S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Finally got to drive a S2K

Old 11-14-2001, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I was in Las Vegas last weekend for part of Comdex and decided that if I was going to buy a S2K, I should really test drive it first just to make sure, so I rented one from one of those exotic car rental places on the strip.

So my buddy and I hop into the car and take off. The first thing that I notice right away is just how damn short the throw is for the shifter. I've never drive a car with such a short throw. It took me at least a dozen shifts to get somewhat used to it.

The first thing we do is head over to the nearest McDonald's to grab a Coke. So I pull up to the windows to pay and the guy at the windows is like "Wow, nice car. Is that a Porsche?" I couldn't help snicker to myself because of all the post here about people constantly mistaking it for something more exotic. So I'm like "No, its a Honda." and I asked him if he'd like to hear me rev it up to 9k rpm. Of course he says yes and about a sec later, the motor is revving at 9k. Boy, the look on this face was amazing. His jaw almost hit the countertop.

So we spent the next several hours just driving around Vegas and going up and down the Strip having fun with the car. I don't know if it was the Kuhno's that the place had put on or if the car is really that twitchy, but I had absolutely no problem getting the rear end to drift going around corners. I mean there were several times that I had to saw away at the wheel just to keep it going straight. The people waiting to go straight at the light must of been like WTF is he doing.

All and all, a very good time. I'm still smiling as I am writing this.
Old 11-14-2001, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great time and a real solid test drive! Hope you can get one soon
Old 11-14-2001, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good experience, go buy one!
Old 11-15-2001, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Voodoo_S2K
I don't know if it was the Kuhmo's that the place had put on or if the car is really that twitchy, but I had absolutely no problem getting the rear end to drift going around corners.
Wow...Kuhmos. I think you rented the same one I did in August. Was it Silverstone/Black? Was it from that place next to the Harley Davidson Cafe? There is so much traffic on the strip that it makes it hard to get a good feel for the car. You should have taken the car out to Hoover Damn. The road is nice...full of twisties and well-paved. Glad you liked the car though!! Renting that car was the best thing we did while I was in Vegas. I ordered an S2000 the day I got back
Old 11-15-2001, 09:42 AM

How much did you pay to rent that s2000 for a day?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Station

Wow...Kuhmos. I think you rented the same one I did in August. Was it Silverstone/Black? Was it from that place next to the Harley Davidson Cafe? There is so much traffic on the strip that it makes it hard to get a good feel for the car. You should have taken the car out to Hoover Damn. The road is nice...full of twisties and well-paved. Glad you liked the car though!! Renting that car was the best thing we did while I was in Vegas. I ordered an S2000 the day I got back
Yeah, the one I rented was Silverstone/Black. The place I rented from was next to the Polo Towers. I know that it is near the Harley Cafe, but I think there is another place also near by. I rented the car from Sunday to Monday, so traffic on the strip wasn't bad at all, but I should of taken it out somewhere to stretch its leg. The funny thing about the car was that 6th gear was either locked out or screw up because I could get it into 6th gear to that meant no top speed runs.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by dilly
How much did you pay to rent that s2000 for a day?
$150/day, $.50 mile. 100 free miles included.
Old 11-15-2001, 01:52 PM

Kewl, thanx for your reply...That was cheaper than I expected. Looks like I will practice my stick shift driving skills on that baby soon! I pass by that rent a car place everyday on my way to work @ the bellagio. Wonder how much the viper is? 300?
Old 11-15-2001, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dilly
[B]Kewl, thanx for your reply...That was cheaper than I expected. Looks like I will practice my stick shift driving skills on that baby soon! I pass by that rent a car place everyday on my way to work @ the bellagio.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:39 PM

Revved it up to nine grand in neutral.. ouch.. oh well it's not yours right...

Quick Reply: Finally got to drive a S2K