S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Family man needs advice.

Old 10-22-2000, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my problem.

I'll be a new dad in the spring , and I don't want to totally dump all child transportation issues on my wife (ie, it would be nice to have the flexiblity of being able to shuttle child around town and so forth). Of course, I don't know how all that will work out, since this is our first and I work all the time anyway.

Would you:

1. Keep s2k, buy an affordable used 4 door, which you would hate to drive?

2. Keep s2k, for year or so, wait till e46 m3 can be purchased, and buy it and sell s2k?

3. Get rid of s2k now, while I can still get a decent price on it b/c of its rarity, and buy Audi s4, while saving the 10k (or more) in the difference between the the m3 and s4?

I really think the s4 is a cool car, but not as cool as the m3, and it suspect reliablity. Especially when chipped (which you have to do!).

Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2000, 01:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by frayed:
[B]Here's my problem.
Would you:

Old 10-22-2000, 01:53 PM

How much do you like your roadster, frayed? If you like it, keep it. Very true that if the new M3 and S4 are cars you're considering, you can afford to hold on to the S2k no matter what you choose.

You live in Texas so AWD for its practicality isn't needed. Its performance is another story... Since I bought my Subaru I've become more and more an AWD advocate. So therefore I can seriously value an S4.

This kid's on the way. You'll be waiting forever for an M3. If you must have one of the two, get the Audi. Indeed, use the money on home necessities. Savings account, for instance. (Better still: mutual fund)

Then again... I personally would choose your first option. Why? Babies....eject.... lots of things. I'd have a hard time buying a $40,000+ automobile and sticking my newborn in it. You won't be able to use the car as-intended with the kid in there, anyway, so save the money, save the hassle, get yourself an "affordable used 4-door" that you WON'T hate driving.

If you dig Audi, there's always an A4. Or a nice V6 Honda or Toyota or.........
Old 10-22-2000, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a beater the kid can puke and pee and spill stuff all over. Have you seen the cars kids have been in? Would you really want your new M3/S4 to look like that and would it be fair to get frustrated and scold the kid for being, well, a kid?

You say you'll hate it but nobody says you have to drive it without baby in it and you sure aren't going to be hot dogging around with an infant in the car.

So the answer is simple, get the baby its own car and you keep yours. You will both be happy. The kid can projectile vomit all over the seatbacks in its and you can drive the shit out of yours. Two happy campers.

Being a father will change the way you think but it shouldn't change your toys. Compromises are just natures way of making sure nobody gets what they want. Congrats!
Old 10-22-2000, 05:09 PM
pfb

You can keep your S2K and buy a brand new Subaru Legacy Wagon (great family car, BTW), for little more than an S4 is going to run you, and less than you could possibly get a new M3 for...
Old 10-22-2000, 05:21 PM

Subarus are crap compared to Audis and BMW.

Keep the S2000, and get a Honda Civic sedan or an Accord sedan.

Stick the money you will save into the stock market and....

Get a 2002 M3 coupe, thats when they will put in the 400HP V8.

Do not put a baby into the S2000, m3 or even a S4, they will mess it up.

Keep the S2000 because it is rare and you gots to have some fun.

The S4 and the M3 are awesome cars.
Old 10-22-2000, 05:24 PM

IMHO, I think you should go with option 1. I will be in your boat pretty soon too so we bought a SUV last year for traveling and future family members (2) and S2K for my toy. Good luck man! BTW, it you decide to get rid of the S2K, that would not be the only thing you will miss but SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP!
Old 10-22-2000, 06:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread reinds me of an ad I saw for the Nissan 300ZX in the early to mid '90's.

It was on a billboard on the approach to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was just a picture of the Z and the line "Sell the kids".
bit daft considering the 300ZX was only sold as a 2+2 over here. maybe they were refering to the price.
Old 10-22-2000, 06:06 PM

Subarus are far from crap. They don't cost as much as an Audi or BMW, and they aren't as fast, but I guarantee they'll last longer.

Not to mention BMWs and Audis don't hold their value worth a damn, but we shall NOT be making this into a war.

-S2-
Old 10-22-2000, 06:53 PM

Depending on what your wife now drives, maybe you can get an SUV or Minvan(shudder) to share when baby makes three. Since she'll probably spend more time with the baby in the beginning than you will, she'll do the majority of the "baby" driving chores anyway. The SUV/Van can be a good traveling vehicle as well. Put the extra dough in a college fund for the kiddo; I understand they cost about $350K to raise to 18 these days, not counting college. Keep the stook and look forward to the M3. What a problem to have; oh, the humanity!

Quick Reply: Family man needs advice.