S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have track days lead to any racing plans?

Old 11-12-2000, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see alot of people participating in open track days and was wondering if anyone has caught the "racing bug"?

Joining the SCCA, and reading the "competition manual" front to back,
is a sure sign. You may also be looking for the perfect bar, belts,and halon system ect, ect. Then you'll be driving around town in your new but slightly rusty F250 looking for a cheap trailer for the car.

After you start your racing career and get some events under your belt, most social activity will cease as you concentrate on preparing for winning, as opposed to just competing.

Now your credit card is really on fire, but it doesn't matter. The car has been "rubbed" a few times but you don't care. All that matters is winning. At this point your car (and your body-if you race motorcycles) has become just a tool to be used (and abused) on the road to victory. Victory at all costs!

Ahhh the glory!!

Oh, a little advice...go back a few steps, park your nice street car and buy the proper tool for the job! Because it won't be a very pretty street car when you're done with it.
Old 11-12-2000, 10:59 AM

I totally agree with Roceye. I have my 95 325is pretty tricked out. It all started 2 years ago. When I just want some track experience, I borrowed a helmet from my racing buddy and off I went to driving school. After that, I got my own helmet, short-shift, LTW flywheel, AP Brake, new suspension, 5 point seat belt, track timer, dozens and dozens of racing brake pads and dozens of race tire. I have caught porsche 911, Mustang Cobra, Caterham 7 and other M3s. After 20 some track days with few thousand track miles and several trophies. It is more addictive than drug. I am definetly hooked on Adrenalin. If I had a second chance, I would do it all over again.

I am sure I am not the only one here. because all my track buddies are the same as me.

so, while you are young, have fun and play hard.
Old 11-12-2000, 03:31 PM

Roceye,
Sounds like you have been there.
I have held an SCCA National Comp license for over 10 years and it all started by taking my 944 to the track for autox, time trials, drivers school,...and excuse to get on a race track.
At the end of 1999 I decided to quit. So I took all of 2000 off. No racing, except for one track day in the S2000.
Now I am well on my way to going racing again I have talked with the SCCA and they have agreed to renew my License with only the 1999 runoffs. (You are supose to have three nationals to do that)
While autox and track days are fun for some. It is nothing like road racing in anger.
Old 11-12-2000, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by funcar:
While autox and track days are fun for some. It is nothing like road racing in anger.

Amen to that Brother!
Old 11-12-2000, 04:09 PM

Hey guys-

I agree...

Track days led to my going to Skip Barber. I wouldn't have gone except that a good friend of mine insisted that I would learn much more there. I did- I learned that I threshold braked too late, and got back on the gas too quickly out of a turn. I was, however, ehem, the fastest guy in my particular school (I can hear it now- "SUUURE you were...")

Their Formula Dodge cars were rattraps. Effective, but crude teaching tools. I had the pleasure of taking a FF1600 car out for half an hour last year- no wings, slicks, good maintenance, good brakes... It was SUCH an eye opener. I've been telling Greg Stevens for the last few weeks that he needed to attend Skip Barber... I hope he does!

Next year I plan to race FF1600 at least four times, and maybe hit a couple of Motorola Cup races as part of a pit crew. My main goal would be to end up as a Motorola Cup champion, but I have to build up to that, so... I might also do some of the Midwest Regional Formula Dodge series too- if they use the new Reynard R/T2000 chassis.

Another friend of mine is doing the Barber Dodge Pro Series this coming year. He started in autoX, went to time trial track events, did the One Lap for three years, and this year competed in SCCA T1 in a Viper, sponsored by the owner of the Viper. I think he ended up with several track records for T1. In his case, I would say he's on the fast track to competition, especially since he's only 20 years old, and never raced karts.

-Nick
Old 11-12-2000, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by funcar:

It is nothing like road racing in anger.

That's for sure!

I did the SCCA thing in the eighties with a SVO Mustang. I had so much fun, a little success and met alot of nice people. It got me hooked on racing.

But racing with four wheels is alot differant than racing on two, and racing a bike is what I did for seven years. There is no other sport that produces more adrenaline.

Try running into turn one from a standing start at full tilt, with the field right behind you, or having someone cut across your front tire on a impossible line or have a bike that's carrying too much speed slide into your bike's "door" -your thigh, leaving a matching black "skid" mark across your bike and leathers. Watch your friend highside off his bike right in front of you as you decide what part of him you will have to run over. Feel time slow to a crawl as you realize you're losing control of the bike..and you're over 120mph. Controlling your emotions as you sit on the grid in the pouring rain waiting for the start...

Racing a car is big fun but, roadracing in anger is what Motorcycle racing is all about!

[This message has been edited by Roceye (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old 11-12-2000, 04:36 PM

I have never road raced bikes but that is something I have always wanted to do.
Someday I will go to a superbike school like Freddy Spencers.
I did the Motocross thing for a while until broken bones,age, and the threat of divorce force me to stop. Can you say AIR TIME.
Bikes are more fun than cars, but cars just cost money, bikes cost body(yours) parts.
Old 11-12-2000, 04:59 PM

Roceye

I couldn't agree with you more. I've done the driving schools at Mid-Ohio and Road Atlanta and just love throwing the car around a track, but nothing will ever touch the thrill of coming down the corkscrew at Laguna Seca on a Ducati. Pure Sensory Overload. However, with 3 small kids and in my line of work (orthopedic surgeon), the car is a little bit safer venue for catching the buzz. I have nothing but the greatest respect for those skillful enough to slide one or two or four contact patches with their life in the balance. TO ALL RACERS...I SALUTE YOU!
Old 11-12-2000, 09:52 PM

Have you all checked out the website www.nsxfiles.com?

Here's a guy who retired (Microsoft Engineer) and spent all his time racing an NSX. He got a Ferrari F355 for a daily driver and he and his buddy have chronicled his exploits. From the time he bought his NSX to it's now totally un-stock state, the stories are hilarious. It's amazing that his wife puts up with his sickness.

If you want to see the racing bug taken to an extreme, check out the website. He runs with the big boys now, but its fun to see his development. You won't be sorry.
Old 11-12-2000, 10:11 PM

Gee, that is cool. I would love to do that if I have the time and the money.

I have seen that F50 GT1 in Michigan. That owner also have several Ferrari including a F50.

Quick Reply: Have track days lead to any racing plans?