S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Extended warranty.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car has 25k miles on it. Top is fine. One small tear that I repaired. The top is considered standard maintenance, so I don't think it's covered.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Dealers make s killing selling extended warranties. Most are never used. You could put that cash toward future fluid changes, tires and or brakes, which are most likely not covered by that warranty. If you take care of your S, chances are, it will last a long time before needing major work. Ultimately, it's your call.
I would take some time to examine what exactly it covers and ask yourself how likely or unlikely it is that any of those components will experience a mechanical breakdown, keeping in mind your driving style. AP2s, when properly driven and maintained, rarely have issues when it comes to the big ticket items, i.e. engine and transmission.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Cash it in, but put the $1000+ in a savings account to fund future repairs.

If you add up all the repairs that a warranty would have covered in my 35 years of car ownership the cost was less than buying the extended warranty on one car.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
Originally Posted by Reckon' timestamp='1421334112' post='23469034
Have you had one of the local area gurus take a look at it?

I haven't had anyone look at it other than my dad (he is a mechanic) and he says it runs amazing. I was talking to Brett about getting the valves adjusted, but I'm actually going to see my dad this Saturday and he said he could do it. If it breaks down, yes I'll have the money to repair it, but it will suck. At this point though, I really feel that it's a very strong running car without any issues. I will keep it for the drive to ATL and back, so if something does happen, it will be covered. Other than that though, I think I'll take the money and use it towards the car.
Good. See if he can do a compression test and leakdown test at the same time (already will have the plugs out to do the VA). If that looks good (consistent readings between the cylinders for compression and less than 5% leakage), then the car is probably healthy and you can get your money back on the warranty.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger

If you add up all the repairs that a warranty would have covered in my 35 years of car ownership the cost was less than buying the extended warranty on one car.
Agreed. Set that money aside and let it work for you (instead of the warranty company) by growing some interest.

These cars are extremely reliable (with proper car) and fairly easy to work on. Plus, if you're like most of us (give it time, you will be), you won't want anybody else touching your car (especially the dealership yahoos).

The math is simple; extended warranties are massive money makers (my s came with a year of coverage, and I never used it). If the warranty companies didn't come out ahead, then they wouldn't be in business. The simple fact that they are in business is proof that, in the end, they win.

Are there exceptions? Of course there is the rare example of a warranty covering a big repair. But, you can't judge their value by a single repair; you have to average it out (not just for one car, but for all the extended warranties you purchase during your life).

Same goes for appliances, electronics, etc.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1421414604' post='23470375

Agreed. Set that money aside and let it work for you (instead of the warranty company) by growing some interest.

These cars are extremely reliable (with proper car) and fairly easy to work on. Plus, if you're like most of us (give it time, you will be), you won't want anybody else touching your car (especially the dealership yahoos).

The math is simple; extended warranties are massive money makers (my s came with a year of coverage, and I never used it). If the warranty companies didn't come out ahead, then they wouldn't be in business. The simple fact that they are in business is proof that, in the end, they win.

Are there exceptions? Of course there is the rare example of a warranty covering a big repair. But, you can't judge their value by a single repair; you have to average it out (not just for one car, but for all the extended warranties you purchase during your life).

Same goes for appliances, electronics, etc.

The point for extended warranties is for risk averse people to get piece of mind they won't pay more than X amount in X time period. I think for Japanese cars it is less of a worry than a german car.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
The point for extended warranties is for risk averse people to get piece of mind they won't pay more than X amount in X time period. I think for Japanese cars it is less of a worry than a german car.
I get the point of them, but when you talk numbers (like the OP is asking about), they don't make sense.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I'll bet that any issues you have at this point will all be wear items and won't be covered.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Guys guys guys. It is done. Warranty has been canceled.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
Guys guys guys. It is done. Warranty has been canceled.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: Extended warranty.