S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Has anyone used "Magnetic Door Guards?"

Old 11-13-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autoanything.com/garage_product...lts.asp?prID=62
[QUOTE]

Magnetic Door Guard
Our Price: $29.95
Old 11-13-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you slide them then probally but if you just slap then on without moving them, I say they wont. Anyways if your paranoid about it scratching then put a microfiber cloth between the magnet and the body panel, im pretty sure the magnet will still stick.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:17 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to give it a try. I will post in this thread later to report how it worked out.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:09 AM

Great, another item to let others steal. Thought it was a good idea at first, but then I forgot about the world we actually live in. I guess i'll continue my long walks from my distant parking spots
Old 11-14-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Chitah831
Great, another item to let others steal. Thought it was a good idea at first, but then I forgot about the world we actually live in. I guess i'll continue my long walks from my distant parking spots
he has a car cover, so he'll probably put them on under the cover, making them less likely to be stolen. if he has a cable-locking car cover, they're even that much less likely to be stolen (incl. the cover).

I think these magnetic door guards are a good idea, considering your tight-quarters situation.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 PM

Yeah I realized he'd have the car cover over it. If that were the case it would be an excellent idea. I just made my statement for those who left the cover in the open like in the picture posted. Then that would be not such a great idea.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might stop some doors, but with the huge variance in both the shapes and heights of vehicles these days (like SUV's) you just know that the door that will hit your car will miss this gizmo.

And it will be stolen...

And it might serve as a challenge to some n'er do well...

I say punt on it - just another silly contraption. It would probably work in a two car garage where you know the door alignment of the vehicle next to you, and have small kids, grandma/grandpa, etc. who throw doors open.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 PM

Magnetic devices that stick out are an invitation to be "borrowed".

You might want to look at http://dingdefender.com for ones that are about the thickness of a CD, come in various colors and heights.

Being thinner and in a similar color should make them more unobtrusive.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 PM

I'm not sure about those Ding Defenders. They look so thin, I don't see how they could stop a dent. The ones I purchased have a cushioned cross section like a wing, so I think they would effectively disperse the energy of a car door. Also remember that I chose these strictly for use in my own private parking lot, underneath a car cover. I would never consider using them in a public parking area where they could be stolen.

For those considering them, the Door Guards are too short to protect the entire door of an S2000. I would recommend buying two sets, and putting two on each side of the car, end to end. The S2000 is pretty short, so I put them approximately over the horizontal edge just above the door handles. The magnets are strong enough to keep them on without slipping down the doors, but I have not tried them in any poor weather conditions. The price become a little steep for two sets, but I still think they're a good idea for certain situations.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:25 PM

Funny story. I remember hearing how an NSX owner bought these for his car........ but for got that his body panels were made out of aluminium. Too bad magnets don't stick to aluminium doh!

Quick Reply: Has anyone used "Magnetic Door Guards?"