S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help! Rims and Sizes. . .

Old 11-13-2002, 08:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Rims and Sizes. . .

I'm hoping to have new rims for Christmas and before I make a purchase, I need to know what to look for. Not just any rim will fit so how do I go about finding out?

For example, not all rims on TireRack.com fit the S2000. And I'm unaware of off-sets? What does this mean? I am lost and reading threads about this only leave me more

Please help if you can.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:19 AM
cbj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Airgate, why don't you just ask an easy question that can be answered in 10 words or less? j/k Seriously though, as you have already figured out there are several factors to consider, mainly radius, width, weight , and offset. I'll address offset first since it is often a limiting factor in choosing wheels for the S2000.

The offset for out car is different that most other cars out there so it's harder to try and find a wheel that is close to OEM specs. Offset is a measurement of how far from the centerline of the wheel the mounting surface is. Look at this page at tire rack: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.htm Because the S2000 wheels have such a high positive offset (+55 front and +65 rear) it means that the mounting surface is closer to the front than most wheels. If you get a wheel that has a lower offset the mounting surface will be deeper inside the wheel (closer to the centerline) and thus the wheel will stick out more. If the wheel sticks out more you will probably notice it visually and may notice it in the changes it has on handling as well. For a couple other threads talking about offset see: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=60913 and https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=60381

Although offset is probably the most confusing aspect of the wheel selection processed, I would start with picking the radius of the wheel you want first. Once you pick the radius you want (16", 17", 18") you will be able to find a wheel that will fit. I think the choice of radius is dependent upon your preferences. Generally by going a larger wheel will enable you to put rubber to the road, will look better (subjective), and will cause the car to be slightly slower (unless it is extremely lightweight). For further reading on picking the radius I would read this old thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...p?threadid=7388

Once you pick the radius of the wheel the rest comes down to what wheels you like the look of and how much you want to spend. If you want to get a lightweight forged wheel you will end up spending more than for a cast wheel.

As for the wheels at Tire Rack I'm sure Jim will chime in here. My understanding is that when you select a S2000 in the upgrade garage on the site (http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/Whe...0&autoYear=2002) the only wheels which come up are those which have offsets that tire rack finds acceptable for the S2000. Personally I think the best value wheel that Tire Rack has right now is the ASA FR1. Randy has a set on his car and once search is up and running you should be able to find the thread fairly easily.

Anyway there's a little food for thought. Have fun shopping- I hope to be face with he same dilemma someday.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks cbj! I appreciate your help on this. It's a bear finding the right rim.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

airgate, like cbj said, can't you ask a more difficult question.

This has been a huge challenge for me also. I completely agree with cbj when he says pick your diameter size first. For me my OEM 16" will become track wheels, therefore I need a set of street wheels. Although the 17s look nice I'm going with 16s because the streets are rough enough around here and I do not need a lower profile for the streets.

So once my 16" was decided I have yet to find a 16" wheel with the correct offset. Lots of people will say being in the 45mm range is ok, but I just can't bring myself to do it. For the street the last thing I want is to have the wheel farther out, thus allowing more of the body to be sprayed with all the small stones that are on some of the country roads I drive on.

Therefore, although not very exciting, my new street wheels are going to be some S2000 OEM 16" wheels that I get powdercoated, leaving the outer lip silver. I do however, keep hoping someone will come out with the correct offset before spring. Or we could figure out how to bring the JDM 6-spoke S2000 wheel over here.

And keep in mind - if money is no object you can get a much wider selection because there are wheel companies out there that will make a wheel to your specs so you have the correct offset.

Good luck!
Old 11-14-2002, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I forgot, this thread has a great chart in it for 16"
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=84069
Old 11-14-2002, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and another thing to mention are you going to lower your car thats another factor to consider before choosing wheels as you know they may rub so remember to add that in the mix before you choose the right wheel and width!!!