S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ex-NSX owner looking to get a S2000

Old 12-16-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ex-NSX owner looking to get a S2000

Sad to say, I sold my 1994 NSX (#49) back in the end of April. It was a great 3.5 years that I had her, but after watching the real estate market boom here in Southern California (25-30% growth) over the last few years, I decided it probably was better that I owned more property rather than a beautiful car.

Well, I wound selling the car, buying a place, (this is the funny part) and bought a Miata to replace the NSX. Becuase I didnt want to be without a "fun car". I wound up buying an old Miata figuring I would tinker with it, and have fun with that. Well.. 7 months later, I'm bored with it now. Hmmmm.. wonder why. Anyhow, becuase the market has done so well in the last few months, I have decided to jumpback in and get rid of the Miata and get a car with a little more umph. I was thinking about buying an NSX again, but decided to keep the money in the stock and real estate market for a few more years so Ill have enough for the new one. (fingers crossed) I figured the S2000 was the next best thing. Everyone who I have read talk about the S2000 has said its a baby NSX. I found a couple good deals on a few S2000 and I was wondering if anyone here has (or have had) both an NSX and an S2000 and could tell me what they thought the similarities and differences are.

I have read countless articles about people complaining about the torque on the cars, and that basically you have to really really wind them up before they start to perform. Is this really frustrating in day to day driving? Is it that bad? I know the vtec kicks in after 6000+, so is the S2000 going to feel like my miata in terms of power until I swing pass the VTEC? No one ever has complained about the handling, so I assume its on par or simliar to an NSX. is this true?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have only driven an nsx once and that was a while ago so I really dont have any input there...

But about the torque issue...I think everyone makes it out to look like its a bigger deal than it is. The car is plenty fast below vtec (my opinion). You really need to drive the car to decide for yourself. And if you decide after you bought the car that it needs more power, slap a supercharger on there (vortech ($4200), or comptech($4500)) and you will be good to go
Old 12-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

You need to drive one...that will say it all
Old 12-16-2003, 01:37 PM

The interior of the S2000 is much nicer than the NSX...the NSX, while a nice car, is overpriced for what it has to offer. I would love to own one but I don't think I would pay that much for one...the S2000 is something that is a little easier to live with day to day and the amount of 'stuff' that you get in such a small package makes it worth buying
Old 12-16-2003, 01:39 PM

PM Hardtopguy. He owns a beautiful 92 NSX and works for Honda. I know that he has driven many S2k's and might have some insight for you. He might even help you purchase an S2k
Old 12-16-2003, 01:47 PM

Definately, Im heading out to check out an 03 tomorrow at lunch. I think I can pick it up for a good price. Im kinda weary of taking a test drive with the guy and driving it up to its 9000 RPM in a test, but I guess thats whats gotta happen. I doubt Ill be able to test the handling characteristics they way I would really want to, which is why I am asking here.

Is there anything that I should look out for? I did a search for PROBLEMS.. 15,000 threads came up. Any HUGE issues known to the S2000?
Old 12-16-2003, 04:37 PM

I found this discussion on nsxprime. you may find it interesting
Old 12-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by billman250
You need to drive one...that will say it all

i had a civic 2 weeks ago. i always loved the look of the S personally and i told my friend that works at a dealership that one day when we were hanging out. one saturday i was at a baby shower.. he calls me at 8pm telling me that he just got one in on trade at one of his lots. they were closed sunday... monday night after work i was there test driving it... wednesday i signed the paperwork. the test drive alone says it all !!!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:48 PM

I owned a 2000 NSX for about 2 years. I traded it for a Jaguar S-type R for more comfort, room and luxury. I began to miss the NSX and having a car to take to High performance driving events. I then test drove, STi, 350Z, Miata, 03 S2000, Mitsu Evo, and the only one that put a grin on my face was the S2000. It reminds me very much of the NSX. In some ways it is better...drop top, stiffer chassis than the targa, similar construction quality and engineering philosophy, much less expensive. I went looking for a good used 02 or 03 S and they were all holding value so well, I decided to order an 04. I have 800 miles on my 04 and it is a blast to drive. The only thing I miss is the that wailling 6 cylinder...the S's 4 is much more raucous and rough. I think you will find the S a really nice substitute.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:53 PM

I've owned 23 sportscars since 1979 (don't ask...lol) and let me tell you the
test drive in the S2000, if you can push the car, is like your first kiss. The one
trait that stands out most definitively about the car is (for the pre '04 models)
the hardcore nature of it. It makes no apologies for being what it is.
It is a Grace Jones automobile in a Britney Spears world.

http://www.baric.de/grace/lyrics/perfect.htm
Note the line, "I'm not perfect, but I'm perfect for you."

Quick Reply: Ex-NSX owner looking to get a S2000