda dealer yesterday, and the verdict on my power steering problems was that a rodent chewed through part of the wiring harness. Apparently, this isn't that uncommon for garaged cars in San Francisco.

Unreal. And $750 to have repaired...apparently rodents have easier access to the wiring than technicians do! My car insurance did cover this under comprehensive though.

Anyone have any idea how to prevent this in the future? The car was parked for about 3 weeks while I was on vacation. Obviously, we have set traps...
Old 10-26-2001, 03:00 PM

where is the wire harness located?
the wire must smell like food to the rodents
Old 10-27-2001, 06:13 AM

I encountered the same problem with my EPS. Every so often the EPS light would come on and I'd be without power steering. The only way to get the power steering back was to restart the car.

I took the car to my local dealer and they replaced my EPS control unit under warranty.

Haven't had a problem since, but it's only been about 400 miles...
Old 10-27-2001, 09:14 AM

The wiring harness runs through quite a bit of the engine bay. In my case, the rodent chewed through it near the torque sensor on the steering rack.

Car is much better now!
Old 10-27-2001, 10:10 AM

My power steering went out and the ESP light came on. The dealer repalaced the controller. Still no power steering. The dealer found that the wire has "burned". Every thing is now fixed. I am wonder if there is not a design problem with the wireing.

Quick Reply: EPS light/ steering not working