S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Getting dust out of tail lights

Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting dust out of tail lights

Hi again guys. I noticed there is light colored dust/sand inside the tail lights of my 2006 ap2. Obviously it got in there. Any way to disassemble the tail lamps without breaking stuff to get the sand/dust out? Thank you.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:39 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Since it is practically impossible to crack them open, the only thing I have thought of is pulling the lights off the car, drilling a hole big enough to get a tool inside to clean / vacuum the dust out, and then sealing that hole with a rubber cover. Or just live with the dust.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:18 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

It is common - I've got same.
You will most likely make more of a mess trying to clean it out... I doubt a vaccum will such that out. The dust is not as "loose" in there as you may think otherwise it would scatter about as you drive which you may notice it doesn't.
Best option is new rear lights if it really bothers you.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't have feedback on this, but..

Old 04-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Put everything in a dry room(very low humidity) thats about 120f(oven) The heat should increase the resistance of the dust particles making it harder for static electric charge to hold them in place. Hit them with compressed air in the lamp holes and immediately put a shop vac to the hole.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I believe you can use a Zerostat instead to kill the charge and then vacuum. Much easier. I have one that works great on all kinds of static issues. It is from my Disc Washer set I use on vinyl LPs. Have had it since the 70s.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

I would NOT recommend taking them apart. I was successful in getting the lens off without cracking, however the lens bowed significantly, and did not go back onto the housing perfectly, so now there are a few gaps around the taillight.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I believe you can use a Zerostat instead to kill the charge and then vacuum. Much easier. I have one that works great on all kinds of static issues. It is from my Disc Washer set I use on vinyl LPs. Have had it since the 70s.
Gotta love the Zerostat recommendation. (Long live vinyl.)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

*USE THIS METHOD AT YOUR OWN CAUTION*

Buy some original branded Windex, no off brands etc. just the original.

Remove the tail light from the car and all electronics. Do this while the tail light is cold. I do this method over a tub. There is a small hole on the back of the tail light (aka the tail light housing), you can pour the windex into. You do not need a lot of it, so pour a generous amount in and rotate the tail light according to where the dust/debris you want to remove is. You can then rotate the tail light to accordingly to remove the liquid along with the debris. Feel free to use a blow dryer (be cautious of the heat) to remove the remaining windex or let it air dry. I have used this method many times and have never encountered any issues with it. The windex will not stain the outer black portion nor the lens seen from the exterior of the car as long as you use Original Windex.

Of course, take the opportunity to throughly clean the tail light, along the frame where the tail light sits, and the harness to aid in preventing future dust.

-Alec
Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Another warning not to open your tail lights. They are unlike headlights and will crack very easily.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.

Quick Reply: Getting dust out of tail lights