S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fine for no Catalytic?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Police in Irvine have a portable sniffer. o_O
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its stinks, i can smell it with the top down
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 AM

The test pipe smell is waaay exaggerated. Ive been pulled over 3 times since I got the test pipe and they never even mentioned how loud my single exhaust was or anything regarding a test pipe. Get the T1R test pipe that comes with tabs so you can re-use the cat converters heat shield so it looks just like a cat. If the cops says something tell him hes bsing and when he jacks up your car he'll see the "cat". Unless you head is within a foot of the exhaust pipe you cant smell the test pipe. At least thats how it is in my car.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Test Pipes are worthless on a DD. Ive had one and got rid of it. No gains but a dirty bumper. The smell isnt even that bad. CA laws suck but I think we can live without test pipes. I rather save a bit of the enviornment that I dont give a crap about lol.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Code3S2k,Aug 16 2008, 03:55 PM
Test Pipes are worthless on a DD. Ive had one and got rid of it. No gains but a dirty bumper. The smell isnt even that bad. CA laws suck but I think we can live without test pipes. I rather save a bit of the enviornment that I dont give a crap about lol.
I gained 7whp on a back to back dyno with the berk test pipe on a stock exhaust and stock header. Also at least a 10lb weight reduction. No CEL, no smell, no dirty bumper (although mines black). Pretty good for $120.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Code3S2k,Aug 16 2008, 11:55 AM
its you against the whole s2ki because almost everyone here has a testpipe keep it to yourself...the test pipe do smell (you should check your nose) its doesn't get my bumper dirty, maybe you got a bad engine (thats why its gets your rear bumper dirty with all smoke) i gained some power with test pipe
Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=J_STATUS,Aug 16 2008, 01:43 PM]its you against the whole s2ki because almost everyone here has a testpipe
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=zoomkat,Aug 16 2008, 02:33 PM] Well, maybe you and the pimple faced mall rat crowd.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Code3S2k,Aug 16 2008, 11:55 AM
If you have a high-flow exhaust, you will see HUGE gains from a TP. My dyno showed probably 10hp difference on top of what my 70mm exhaust gained me. Plus, it fixes the drone problem on many of the louder exhaust systems.

NOBODY on this site has ever got the "big fine" you read about. Actually, the law people site this number from could even include an exhaust or non-carb intake. Don't stress it. Even if you get an exhaust fix-it ticket and have a TP, they aren't going to do anything except cite you for the noise.

I live in Newport and drive through Irvine every day. I've never had a problem. Just don't be a moron and shift at 5k on surface strees with your loud exhaust and cops will leave you be.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 17 2008, 12:40 AM
If you have a high-flow exhaust, you will see HUGE gains from a TP. My dyno showed probably 10hp difference on top of what my 70mm exhaust gained me. Plus, it fixes the drone problem on many of the louder exhaust systems.

NOBODY on this site has ever got the "big fine" you read about. Actually, the law people site this number from could even include an exhaust or non-carb intake. Don't stress it. Even if you get an exhaust fix-it ticket and have a TP, they aren't going to do anything except cite you for the noise.

I live in Newport and drive through Irvine every day. I've never had a problem. Just don't be a moron and shift at 5k on surface strees with your loud exhaust and cops will leave you be.
Its just my opinion. I never had a test pipe on my S2k. Ive had them on several other cars and had minimal gains. It just wasnt worth it for me. If you guys like it thats cool.

Quick Reply: Fine for no Catalytic?