S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How much torque and hp?

Old 09-20-2006, 05:14 AM
P2K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much torque and hp?

Hey, I've been unsuccessful in finding a shop that would give me any kind of numbers due to the lack of s2k tuning in my area... So I figured I'd ask the forums. After all, a forum is what helped me most with my Prelude. So here it is, an opportunity to help me, the nOOb of F20C tuning, and to induldge in some dreams as well. I want to accomplish two things: wider powerband and (Duh) more hp/tq. So my question to you is: Is there a way to do both? I know that the F20C is a high-end heavy engine and I really want to bring in some more torque to the lower end for acceleration (and drifiting?) Everyone says go turbo for hp gains, but that this will only reenforce the high-rpm tendencies of the engine. They tell me to go NA for a wider powerband. What about variable geometry turbos? Would that solve both problems?

Bottom line, I don't care how long it takes. Just post your input, thoughts, and (hopefully) some details as to how to accomplish the strongest F20C around.

Thanks,
~Joe

P.S. Try to include some numbers or specifics for parts please. I need to know what my best options are.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What types of numbers are you looking for? I.e., what is your target for peak hp, peak torque, and what RPM do you need the torque to "come on".

You can use a smaller turbo that will spool faster for better low-end torque, but you won't get as much peak hp.

You could fab up a roots style supercharger that will also improve torque at low RPMs, but I haven't heard of any that like the 9K RPM redline of the F20C.

Alternatively, you could increase the displacement (bump up to a 2.2 or larger engine) and go the NA route. I suspect you'll also have to lower the 9K redline for this approach, too. I don't think this will give you anywhere near the type of gains that you'd get with a good FI setup, though.

If you're specifically looking for a drifting setup, you might try finding out what setups people are using that are currently drifting.

Edit: I just noticed that your s2ki age is 0.0 days... so I'd like to also recommend that you spend some time getting familiar with the "Search" feature. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but there is a lot of useful information already available here, and if you search, it might keep people from repeating something that's already been said. Also, by performing the search first, you'll show that you're serious about investing the time & effort necessary to do a build-up like this.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Talk to UltimateLuker about running an EMS (it's an ECU replacement.) His skill with tuning fuel, timing and VTEC transition can extend the high-rpm torque levels lower into the rev range. He probably has suggestions for I/H/E to go along with that.

Alternatively, if you feel like being cutting edge, I'd suggest a nitrous/turbo combination. I know it's been done by Bob Norwood on a Ferrari. The idea is to use the nitrous in minute amounts before the turbo spools, but once it does the nitrous cuts off. Done properly, it's supposed to yield no lag and behave pretty much like an NA car.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:29 AM

Do a serach for "sideways"

His S is produces the largest numbers i have seen on this site.

He has invested alot of time and money, but homeboy blows up everything and/or anyone that wants to run him around Cali.

Hes supercharged and has internal work done as well...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it is going to be difficult getting more low end torque/power.

supercharging with a roots blower is the best way, but the high compression ratio is bad for any real boost at low RPM. At the higher RPMs detonation becomes much less of an issue, and that is why cars with the Comptech and Vortech centrifugal blowers are pretty reliable. They are reliable precisely because they don't make much boost down low.

Turboing this car is very difficult. I wouldn't trust anyone who does not have experience with turboing S2000s to even try it.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 AM
P2K

What about variable geometry turbos? With some internal work and some tuning would a variable flow turbo be a way to turbocharge without re-enforcing the high-end tendencies of the F20C?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any turbo will increase you're torque, but will increase hp even more. the next best thing would be to buy the 2.5L stroker from Inline Pro, or to be cheap you could get gears.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4.57 gears + 2.5l stroker kit + Reeeeeally small turbo = good low down torque and power without boosting the top end too much. Not sure why you wouldn't want more top end to go along with the bottom end though?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
P2K

I do want top end also, but I want a wider powerband than the typical high-end tendencies of the F20C. The stroker kit and the gears... and a large, variable geometry turbo like the one on the tt 911? Would that give me numbers AND the powerband?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stroke that bad boy.

Quick Reply: How much torque and hp?