S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Honda Messed My Alignment...

Old 07-18-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Honda Messed My Alignment...

I took my car to honda before the FreshWater tour to have my rear wheels re-aligned... I was on my second set, and these... like the first... were wearing heavily just on the inside tread.

So they spend about 5 hours re-aligning my car that day.

but...

3000 miles later, my tires now look like this!

My right tire still shows decent tread and maybe has about another 5k on them (which should hold me for another month to month and a half...)

The left rear, however... is completely ing bald on the inside, and almost to the outer edge!!

What did they do to my car!? The tire's should look like the same... and now the left doesn't look like it could last another week! I had to drive in the rain yesterday and was forced to turn on the hazards and drive on the side of the highway at 35mph! and even then... the car felt as if it was going to spin!

Can I pin this against them to get them to replace the tire? or am I stuck getting screwed?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:26 PM

Damn...sucks....ok so Stealers never get to touch my car but personally when it comes to alignments, I won't ever get one unless they give me the sheet that lists the specs before and after... If they won't give me the sheet then C-YA, i'll take my business elsewhere.

BTW..5hrs for an alignment....that dealer is incompetent....my alignment took 20-30 minutes.....I'd go back to complain, file a complaint with the BBB and AHM and never go back to that dealer....
Old 07-18-2004, 01:37 PM

5 hours is a bunch of boo
Old 07-18-2004, 04:41 PM

I'd love that... but I have free oil changes and discounted service agreement for 5 years.

I need a way to simply ensure that they compensate me for the tire.

they have had good service in the past... but before this, they over filled my oil by about 2 qts. I had to reset my ECU and rechange my oil myself to get it running normal again...

I have the receipt showing what they did and why "noted that tires were equally worn on inside edges- correcting alightment for even tread wear"...
Old 07-18-2004, 06:27 PM

Looks like a combination of too much rear toe out and negative camber. I had a similar problem and my front tyres got shagged within 2000km! The alignment shop gave me back my money and helped subsidise the cost of new tyres, then I took the car to a Honda shop to have it aligned properly.

Hopefully they won't stick you with the bill since it has been 3000 miles already. Next time monitor your tyre wear carefully every tankful after an alignment or other change and have it checked out before the tread is totally gone.

Apparently some machines or technicians aren't skilled in the double wishbone suspension the car uses.

///Robin
Old 07-18-2004, 07:17 PM

I usually do check non-chalantly... but because the wear was so dominate on the inside... the other 25% of the tire appeared fine. It wasn't until I drove it in a heavy downpour for the first time (since they did the alignment)... that something was wrong enough for me to get completely under the car...

Tru... did they try to pull anything like: "alignments are not covered by waranty or garunteed at all because driving conditions like potholes and curbs can throw it off so easily..."

??

That's what I'm worried about getting around...
Old 07-19-2004, 05:08 AM

bump
Old 07-19-2004, 05:31 AM

I would be very curious to know what specs you were aligned to- I agree with the other responders who think 5 hours for alignment is crazy. How many miles were on the tires prior to the alignment? Are they stock wheels?

I recently had my care re-aligned at 11,000 miles (after first set of rears) and initially it felt off- but it turned out it was a tire pressure issue. As soon as I got the pressures up to spec the thing was great.

If you search, you'll find many people have had the alignment off from the factory. Keep in mind, however, with the amount of rear camber our cars run, you will always wear the inside edges down first. I suspect the toe was not right on your rears, which can give the rapid tire wear and feathering pattern you see.

Good luck- looks like your in for some new tires. I had the same issues in the rain- literally could not go over 40 mph on the highway without the rear end fishtailing on me. Pretty sad to see a brand new, high performance car running 40 on the highway with the 4-ways on!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:42 AM

alright... here are the findings...

remember... I have 18" SSR GT1's, with Kumho's... So someone please give me insight on whether the numbers look accurate!

Honda was all ready to replace the tires for me... but then called me back to the shop to show that the numbers were actually just fine... and that there was nothing wrong with the alignment job that they did last time...

if this is true... how in the hell did the left tire wear so unevenly!!??

Originally... how bad it was off

What they corrected it to...

What they found today...

also... what they found today...
Old 07-20-2004, 08:44 AM

whoops on the upsidedown pics!!

Quick Reply: Honda Messed My Alignment...