S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Having second thoughts on an S I'm supposed to pick up sat

Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I live on a street where bmw z4, corvettes and Miatas leave thei car outside on the street or open driveway. No issues. The is your guess. I recommend s locked garage.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are moving soon, I would wait. One less thing to deal with during a move. Do you know what your situation will be in CA? If not, another reason to wait. But owning an S2K is a dream here in California!!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hardtop might help for slashed roof issues and seat theft. invest in a nice alarm. Seat locks... but an S2000 isnt an outside 24/7 kind of car unless youre driving it. At a minimum on the side of the house under a cover. but sounds like thats not a feasible option in your home.

you could just put a sign that says "dont touch or ill Fob'in kill you"

ok thats my one and only FOB joke lol
Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Listen to your gut. A lesson most of us need to heed.
A S2000 has a very high theft/vandal rate when left on the street in a predictable manner. Meaning if you park the car on the street everyday in the same area, someone is bound to notice. It is not worth the constant worrying every time you leave the car. Wait until you can safely store it - life is short, you will have one soon enough.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ I agree with your advice but the "life is short/you will have one soon enough" is kind of contradictory haha
Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I decided to pass today when I got insurance quotes. $120/mo since it's a "premium sport" vehicle. I thought it'd be a lot cheaper since it was just going to be a casual/weekend car, but apparently not. 120/mo plus the 350/mo I was going to be paying for the car.. I'm not prepared to spend $500/mo on a vehicle I don't need right now. Guess I'll wait until I'm living in CA
Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Locking a convertible is not recommended since the top can be slashed in less time than it took to type this sentence. But unless it's locked there's no alarm.

How many times have you heard a car alarm? Ever see anyone do anything about it? Didn't think so.

What's the penalty for parking your company car on the street? Less than your S2000 being vandalized I guessing. But even in this case it's out in the weather every day, all day.

In my opinion all cars you care about should be in a garage. Not a carport, a garage. Personally until you move to a place with a garage I'd not own an S2000.

If I bought an S2000 in your climate I'd put it in a storage garage and start looking for homes with a garage.

- Chuck
Old 12-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Aside from all of the vandalism and theft concerns, I'd be concerned with the additional wear/weathering the car would endure being parked outside under the sun and elements all year. The soft top and rubber trim would wear significantly faster than if it was parked indoors.

Originally Posted by I-vtec. Do you?
Yeah, I decided to pass today when I got insurance quotes. $120/mo since it's a "premium sport" vehicle. I thought it'd be a lot cheaper since it was just going to be a casual/weekend car, but apparently not. 120/mo plus the 350/mo I was going to be paying for the car.. I'm not prepared to spend $500/mo on a vehicle I don't need right now. Guess I'll wait until I'm living in CA
If you ever have a locking garage spot to keep an S2K, look into collector car insurance if it's not going to be your primary car. Insurance on mine is less than $250/year with unlimited mileage, but must be kept in a locked garage and cannot be used as a daily driver.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:50 AM

I would just take a chance on parking the company car on the street. If not then I would wait til you have a good place to park the S.

I daily my S to work but it is parked right in front of my office and at home it is inside my garage. When we go out somewhere and I know the neighborhood is questionable and I will be away from my car for few hours, we just take my wife's E class.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I didn't have a garage for my S.....I wouldn't own an S.

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts on an S I'm supposed to pick up sat