S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help deciding on some springs...

Old 08-13-2003, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help deciding on some springs...

I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for, plus the threads were a little old and I think everyone has had a chance to know everthing about their springs.

My situation is that I need to lower my car soon, but I might run it on springs until I get my coilovers. Can you guys help me out and suggest a spring and the ride that is good for street, but keeps handling the same as better?

I would also appreciate it if pics were show cause I heard the Kg/mm is too low and too harsh. Please let me know whatever you can with your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Come on, I'll stop bugging, but I just need the help. I am only looking for opinions, not personal information. Come on guys, help me out and get your PPD average up!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are misinformed about the KG/MM springs. I have a set of the Super Sports. The spring is not necessarily to blame for the bad ride. It is the shock more than the spring. When you put a much stiffer and lower spring on the stock shock you are going to have a very stiff ride. There is just not much compression travel left in the stock shock. Do the right thing and change out the shocks at the same time. I have Koni shocks. My car is about 1 1/4 inches lower. It rides very well. Better than stock. I do rub a bit even with stock wheels and tires but only on extreme bumps and potholes.

Here is a pic.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:34 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me first start with the standard "just save up and get the coilovers or springs AND shocks...". with that out of the way, kgm makes two different styles of springs for the s2000 - street and race. the race springs arent *that* low, and the street springs are a tad lower than stock. both springs are high quality and will outlast your stock shocks.

eibach's pro-kit is another quality spring that you might want to look at too. the drop is minimal, and with a set of larger wheels, it'll reduce the dreaded gap somewhat.

stay away from neuspeed. i'm currently running these springs and i've had them for 2 years on the stock shocks. i have 23,xxx miles on my car right now and my stock shocks are starting to show signs of failure. this happens especially when there are two occupants in the car and over undulated road surfaces. but that's not the reason why i urge you to stay away from these springs.. the shocks will fail eventually with any aftermarket spring you decide to use. the reason why i urge you to stay away from these coils is because they're super low and it keeps getting lower. after initally dropping my car, i was down about 1.5-2". two years later im hovering around a 3" drop!! perhaps this is due to the shocks failing in conjuction with the springs, but 3" is really not safe for the roads around here.

like i said in my first sentence, save up the $$ and get it done right the first time.

b
Old 08-13-2003, 10:03 AM

Both very good and rational posts. I still want to save for the coilovers so that is why i'm not getting the shocks, otherwise that is the correct and only way to go if running springs. I wanted the kg/mm race cause it was lower than super sport although in conjuction with the shock, GChambers car has a nice drop on it. I don't have rims yet either and I was planning on running kg/mm's unless there was something better. I am gonna sell the springs within 3,000 miles or less anyways ( i think?). Keep any ideas, comments, or support towards anything. Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did Eibach's on mine this weekend. Pics are on this thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=142470
Old 08-13-2003, 10:51 AM

Yeah Brutewes, I've been following your set up as well. It looks a lot better, but I guess I got a little ricer left in me and I want it lower, hahaha. Plus I wont have rims I like for a few months so I will have to make due with lowering the gap instead of filling it in.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:04 AM

If you are going springs, go Eibach!

They are German made and go through what I would consider to be the harshest testing and quality control checks in the world.

You don't raise yourself to the world of Formula One racing by having a so so product.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:12 PM

That makes sense. My friends Rsx-S is on pro kits and he has no other suspension mod and it did help his car considerably on the mountains.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 PM

Ground Control coilovers mount right onto the OEM struts. The springs that GC uses are the "race" Eibach springs. This means that

1) they are linear which is better if you track or autoX your car

2) you can select any rate rate you want in 10lb increments from around 100 lbs to well over 1000 lbs

3) the settings that they reccommend 340 front and 380 rear work well with the OEM shocks

4) you can adjust height to the exact level front and back that you want

5) if you decide to upgrade to full coilovers you can reuse the GC "Eibach" springs on the Advanced Design GC coilovers ythat have aluminum bodies, titanium internals, redline synthetic oil and a lot of adjustibility.

Much better than simple springs IMHO.

Quick Reply: Help deciding on some springs...