S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

General vs. OT

Old 10-18-2000, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any particular reason for this? People see a post here, they come back looking for it, and it's gone. Why is there an OT vs another forum anyway? We're all here for the same reason (S2000), and it seems inane to me to have an OT after the failure at H-A trying the same thing. All it results in is several different locations within which to look for things, and many of us don't have the time or patience for that. Count me as one!
Old 10-18-2000, 08:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, since the moderators are having such a hard time getting people to place the threads in the correct category, why don't we just eliminate 1.
Old 10-18-2000, 08:59 AM
Tox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO it's a natural evolution of a bulletin board that starts to get too crowded. As the traffic increases, posts go off the bottom of the page before most people ever see them. Adding new pages is like adding rooms to a house -- it gives people more places to talk and keeps the pace of new posts reasonable.

Check out the Miata board, which probably has twenty times our traffic, to see a fully-developed version of this. They've got about ten different Miata-related topics, and posters go to the room that has the topic they're interested in.

It works well, but it takes a bit of getting used to.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:02 AM

I personally have no problem with having two, except that whenever I move a post it appears locked in the original forum. That's why I don't like moving them, but since we do have 2 forums right now, we have to deal with it that way. Also...this should be in the s2000 online forum, but I guess I'll just keep it here for now.

Jay
Old 10-18-2000, 09:07 AM

I'd agree with Sondra. One of the huge advantages of a BBS over a mail list is you can quickly look at the titles and decide what you want to read, and even if you start reading one that you don't find interesting or "off topic", you can quickly get out and look at another. The quicker you can scan the topics, the better.

The comparison with the Miata board really isn't that valid here as there are hundreds of thousands of Miata users, hence their number of users on the BBS and the quantity of messages posted will be MUCH higher than it ever will be here.

Personally I find it irritating to see the locks on every page when many of the subjects that remain in my opinion are just a "off topic" as the ones that have been removed.

Hope I get this posted before this thread is moved to OT
Old 10-18-2000, 09:15 AM

One of the differences between S2000Online (a great new home!) and h-a.net is that h-a.net is a BB that encompasses all Honda and Acura cars, with a different forum for each one. But it still has a bunch of other forums, i.e., kill stories, off-topic (which got moved to another server it was so popular), for-sale, etc.

The OT forum here seems to be just that - a forum for non-S2000-related discussion. The Group Buy Forum will allow these posts to be found easier without getting lost in the overall discussions.

I think the problem is one of adaptation ... now that we've got our own BB all to ourselves, we don't know how to deal with it. We're used to finding everything we were interested in in one Forum on a board with a bunch of topics. Now that we've got more flexibility, why constrain ourselves to a different model?

(BTW, this should get moved to the S2000 Online Forum!! )
Old 10-18-2000, 09:25 AM

The advantage of a separate OT forum is that when the mods lock a thread, they move it there and it can continue. I kinda like the OT here for that reason.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have to agree with TFota. This place is starting to boom! Pretty soon it will be hard for those that don't get here but say once a day to find anything. However, this is just my opinion. If the majority of the board wants it the other way, I wouldn't care.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:07 AM

I personally like having OT. However, does it make sense to use some icon other than a lock for topics that have been moved to OT? The threads are not really locked, they've just moved.
Old 10-18-2000, 10:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

1) We tried having an S2000 off-topic forum at HA-net and it failed miserably and was removed a couple of days later.

2) It isn't that every thread that gets locked is moved to off-topic to continue as some people seem to think. The topics that are locked due to content are still ended; only off-topic discussions are moved to off-topic to continue and at that point they are locked in the originating forum. Since we didn't have an off-topic forum at HA-net you didn't see this happening there.

3) Here we are almost halfway through the business day and there are a whopping 10 threads in off-topic that have had replies today. That's not new threads necessarily; just ones with replies. The traffic issue doesn't really hold up IMHO.

4) It's the same amount of clicks to go to different forums as it is to go to another page of threads in the same forum so what's the point?

5) I can understand the idea of a group buy forum. It wouldn't get too much new traffic and then only when a group buy was hot and in progress. I understand the desire to make sure those posts and threads don't get lost in the hustle bustle world that is S2000Online. It's the off-topic forum I really don't understand and it seems there are a number of others who don't either based on the number of threads that have been locked and moved.

6) When do we open the "hottie of the day" forum?

Quick Reply: General vs. OT