S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Having second thoughts on an S I'm supposed to pick up sat

Old 12-23-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having second thoughts on an S I'm supposed to pick up sat

I'm all set to pick up a very nice 01 S2k on Sat. Everything is good to go, but I'm having major second thoughts over the fact that I live in MN and the weather is bunk half of the year, as well as my living situation. I only have one off-street parking spot, and my company car has to be parked in it (company rule, can't park on the street). That means whatever S I buy will have to sit parked on the street outside my building. I live in a nice area, but even those have a few unscrupulous f@#ks running around looking to break into anything they think they can steal. I could spring for a storage shop, which I would do during the bad winter months, but that's not really practical or ideal when I want to drive it during the summer/spring/fall. Anyone else not have a place to put their S, but still put up with it? Am I making too big a deal over it?

I miss driving my old Honda so much that I literally started looking at houses with 2 car garages before I realized how insane that was! I'm planning on moving to California in the next few years so perhaps I'll just have to hold off. I'm getting so antsy to have a fun car again, though.. my company car is a 4 cylinder Chevy Equiniox -_-
Old 12-23-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be nervous if I were you. Leaving it on the street in MN doesn't sound like the best idea. I parked mine outside for 1 year in WA state and was nervous every time I went outside...I would speak with some other members in the area to find out what they do with their vehicles in the winter, theft rates, etc. Ultimately it's up to you but if you park it on the street be prepared for headaches...
Old 12-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

In the end the decision can only be made by you.

That stated, *I* would not leave a car as noticeable as an S2000 parked on the street as a regular course of action. Aside from theft, you leave yourself open to hit and run, or even just hit. There is a reason your company doesn't want their car parked on a street. Their insurance probably mandates it. A car that is not parked on the street is less likely to get hit.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like the right car for you mate
Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

When I got my S 4 years ago, I parked it in my driveway, not in the garage. I didn't have a door opener, so getting out every time to open and close the door was a bother.

After getting my top ripped one night and seats, start button and floor mats stolen, using the garage was no longer a problem.

I've parked outside when visiting friends, and I've always been nervous. I've invested in seat locks, LoJack and a two-way alarm system. I still get nervous leaving outside of a locked garage.

If you park it outside, invest in a hardtop and an alarm system. Seat locks are mandatory. A hardtop will help with a snowy winter. Get hardtop locks, too. Consider a GPS subscription.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am less nervous than others about parking outside on the street but I still say the S is a bad car to leave outside. A couple things stick out, it's small and people tend not to notice it (and subsequently run into it). It's a rag top which means someone can easily cost you (or your insurer) a lot of money by sticking a knife in your top. The seats are somewhat valuable which makes it a target for break in even when there is nothing else of value in the car (people have had their S totaled from seat theft because thieves aren't real careful about breaking in). Having said that, I have parked cars on the street around my house for a while now without many problems and I live in a urban area. It really just depends on your area. I would find a storage solution for the winter at least, especially if you won't drive it all winter.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I'd consider getting one that has some wear on it. Not a beater, per se, but not mint condition either. With street parking, it's only matter of time before it starts to get scratched and dinged up.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
If I were you, I'd consider getting one that has some wear on it. Not a beater, per se, but not mint condition either. With street parking, it's only matter of time before it starts to get scratched and dinged up.
Not a bad idea. Buying a less than mint one means you still get to enjoy the S as a great driving car but at the same time you're not overly worried about scratches/imperfections as much.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

It seems like you were never 100% committed to buy an s2000. Now that you've agreed with a seller and are few days away from picking it up, you're trying to rationalize excuses to not buy it.

I personally wouldn't recommend leaving an s2000 on the street every night day of the year. That's just asking for trouble. Some lowlife will either slash the top and steal the seats or steal the whole car.

I would suggest you wait until your move to Cali or a house with an extra garage space before purchasing an s2000.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe renting a garage from someone would be the answer ???

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts on an S I'm supposed to pick up sat