S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front License Plate Removal???

Old 10-08-2003, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Removal???

I live in Massachusetts and the dealer I bought my S2k from said that since the car had a red letter license plate, there had to be one on the front of the car. I personally think that it looks ugly and I would like to take it off. I was wondering if that would be breaking the law in Massachusetts?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM

There should be a law protecting readers from threads like this one...
Old 10-08-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Connecticut and Massachusetts is in transition from being a single plate state to requiring front and back plates. On older cars, only a single plate was issued, therefore, those cars would continue to display a single plate. When dual plates were issued, they are required to display dual plates.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:36 PM

how about in california?
Old 10-08-2003, 03:40 PM

Here's a neat feature. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...ense+plate+laws

To answer your question:

States that require front/back license plates:

Alaska, American Samoa, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Manitoba (newly issue plates), New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
States that require only a rear license plate :

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, West Virginia, Alberta, Quebec, Manitoba (New plates are front/back in 1997), Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territory
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Info:

Some states have attempted to require front license plates. Those states include Indiana and Louisiana.

Colorado and Montana legislature has attempted to becoming single plate states but have met strong resistance from the law enforcement community.

Connecticut and Massachusetts is in transition from being a single plate state to requiring front and back plates. On older cars, only a single plate was issued, therefore, those cars would continue to display a single plate. When dual plates were issued, they are required to display dual plates.

When registration laws are enforced most states that require 2 license plates will enforce the front license plate law on out-of-state motorist if their state requires a front license plate.

Manitoba issues 2 plates but the front plate is optional on the old issue but are mandatory on new issue.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by midnitetalon
There should be a law protecting readers from threads like this one...
I agree - you'd think it would be just as easy to pose the question to a Google search or find "DMV" for one's state.

My fav questions are ones covered in the Owner's manual, or on the car somewhere, such as:

"What is the correct tire pressure"?
"How do I cut off the Service Engine light?"
"Where's the spare"?
"Where are the jacking points"?
"What is the torque spec for wheel nuts"?

"Did the sun rise today"?

"If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind"?

It's all just noise in the system.

I dunno, maybe my generation has a tendency to go it alone, while the gen;s raised on electronic quick-fixes go a different route. Not condemning, just seeking to understand.

Heck, maybe my post is another one someone else needs to be protected from...

Old 10-08-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Thanks for all the info, oh energetic one!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:41 PM

I have never been bothered by not having my front plate but now wonder about a quick mount for traveling in problem places like boulder, colo.
maybe a magnetic mount or some kinda nylon tie gumbo!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:50 PM

I haven't run a front plate since two days after I received them. My solution has been to take a velcro visor mount CD holder, wrap it around the plate and put it under my seat. If I get pulled over for not having one, I can simply put it in the front window (the cd holder keeps the metal plate from scratching my dash) and explain to the officer that I was in an accident and they never replaced the front plate mounting bracket but I have one on order from the dealer. If the officer asks why I don't keep it on the dash at all times, I simply explain the concept of aerodynamics as it relates to lightweight, flat, metal objects when the top is down and that having my license plate fly out of my vehicle could cause a more serious incident to other drivers on the road than if I just keep it under my seat.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
I haven't run a front plate since two days after I received them.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Removal???