S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda Certified Pre-Owned Warranty

Old 09-30-2001, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Certified Pre-Owned Warranty

I sold my 300zxTT a few weeks ago and I am finally buying an S2000. I had been going back an forth between a C5 Vette and the S2000 but I decided after looking at too many C5 Vettes that where almost falling apart, to buy the S2000.

I essentially stole the car from the Honda dealer ... paid $25k even for a 2000 Silver/Black, but I am wondering what the deal is with the Honda certified pre-owned warranty. Extends the powertrain warranty to 7/100k and with all this tranny/shifting problems discussed on this board, it sounds like I might need this in the future. According to Honda's web site it looks like it comes on ALL late model used Honda's purchased at a Honda dealer ?

Do you think the dealer actually has to pay extra for this ? So becuase of the low price they sold me the car for they might deny me this warranty ?

I will look into this whole situation a little more tomorrow, will probably call Honda directly to hopefully get a straight answer.

Also one other thing ... the rear window is almost completely fogged / white ... cant see out at all .. they should replace this under the service bulletin shouldnt they ?

If they do, is it a replacement part that dealers USUALLY carry ? Or am I going to hear that I have to come back in a week after they order the new window ?

The car has 24k miles, so their is still part of the bumper to bumper warranty left.

Thanks,
Michael A

soon to been S2000 owner

mikeag60@peconic.net
Old 10-01-2001, 03:44 AM

When I needed my rear window replaced it took alost 2 weeks for the dealer to get the part. Then it took them 2 days to install it. They have to use an upholsterer to sew it in. Looks much better now though !
Old 10-01-2001, 05:07 AM

The dealer pays a $350 fee (give or take) to Honda to "certify" the car.

Not a bad deal considering you get extra warranty. I heard roadside assistance comes with this. I'd be curious to know if it does, because regular Hondas dont have this!
Old 10-01-2001, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by Michael A
I sold my 300zxTT a few weeks ago and I am finally buying an S2000. I had been going back an forth between a C5 Vette and the S2000 but I decided after looking at too many C5 Vettes that where almost falling apart, to buy the S2000.
mikeag60@peconic.net
Well, my C5 is not falling apart (yet) but I have had a lot of problems.

Had it in for a recall (one of many - this one for steering column lock getting stuck in the locked position) and they cracked the dash. Have not gotten this fixed yet. This morning on the way to take my son to school the brakes stuck (on) again. After waiting for 2 minutes I was finally able to drive the car. I think there is a problem with the booster (it was replaced for sticking) when the car is cold. It "pumps up" as you use the brakes, but does not "go down" so you lose free play in the pedal and the brakes stick.

I have had the car < 2 years and it has been in the shop about 15-17 days and is going to have to go back in. The rotors are now slightly warped from all the brake problems.

The last trip to the dealer (4 days) I got a loaner Geo Metro (no lie). Thank goodness I have something else to drive.

I pretty much get treated like every other Chevy owner when I go in for service, which is not a good thing. My only consolation is "ruining" the dealer's service record with my scathing "reviews" when I get them in the mail.

All this has me longing for a trouble-free car. My '96 M Miata had 36+k on it and few problems (like me breaking off a stud changing autox tires) and 0 recalls. My '89 Civic SI was also trouble-free, and only 1 recall (ignitor). So I too am looking at an S2000.....

As to the warranty, not every used Honda sold by a dealer is "certified". If yours was not, then you do not have the warranty. If you do not, perhaps the dealer would "certify" if for you (you would likely have to pay the inspection fee and the warranty fees). On the S2000 I would think it would be well worth the cost - 7 yr,100k on the engine, diff, and tranny - another 12/12k on (some) of the rest of the car.

Some BMW owners get their own cars certified, before the factory 4yr/50k warranty runs out they pay the dealer to ceritify the car and "buy" the warranty ($1000 or more).

Dennis
2000 Corvette Convertible (red)
2002 Honda VTX 1800 (black)
2001 BMW 330i (silver)
Old 10-01-2001, 12:43 PM

I am picking up my S2000 tomorrow .. I am really very exited ... i hope it is at least 65+ degrees so I can drive the car with the top down.

They are allready giving me a hard time about the plastic rear window. It is completely clouded over. They gave me a copy of service bulletin # 00-037 "Rear window is creased, clouded, or scratched". This bulletin simply recomends cleaning it with Plastic cleaner made by 3M, Meguiars, or Honda ( specific part #'s are listed ). I really doubt that the cleaners will work but they told me they will attempt to clear it up. The window is completely clouded !

I still cant decided if I should get the Honda Certified pre-owned warranty. I called Honda direct and they told me that their was NO cost for this, however the dealer wants to increase the price of the car to from $25,000 to $25,600 if I opt for the Honda certification. This really pisses me off because they are just trying to make MORE/SOME profit on the car. I am wondering if I opt for the certification if I could end up geting them to replace the tires and the worn drivers floor mat ?

Below is directly out of Hondas web site:
Recommended Replacement Items (Replaced with Genuine Honda Parts)
1. Engine oil and filter
2. Air filter
3. Brake Fluid
4. Floor mats (replace mats, unless like-new)
5. Wiper blades
6. Coolant-if contaminated
7. Tires-minimum tread depth 4/32"
8. Brake pads-if wear is greater than 50%
9. Brake shoes-if wear is greater than 50%
10. Battery-if more than 3 years old
11. Antenna mast-if bent or sticking
12. Automatic Transmission Fluid-if discolored

I actually would pay the extra $600 but I just dont know how long I am going to end up keeping this car. I usually get bored around the 6-12 month mark and end up selling my present car to buy something different.

Thanks,
Michael

mikeag60@peconic.net

2000 S2000 silverstone/black
Old 10-01-2001, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael A
[B]
They are allready giving me a hard time about the plastic rear window. It is completely clouded over. They gave me a copy of service bulletin # 00-037 "Rear window is creased, clouded, or scratched". This bulletin simply recomends cleaning it with Plastic cleaner made by 3M, Meguiars, or Honda ( specific part #'s are listed ). I really doubt that the cleaners will work but they told me they will attempt to clear it up.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:30 PM

I would love to think the dealer would really bring the car up to spec, the tires are original (25k miles) and have approximately 50% tread left. Under the CPO warranty The S0-2's are 10/32's when new so that would mean that they might be close to 4/32-5/32's. I would definitely pay the extra if I new they where going to replace all 4 tires. This I am sure will not be done unless I put up a fight.

I really have no idea what the brake pad specs are supposed to be and what they are presently at on the car. I would naturally assume that they would tell me that they are within spec.

The other small issue is the drivers floor mat is very worn under the clutch pedal. Again under the CPO warranty they are supposed to replace the Floor mats, unless like-new .. the driver side is very far from being "like new".
Wonder what this would cost ?

I am gonna discuss this with my wife tonight, it might be worth spending the extra $600 and if they dont replace the tires and floor mat I will just contact Honda directly.