S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hardtop Questions..

Old 09-19-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hardtop Questions..

Hey guys . I just got a OEM hardtop for my car from a local guy . I wanted to install it but theres something missing ;

- Theres a part missing next to the seats where you install the hardtop side latches . Theres something that you put the levers inside . I dont know the exact word for this part . Where can i buy this item ? Can you please post a link .

I have all the other stuff that i need to install the hardtop except these parts.

- And also i want to remove my soft top . Is there a topic that shows how to do that ? I talked to the dealer but they asked for alot of money to do that So i want to remove the soft top with a friend in my garage .

Thanks alot for your help

Tolga
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM

It sounds like the side catcher. You can get them through www.hardtopguy.com

For removal of the soft top its pretty much remove what you see it is a two person job and it will take a 1st timer about 3-4 hrs to do. Remember the rear tray exits through the trunk, and the roll hoops do not go back together if you seperate them (you need to completely undue them and lift them off ) other than that theres a ton of 10mm bolts and plastice tabs to remove.

I would recomend removing the seats to make it easier

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply . I just talked to hardtopguy and they also said the same thing. I need Side catchers and brushes to install the hardtop.

About soft top removal , is there a topic that shows this with pictures ?

Thanks again
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM

You dont NEED brushes but I get them would unless you want to cut up your stock stuff . There is no write up for soft top removal. Its pretty cut and dry. If you want to take out everything incuding the motors and stuff you will need to take out most of your interior to get to everything. itll take 3-4 hours your first time. The service manual will help.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ridestrt,Sep 19 2007, 12:21 PM
You dont NEED brushes but I get them would unless you want to cut up your stock stuff . There is no write up for soft top removal. Its pretty cut and dry. If you want to take out everything incuding the motors and stuff you will need to take out most of your interior to get to everything. itll take 3-4 hours your first time. The service manual will help.
You can take the brushes off the plastic that mounts behind the door. Its mounted with a screw or 2 (can't remember if it was 1 or 2).
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ridestrt,Sep 19 2007, 01:21 PM
There is no write up for soft top removal.
Yes there is. It is very clearly and completely described in the Helm manual. Anyone who does major surgery on their car without having the service manual is an idiot. IMHO, of course.

(Not calling ridestrt an idiot, because clearly he used the service manual!)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 19 2007, 11:39 PM
Yes there is. It is very clearly and completely described in the Helm manual. Anyone who does major surgery on their car without having the service manual is an idiot. IMHO, of course.

(Not calling ridestrt an idiot, because clearly he used the service manual!)
Are you talking about the service manual ?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by drifttolga,Sep 19 2007, 01:44 PM
Are you talking about the service manual ?
Yeah. "Helm manual" = Honda official service manual, because it is sold by www.helminc.com
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Ya I ment there is no DIY write up on these forums. Of course the helms helps. It would have taken twice as long to do it without
Old 09-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Only quirk about using the Helm manual is that it talks about pulling things out in subassemblies. So you might start with the part on the convertible top, and it says to pull the trim out first. So you have to turn to the section on the trim, and then is says to pull something else out first. Etc. But if you just work through it and do what it says, it will be for the best.

BTW, it doesn't say to take the seats out first, but your life will be a lot easier if you do.

Quick Reply: Hardtop Questions..