S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

High mileage s2k's

Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default High mileage s2k's

Just curious to see how many people have s2k's with mileage really starting to get up there. Anyone have 100k on the car?
Are there problems that start occuring at higher mileage?
I've currently got a stg4 wrx right now and while I know the s2000 won't be nearly as fast I think it might actually be more fun to drive and I'm not into racing or driving at super high speeds anyways. I have the most fun in the twisties and think the s2k would be a great car for that. I'm considering parting out the wrx and selling it for an s2k and you can get them for good prices now I just didn't know if high mileage was an issue with these cars. I know honda is usually well known for reliability. Also if looking, do you guys recommend spending a little more to get the 04+ model or are they all pretty equal?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people have 75K+ and there are quite a few with 100K+. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of them will tell you that they have had no problems outside of the normal maintenance that comes with having that many miles on the car.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 AM

I think your making a good decision based on what the few people who have owned both STIs and S2000s have said to me. Now keep in mind, I'm an auto-xer and so are these guys so they value handling and balance over sheer power.

Anyway, I've got about 88k on mine and I've auto-xed heavily since I bought it with 15k on the clock. That's 73k of serious auto-xing at least once a month or sometimes every weekend for a stint. I've broken things like axles, motor mounts and suspension mounts but I've never busted a diff and I've dumped the clutch about 300 times with r-compound tires.

The only problem I can see for you is that you'll not know how the car was treated before your ownership. I would recomend that you get the car checked out by someone who really knows S2000s. One thing you will certainly want to to is take off the valve cover and inspect the intake valve retainers. These are the first thing to go in the event of a manual overrev caused by a mis-shift. There are tell-tale signs of their failure. Look in "under the hood" for posts about the retainers to fully understand what I'm talking about.

Bottom line: the S2000 is a great car and should last a long time. Just be picky. Oh, and I have a 2000 so I can't speak to the AP1-AP2 debate but I'm sure either one will be a fun time.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 100k on mine when it got totaled... at about 95k one of my rear calipers seized up and I had to replace the set. Other than that... oil, tires and fuel.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 AM

97,XXX on mine. Still pulls like perfection.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 AM

105k on mine, needed a new motor at 93k due to a spun rod bearing
Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 AM

92xxx on mine and its still fun as the first day I drove it.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:27 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback. I do think it would be a lot of fun to drive. I most want to get it and leave the motor pretty much stock and just get a nice set of wheels and go all out on the suspension along with a few other little things but that is the bulk of it. Any of you guys live in areas that might get a little snow from time to time? That is one of the only big downfalls. My car is my daily so its got to be able to go all year round. I really would like to get one I'm just not looking forward to having to convert my wrx back to stock. mostly not looking forward to swapping the transmission back out.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:47 AM

I picked up my '00 back in November with 78k on it. Have since put about 6k on it w/no problems.

As for the snow... Well, we don't get much snow in OK (compared to ND, where I lived before moving here) and the S isn't very good at getting around in the snow/ice. Then again, that was my first winter in a car that I was still learning how to drive...
Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 AM

I recently broke the 75k mile mark. No issues aside from paint chips, wear holes developing in the top (i put it up and down several times/day), and a broken latch (my fault). It's a 6 year old car, I have no complaints. Still as fun to drive as ever!

Quick Reply: High mileage s2k's